Going around the Keeper

Coopertrueblue

Official Ticketer
On the back of Chillwells goal last night I always love seeing a player burst through, round the keeper and slot it in, it was always my finish if choice when I was young.

Obviously 1 of the most high profile was Neil McCann at Parkhead to win the league.

Any other Rangers or other teams that spring to mind?

On the back of Chillwells goal last night I always love seeing a player burst through, round the keeper and slot it in, it was always my finish if choice when I was young.

Obviously 1 of the most high profile was Neil McCann at Parkhead to win the league.

Super rounding a floundering Bonner is one of my favourites.

Ronaldo at Inter, can't remember who against, done a couple of step overs and put the keeper on his arse then tapped it into an empty net

I wondered recently whether this is a dying art?

Players seem to take the first chance to shoot when through on goal these days (thinking about Kent's at Pittordie in the season opener as an example)

I wonder if the stats bods have looked at it and players are told to take this option as it's a better scoring chance.

Laudrup versus Gordon Marshall versus the filth at Hampden (when they were playing their home games there), Tom Boyd buried somewhere near the half way line and Brian O'Neill trying in vain to stop it crossing the line. Rumour has it that O'Neill is still chasing it and that this is when Tom Boyd first thought about a new career haunting houses.

Last edited:

Players seem to take the first chance to shoot when through on goal these days (thinking about Kent's at Pittordie in the season opener as an example)

I wonder if the stats bods have looked at it and players are told to take this option as it's a better scoring chance.

One of the reasons imo, is the tactical game. You very rarely see a massive space between the backline and the goalkeeper and a through ball played that gives the forward the time to get around the goalkeeper.

Loads of teams are more tactically switched on and will play a "low block" against quick strikers.

Ronaldo and Romario were masters of it.
Laudrup, McCoist and Hateley all did it regularly. Defoe used to do it a lot when he was younger, as did Andy ( Andrew.) Cole.
The sight of the keeper floundering as the striker strolls past is equally beautiful and funny.

Not Rangers. But Ronaldo R9 was the king at this.

I think part of the reason you see less of it now is that diving is more prominent. Half the time a player rounds the keeper they look for the slightest bit of contact to fling themselves to the deck rather than having the confidence/composure to slot the ball into the net.

Can’t hear rounding of the keeper without thinking of Frank Skinner and Alan Hansens bet on Fantasy Football league.

now that’s a throwback

One of the reasons imo, is the tactical game. You very rarely see a massive space between the backline and the goalkeeper and a through ball played that gives the forward the time to get around the goalkeeper.

Loads of teams are more tactically switched on and will play a "low block" against quick strikers.

I was going to say this.

Watching that Ronaldo clip up the thread it struck me how often he got in behind, and some of the ridiculous space he got between the GK and defence. You hardly ever see that now, not just us in Scotland against defensive teams, but all over.

I think this is exactly the reason. Some stats goon will have calculated the xg or something from attempting to round the keeper v taking the shot and they’ll be trained to take the shot. I’m sure I read it somewhere, I’ll try to find it. It’s sadly a dieing art as it’s one of the most satisfying ways to score, leaving the goalie (and occasionally a bonus defender too) floundering like an idiot.

i wonder if players are told to shoot early before the keeper has had a chance to set his feet. which can be very effective if they hit the target of course

Not Rangers but lost count the amount of time the late great George Best rounded the keeper, think he made a point of it on occasion. Bud Johnston sometime in the 60's can't recall the opposition, he was something special in his day.

I think part of the reason you see less of it now is that diving is more prominent. Half the time a player rounds the keeper they look for the slightest bit of contact to fling themselves to the deck rather than having the confidence/composure to slot the ball into the net.
You know I think you are right, a lot of the swagger has gone from the game and replaced in some instances with fakery and cheating, sickening really, matter of time before they are playing in skirts.

Back