Golden George Graham

I remember he was the preferred choice on here to succeed Advocaat.

I was certainly in favour of it.
I was too, but he said on Talksport a few years ago that he never had any contact with Rangers and a move would've been unlikely as all his professional life was spent in England.

Never stopped Souness or Gerrard.

Was he banned for taking bungs? He just fell out of football completely.
He was the only one that got caught , at that time bungs were rife in the game and many top managers of the time were allegedly involved.
If you read the article you will see that he paid the bung back with interest .

Class player, good manager, but ultimately a wrong-un.
A wrong un ? in what way , for taking a bung ,as I said in another post that was prevalent at that time and almost accepted as part of the game.
Obviously things are much better in the game now where we are paying gazillions to shady agents :eek:

Bungs then & bungs now. You’ll never get it eliminated. All managers are at it.

I recall watching an interview with him, it was an intriguing watch. He had a real tough upbringing, his father died leaving his mother to bring up six kids, George being the youngest. He idolised his oldest brother who effectively became the bread winner for the family. Perhaps that is what fuelled his love of the good life?

A wrong un ? in what way , for taking a bung ,as I said in another post that was prevalent at that time and almost accepted as part of the game.
Obviously things are much better in the game now where we are paying gazillions to shady agents :eek:
Wrong-un probably not the most apt description, but lack of integrity definitely, just like all the rest of the bung-takers.

was it not down to him, advocaat and taylor to take over smith by the time advocaat was leaving he had already picked mcliesh himself to take over

I don't remember him being mentioned to replace Smith, but he was a firm favourite amongst fans to succeed Advocaat.

He was never seriously in the running though as far as I'm aware, Murray having already made the decision that we needed to seriously downsize and McLeish got the gig on the back of one half decent season with Hibs.

I don't remember him being mentioned to replace Smith, but he was a firm favourite amongst fans to succeed Advocaat.

He was never seriously in the running though as far as I'm aware, Murray having already made the decision that we needed to seriously downsize and McLeish got the gig on the back of one half decent season with Hibs.
it was front page of the papers, murray had made a big deal about getting the best and im sure confirmed it was down to them i think some fans still thought they could get graham because of the previous link but that boat had sailed and it was already in stone that mcleish was coming before it became public

I remember an interview from a long time ago George Graham staring that Arsenal and Rangers were the last great bastions of British football. Top man.

That’s how I remember it too, favourite with the fans but wasn't going to work for what Murray needed at that time

Back