Going back to 5s after 12 year break

Ulsterscot

Official Ticketer
What am I to expect here :D

Late teens until mid twenties played 5/7/11s pretty much 3 times a week until I had literally no ligaments in one of my ankles

Got my ankle surgery which was at the same time I bought my first house so with the recovery and having little spare time as the months/years went on I never went back.

All the games I played in filtered out too until there was no game to go back too.

So am I daft to even think about making a return.

In my thirties now and having not even kicked a ball never mind run about in so many years I’m thinking it could be a disaster.

Someone talk me out of it please :D

I played walking football with guys aged 50 and 60 (no laughing at the back) as part of my rehabilitation...

And even taking that up to a light jog cun*ed me.

People talk about pains the next few days, BUT one thing I got a few hours after was headaches.

Used a lot of energy and sweated a lot and didnt take enough water or fluid back in. So thats my advice for you too. Drink water, drink water and drink again.

What am I to expect here

Late teens until mid twenties played 5/7/11s pretty much 3 times a week until I had literally no ligaments in one of my ankles

Got my ankle surgery which was at the same time I bought my first house so with the recovery and having little spare time as the months/years went on I never went back.

All the games I played in filtered out too until there was no game to go back too.

In my thirties now and having not even kicked a ball never mind run about in so many years I’m thinking it could be a disaster.

Someone talk me out of it please

Did the same recently after about 7 or 8 years out and got a bit of a shock at how unfit I was. First game back passed me by and was seriously blowing within about 5 minutes. Going out for a couple of runs during the week has helped but I still have a touch like Sadiq unfortunately though!

Make sure you warm up and cool down properly. Drinking milk after the game helps get rid of the lactic acid in your muscles.
Expect to be much more keen to take your turn in goal where you don't have to run about.
Don't be put off though. Keep at it as long as you can if you enjoy it.

Good luck!

Seems every time I make that decision I end up with some form of ankle / knee / hamstring / calf injury! Still keep doing it though so if you enjoy it, it’s worth the risk.

Best advice is probably to remember you’ve not played in a long time, you won’t be near as good as you think you are.

You’ll have lost a bit of pace and touch but you weren’t that good or fast back in the day anyway.

:D

I played in a few followfollow games. Struggling to remember yourself though with obviously a newish moniker.

What am I to expect here

I’m in my late 50’s and still play 5’s every week. One or two younger lads in their thirties play, but mostly it is the same group of us who started back in our mid thirties, hardly having kicked a ball since our early 20’s.

I also had bad ankle ligament damage years ago and now play with my ankles heavily strapped every week, and I've not had a recurrence since.

I’d encourage you to play as long as is humanly possible and definitely to get back into it asap. :))

Last edited:
Just done the same recently.

I’m quite fit but was still half a yard off the pace and got really frustrated. The brain still knew what to do but the body didn’t get me there.

Ended up going back in goal.

I’m in my late 50’s and still play 5’s every week. One or two younger lads in their thirties play, but mostly it is the same group of us who started back in our mid thirties, hardly having kicked a ball since our early 20’s.

I also had bad ankle ligament damage years ago and now play with my ankles heavily strapped every week, and I've had a recurrence since.

I’d encourage you to play as long as is humanly possible and definitely to get back into it asap.

I’ll be the oldest player by about 7 years with a couple of boys in their late teens :D

Just enjoy it & don't get too frustrated. Your brain & body won't be as in sync as they once were. Oh, and play for as long as you can.
I occasionally play with a guy well into his 60s.

Definitely go but take it easy. Your mind will try to trick you into thinking you've never been away once the game starts. You will still be sore regardless of how slowly you think you've taken to bed yourself back in. Good luck and keep going back if the body allows.
Edit. You will have lost the ability to put any power into hitting the ball hard and you'll wonder what the hell's happened to you.

What am I to expect here

After what happened yesterday, Watch those Hamstrings.

Go for it OP. Thirties is young. A bloke I played regularly with is in his 60s and he does just fine, just manages himself when playing to try and avoid overdoing it. I had an objective to play until I was 50. I managed that, played a couple of times a week until a few weeks after my 50th when I was challenged, went down with a thump and cracked a few ribs. Super painful for 6 months and I now haven’t played for a year as other things took over my time. But I’m already hugely bored with the gym, just cancelled it (again), have never enjoyed running and therefore need to do something to get a bit fitter. So I’m pondering a return to 5 a side myself. Fact is I enjoy it too much so stopping altogether is a scary thought. Even though I know it will hurt and my body will not do what my head tells it to do. If anyone has any bright ideas on alternative fitness ideas that don’t involve a gym membership or running I’d be delighted to hear them.

Be prepared for the feeling of running in quicksand. My first game back after 4 years fell over a few times trying to keep up. But am fit as a fiddle now :)

What am I to expect here

Depends wholly on the standard, really.

Positioning is KEY in 5s and don’t run around like a headless chicken.

