Going back to 5s after 12 year break

Good on ye for getting back into it and good luck. I started back playing 8 years ago after a gap of 15 years (i'm 50 now) my advice would be to have a good stretch and warm up beforehand. My first game back was going really well (the standard of opposition was quite poor) I got a bit cocky and decided to desert my sitting at the back role, went upfield, shouted for a square ball and lined up to hammer it home but as soon as I swung my leg I felt my quad go ping. Was out for about 2 months after that. Rolled ankles is my biggest issue these days, these indoor futsal courts are pretty unforgiving.

Make sure you've got astroturf boots and not studs or blades if you're playing 5s, especially if you've had an ankle injury. Said on a few threads about 5s, astroturf boots exist for a reason, nothing else grips the turf correctly, and the wrong footwear is one of the main contributors to folk getting injured on these types of pitches (see Jamie Murphy last season as an example).

I used to wear studs/blades but switched to turf boots about 6 years ago and hadn't had an injury (other than a couple of muscle strains) for years; then, a few weeks ago, I decided to wear my mouldies to fives, caught the studs in turf and twisted my ankle. I was absolutely raging with myself and have no idea why I chose to do it.

What am I to expect here :D

Late teens until mid twenties played 5/7/11s pretty much 3 times a week until I had literally no ligaments in one of my ankles

Got my ankle surgery which was at the same time I bought my first house so with the recovery and having little spare time as the months/years went on I never went back.

All the games I played in filtered out too until there was no game to go back too.

So am I daft to even think about making a return.

In my thirties now and having not even kicked a ball never mind run about in so many years I’m thinking it could be a disaster.

Someone talk me out of it please :D

Me and you must be the same age.

I have played solidly from late teens till now.

I'll ne honest mate, even now I feel strains and heavy legs the next day. I train in the gym 3/4 times a week also.

Good luck to you lad, but stay in goal and say to the guys you need to rest as your not use to it.

Where you playing? Get good boots.

See your ankle make sure you have a tubbie grip wrapped around 3 times to keep it from moving too much.

Both my ankle ligaments are done I do this before the games and never not do it. It will reduce risk but can still be injured.

Make sure you've got astroturf boots and not studs or blades if you're playing 5s, especially if you've had an ankle injury. Said on a few threads about 5s, astroturf boots exist for a reason, nothing else grips the turf correctly, and the wrong footwear is one of the main contributors to folk getting injured on these types of pitches (see Jamie Murphy last season as an example).

I used to wear studs/blades but switched to turf boots about 6 years ago and hadn't had an injury (other than a couple of muscle strains) for years; then, a few weeks ago, I decided to wear my mouldies to fives, caught the studs in turf and twisted my ankle. I was absolutely raging with myself and have no idea why I chose to do it.

Always a question I wondered about - why professional footballers don’t wear AG studs on plastic. The answer I got back was it’s a mix of grip and familiarity - the players break in their boots over multiple training sessions so don’t want to switch to one they have hardly worn.

Agree on the studs if you have ankle or knee issues in particular.

It's difficult to start with, and you'll be sore for days after but playing 5's regularly, at least once a week, it's crazy how quickly you get fit again. Being fit and 5's fit are two completely different animals if you ask me.

Always a question I wondered about - why professional footballers don’t wear AG studs on plastic. The answer I got back was it’s a mix of grip and familiarity - the players break in their boots over multiple training sessions so don’t want to switch to one they have hardly worn.

Agree on the studds if you have ankle or knee issues in particular.

I think Killie/Livi/Accies players who are on it every other week do use them, but I suppose the answer you got is probably the right one. If I were the manager I'd be making sure everyone had the appropriate footwear for the pitch.

I'm nearly 48 now and still play twice a week. One of the groups has about 4 guys in it who I started playing with in my late teens. It gets harder as you get older though, I played last Monday and my dog was barking during the night and my knee and ankles were so sore I had to slide down the stairs on my arse as I couldn't walk down them.

Never played football for about 10 years until a couple of years ago

Started playing 5’s indoor and could hardly stand never mind run

Gave it up after a few sessions

Then started playing 45’s

Train once a week for 1hr 30mins and play 30 mins on a Sunday on average

Have tore my quad muscle, hamstring, done my knee, tore my calf muscle and rolled my ankle, all of which put me out for 2-6 weeks at a time

Kept at it though and am 10 x fitter than I was and play 5’s weekly in the close season and hold my own for 1 hour or so

Only advice I can give is warm up properly - stretching is a must, only takes a few minutes and wear proper shoes for the surface, to avoid any slips etc

I attempted 8 aside at 48 after about 10 years away from similar games. I was ok for the first 5 minutes and then was totally disorientated and felt like my feet were tied together. I guess a lot depends on who else you’re playing with. I’m now thinking I might have another go and write off the first couple of games.

I play 45’s Level here in Perth Australia.

The ages range between about 40 - 65

(You are allowed 3 players under 45, but must be older than 40)

I would say average age in the league is about 50

Roll on, roll off subs

One guy who comes to our training is French and 73 years old!!

There is absolutely no reason why people in their 40’s and early 50’s can’t play football, whether it be 5’s or 11’s

Never stop playing football.

For over 50's and you haven't played for years play Walking Football, you may laugh, but honestly once you have tried it you will be hooked.

It is expanding all over Scotland so there must be one near you.

Gets you off that couch, keeps you fit, mentally it's terrific and socially it's great.

Back