Goals Conceded Record?

Ibroxmassive

Someone with better access to the stats for obscure leagues might prove me wrong, but our current goals against record is shaping up to be a European one, both overall and in terms of home games.

The best record across the European* leagues for total games is Liverpool’s 78/79 season, where they conceded 16 goals for a total of 0.38 per game. We’re currently on 9 from 31 for 0.29.

The home record is shared between Pontevedra and Cordoba in La Liga, both in the 60’s, who conceded 2 goals in 30 games for 0.066 per game. We’re on 2 from 31, for 0.065.

The best away record belongs to the FC Twente side from the 70’s who managed 5 in 34 games, for 0.14 per game, which unfortunately we can’t overtake. We can draw joint level with PSG in second on 0.18 though.

*This is taken from the English, Dutch, Spanish, Italian**, French and German leagues, so there may be an obscure league record somewhere out there, but I’m pretty sure McGregor and Gerrard will be well aware of that Liverpool record and wanting to beat it. Won’t be surprised if we start seeing Shagger celebrating the final whistle on a clean sheet like a goal, and it’ll just add to his anger at any defensive lapses.

Would be lovely to see this side go down in the record books across multiple fronts.

**Taking AC Milan’s 87/88 as the Italian record because it’s bloody hard finding the data for Serie A weirdly.

0J0EE2P.png

:shh:

Last edited:
This is a very good post.

Two main ones I’d been aware of was Milan 93/94 (conceding 15 in 34) and Chelsea 04/05 (15 in 38). They are the two I’ve had in my sights and I really think we’ll beat them.

I can’t be bothered working out the decimals but I’d imagine Milan in 93/94 is better than 87/88.

They won the league scoring 36 goals, which I always find brilliant :))

Edit: I see you have 93/94 in there, but you only have Milan playing 30 games.

I’m sure they played 34 @Ibroxmassive?

This is a very good post.

Two main ones I’d been aware of was Milan 93/94 (conceding 15 in 34) and Chelsea 04/05 (15 in 38). They are the two I’ve had in my sights and I really think we’ll beat them.

I can’t be bothered working out the decimals but I’d imagine Milan in 93/94 is better than 87/88.

They won the league scoring 36 goals, which I always find brilliant :))

Edit: I see you have 93/94 in there, but you only have Milan playing 30 games.

I’m sure they played 34 @Ibroxmassive?
They’re in the table halfway, just pipped by the 87/88 season overall, but better in the away games.

Might be wrong but think the record in Scotland for a 38 game season is 17 goals conceded by the tims in the 14/15 season.

So all we need to do is concede less than 8 for the league record.

Yer, the shifting of games means a definitive number isn’t possible for most leagues, 12 goals in a 22 game season puts Dundee on 0.545, so about halfway down that list.

When Rangers won all their games in 1898/99 season they played 18 games and conceded 18 goals. I'm quite surprised that this current Rangers team is likely to concede less goals in a 38 game season than a legendary Rangers team that won all their games did in an 18 game season.

Back