I've been playing 5's at Bannantyne's Livingston for roughly a year now, 43 years old but 2 weeks ago I planted my right foot and turned too quickly and done my knee cartilage, looks like my football career is finally over.:(

I played 5s till I was 32 and as all the guys, and my, kids grew up it fell apart. We started up again about 8 years later. It wasn't played as hard and fast but we had a good kick about. We played till we were in our 50s, but one by one the niggles built up and we dropped out. We started to play against our sons, late teens early 20s, and usually beat them, because we knew how to ping the ball about and tire them out. By the time I was 52 it finally finished as there were too many crocked and the young ones started to move on.
I'd say go for it. If it's the same guys it will be slower. You'll never get your fitness back to what it was and the aches and stiffness will last longer.

Wow. Im 38 and if I dont play for a few weeks I feel it, as its my only form of exercise just now. Feck knows what I'd be like after 8 years. (I do have Asthma mind you).

Got a game tonight, indoor in a hall. It's not that high a standard but by feck you feel it.

Last edited:
I’m 40 and have returned to playing regularly recently. Biggest thing for me, which a few have mentioned, is warm up, warm down, and take a big bottle of water with you and drink it during the game! I made the mistake of thinking I was still 20, doing a couple of half arsed stretches then trying to run about, and my calf’s in particular soon let me know about it! I also jacked in a game last year playing with very mixed ages as the young boys just had too much energy, my new game we’re all within 6 or 7 years of each other.

Enjoy it!

Prepare yourself to be in pain for at least 4 days afterwards.

Once you get used to it again though, like others have said, play on for as long as you can.

I just gave up fives a few months ago, and I am 62. Had to give it up due to pain in my heels. Played with guys aged from their 20's up to the 50's. No quarter asked or given, tackles flying in, and got shouted at if my man ran off me and scored.

Get through the first three weeks and you will be fine, and keep playing as long as you can and as long as you enjoy doing it.

You'll love it, the adrenaline and enjoyment will see you through. Tomorrow you'll be fine but come Tuesday you will wake up thinking Giant Haystacks is laying on top of you as you struggle to get out of bed, you will then be walking and talking like Stephen Hawking for a couple of days. If you can go for a decent walk/jog Thu/Fri just to shake off the legs

I went back after a seven year gap and although it took me about a month to get back in to it, I am now playing twice a week.

42, play every week on a Sunday night with mixed crowd, but mainly aged 30 and below. Monday-Thursday sore in various places, telling myself I need to work out more and get fitter. Friday, Saturday eases off, feel ok as tucking into junk food and alcohol all thought of fitness a distant memory, Sunday, choking for a game... then repeat.

What am I to expect here

Dinnae try and get into the same strip.

Be careful, Achilles ruptures are common for those of us going back to footy after a long time out.

I snapped mine in two 9 years and haven't played football since.

I regularly have long spells out of football. Pattern is usually easing myself back into it, really enjoying it for 3/4 weeks, then overdoing a sprint and/or twisting and turning and putting myself out for a month or 2, and just thinking "I'm too old for this" (43). I then gradually forget, and repeat the cycle every 6-12 months :D

I'm 45, played 7's for the first time in about 8 years last week. Pulled my groin in the warm up!!!! Definitely going back when it's better but realised the old body needs a bit more tlc than it did in years gone by!!!

Good to get back, I stopped playing 11s at 23 then went back at 30, stopped playing 11s at 37, now play 5s once a week, do a good warm up and just sit back or take a turn in goals until you build up fitness, and stretch after the game, use a foam roller, it massively helps!

You will enjoy the first 5 mins or so then your lungs will be fucked for another 15 mins then when you get through that barrier it's all good :)
Until the next morning when your legs are fucked and even worse on the second day before the legs start to recover.

Play 5s every week for a month or so and it starts to get easier,and the legs will still hurt but not as much.
I actually find 5s more knackering than playing an 11 a side vets game as you are constantly having to run at 5s.

I miss the days when I could play football and wake up next day in no pain at all

Go for it. It's just a matter of getting through the fitness thing. Once you've played a few times you'll get used to it and enjoy it. As I get older I've found that stretching before hand is key to avoiding muscle strains and pulls that arise from going too fast too quickly. And I am never without my water bottle, I take a slug whenever I can. I'm 64 and play twice a week. Most of the guys are younger, but one is 72 and is some player!

Played my first "proper game" in well over a year last week. Loved getting back into it - once I'd got my second wind.

Lungs were on fire afterwards and the pain in my lower calves subsided after 4 days. Totally worth it though.

I went back to 11s last week at 34 after an 8 year break. I’m a keeper and thought I was relatively fit but f**k me, it takes it out you.
I feel your pain mate. I went back to goalkeeping at 11s last Saturday after a year and a halfs break at 38 years old.
Could hardly walk for about 4 days after it. People don't realise how much goalkeeping works muscles that you don't normally use.

My tip would be to start doing 30 minutes of yoga a night. It helped me wonders when I did my knee ligaments in my 20s. It's been five years and they're still a mess but it's manageable.
Good luck!

What am I to expect here

RIP pal

Don’t give us your sh*te.

I want to see you flying into tackles taking no prisoners and shooting on sight.

Get tore right intae the b*stards!!!

Back