Golden Years 1974

1974 a golden year?

Not in my house it wasn't.

It started with a defeat at the scum hut. Only the second time in 60 years the filth did the league double over us.

Well I suppose things took a turn for the better in the September mind.

Last edited:
The second half of the year was good with the foundations of the 1975 league championship being laid with a solid start for once, other than a draw on the opening day. I still can't believe Bremner missed that chance against Brazil btw!

Was that the year Athletico kicked them up and down porkheid.Good memories.Funny thing was they would have won the tie over two legs anyway.

20 years old and got married in 74,Rangers then Rangers now R.T.I.D. every season regardless of trophies I am proud to be a Bear and glad I have no connection to the fhilthy bheasts and their history.

That Brazil v Scotland game in 1974 i was on the beach down in Bournemouth listening to that game on the radio.

The second half of the year was good with the foundations of the 1975 league championship being laid with a solid start for once, other than a draw on the opening day. I still can't believe Bremner missed that chance against Brazil btw!
I was at that game in Frankfurt, and to be fair, it wasn't as easy a chance as folk think.

Reactions: ao2
The worst thing about that year (and I lived in Dundee at the time) was Rangers losing 0-3 against Dundee in the Scottish Cup, in what was one of the first-ever Sunday fixtures. The crowd was 65,000.

The worst thing about that year (and I lived in Dundee at the time) was Rangers losing 0-3 against Dundee in the Scottish Cup, in what was one of the first-ever Sunday fixtures. The crowd was 65,000.
Remember it very well as it was quite unreal feeling to have a game on a Sunday.. am sure we played in red that day.. but don’t ask me what happened last week

We were awful all season 73/74. Losing 3-0 at home to Dundee in the cup encapsulated everything. It was during the 3-day working week caused by the first miner's strike when games could not be played under floodlight because of the power shortage. This was the first game we played on a Sunday. Ibrox was full - 65,000. Dundee were a very good team then. We only started to see the light when Jock Wallace shifted Greig to left-back, Derek Johnstone to midfield and introduced Iain MacDougall beside him at Fir Park. Ian St John was managing Motherwell then and they were going well and favourites to win that day. We trounced them and that laid the foundation for the League win in the following season.

Remember it very well as it was quite unreal feeling to have a game on a Sunday.. am sure we played in red that day.. but don’t ask me what happened last week

I was there also mate.....we played in blue that day.
We wore red against them a few years later in a 6-3 cup win at Ibrox.

1974 a golden year?

Not in my house it wasn't.

It started with a defeat at the scum hut. Only the second time in 60 years the filth did the league double over us.

Well I suppose things took a turn for the better in the September mind.

From whenever Bomber scored the header at the Rangers end at the piggery , things looked a hell of a lot better mate.

I was there also mate.....we played in blue that day.
We wore red against them a few years later in a 6-3 cup win at Ibrox.
Ok now as pedantic is my middle name I did a check and you are quite right about the cup game that year but in the league we wore red as we beat them 4-0.

Ok now as pedantic is my middle name I did a check and you are quite right about the cup game that year but in the league we wore red as we beat them 4-0.

Aye and I think the 6-3 game was in 78.
I was standing in the Broomloan that day right behind the goal and saw five first half goals fly in.
Even a collectors item from big Tam as he took a nosebleed and got up the park to score with a front post header.

Back