Golazzo: The Football Italia Story

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Noticed this is on Btsport 1 at 10.45pm tonight

James Richardson explores the surge in popularity Italian football enjoyed in the UK in the years that followed the 1990 World Cup

Absolutely loved this as a kid growing up, Batistuta blitzing the back of the net, Signori with his one step back penalty kicks, the list is endless.

Last edited:

James Richardson explores the surge in popularity Italian football enjoyed in the UK in the years that followed the 1990 World Cup
I loved that as a kid! Seemed like he was living the dream in Italy covering their football!

Remember watching the show in the 90's when Enrico Annoni signed for the poets from Roma and James Richardson , covering the story said , something along the lines of , "The Roma fans called him 'Tarzan' , so I suppose he's now 'Tarzan Of The Papes' !"

This, aside from Rangers, made me fall in love with the beautiful game.

If someone else selected Super Ally as their pick in the playground, my other hero was Roberto Baggio ‘Il Divin Codino’.

Glory days!

Where’s the ‘love’ button on FF?

Brings back great memories, also reminded me of how great a league that was back in the day.
Italian football was always intrinsically linked with defence and the “cattenacio” system, but in the 90’s, and even the late 80s, the italian League was by far and away the best league in the world. It was glitzy, glamorous, the football was sexy, it was just fun to watch.

it had the pick of the worlds best players, and 2 of the great tactical changes of the game were honed in this league and proved very very successful.

I would argue that no league has came close to the Serie A in the 90s before or since.

Loving this, although will watch it again as Mrs S shoved me outside for that anticipated meteor shower(damp squib)

Just waves of reminiscence-I love it.

Turns out Paul Ince isn’t as big a wank as he seems.
Beppe Signori still remains THE most underrated centre forward goal scorer of all time.

Absolutely loved this as a kid growing up, Batistuta blitzing the back of the net, Signori with his one step back penalty kicks, the list is endless.

Alvaro Recoba, Ruben Sosa, Boban et all. What a sensational league serie a was back then.

I loved Italian football in the 90s. In fact, if you didn’t live through this are you even a proper football fan?

Back