Goldson

Goldson had a very good game yesterday

Hes not been great lately but yesterday he was a brilliant defender, his passing was lacking but so what defensively he done great

People get right hard on hatreds for players and nit pick something rotten

His passing is erratic, no question. But why does he have to be the playmaker? Why does no one in our midfield say “here, Connor” and take it from him?
This is a symptom of our consistently misfiring midfield. All Kamara wants to do is recycle it, he needs to offer more. Steve Davis, too, he must see it.
Hagi would do it, get him in the middle, we’re wasting him on the wing.
GVB must give us a functioning midfield, it’s the key to everything.
I think it's him that sees himself as the playmaker. He can hit a good diagonal ball out to the left occasionally but any more than a 5 yard pass up the middle he should be told to stop it.

5-CE1-E34-C-2146-4-B2-A-81-B8-ABE831274874.jpg
I thought to myself last night during the game that he had lost possession of the ball a good 5 or 6 times and look all over the place. Bored at work just now and decided to look at the statistics for last night and discovered that he gave away the ball 16 times last night.

Credit where credit is due for that clearance last night (if he even meant it) but he’s an absolute bomb scare with the ball at his feet compared to last season.
Alfies passing was far worse in my opinion, i don’t think i saw him complete a pass all night

Both Goldson & Bassey couldn't make the simple ball into midfiled work when coming out from the back
For me they were the wrong balls to try in the first place but I also get that him & Bassey were forced into these passes as no other option was on for them
They need to learn that in this position if its too late to pass back to the keeper then a ball over the top into space behind the oppositions defence is what's needed

He could do a diagonal pass 30-40 yards but the 10-15 yard straight forward pass was a struggle

It didn't help that the midfield weren't showing for the ball and the rest of the side were far too static at times.

Saying that, defensively he was excellent and Hibs resorted to targeting Bassey and Barisic with long balls as Goldson won just about every header.

Getting done by Nisbet so easily, on two occasions no less, was worse. If Nisbet was actually wearing football boots instead of roller skates it could have been a long evening for him on the yellow. Thankfully, he never turned up. With the Campbell mistake, he has that sloppiness in him. He did something similar against Dundee United earlier this season.

The passing was frustrating but he was at least trying to make things happen. It's probably not advisable to play it into lanes that aren't open though.

I must admit to being a bit worried when he was booked so early in the match, but he played a steady game with no rash tackles and of course he had a vital clearance which prevented a certain goal. Overall he had a decent performance.

Not sticking up for him in any way but the lack of movement in front when our defenders have the ball is really poor. Most of the time the ball goes into feet with a defender right at their back.

He telegraphed his pass every time could tell a few seconds before he released it where it was going.

Decent defensively and can’t argue with the effort.

His possession lost stat will include times he has just papped it out for a throw in - which is usually ok with me.

Kept the zero. ;-)

I’ve seen enough horrible defenders at Rangers to suggest he’s still excellent.

Danny Wilson could pass, but he couldn’t defend. I’ll take the shite passing fir good defending.

I thought to myself last night during the game that he had lost possession of the ball a good 5 or 6 times and look all over the place. Bored at work just now and decided to look at the statistics for last night and discovered that he gave away the ball 16 times last night.

Credit where credit is due for that clearance last night (if he even meant it) but he’s an absolute bomb scare with the ball at his feet compared to last season.
He had a decent game defensively but his passing went to shit second half. Remember, a lot of those 'possession lost' stats will be clearances - headed in many cases, or tackles - that ended up with Hibs getting the second ball. There were some howlers in there as well, of course. Too many.

He has to, and will, improve but its seems to me that right now folk are just looking for any stick to beat him with. He's our best - fit - centre-back by a county mile.

His passing was terrible but the lack of movement in front of him was worse. He kept looking up to clip a ball over the top but Morelos was too busy thinking off the sanctuary to make any runs in behind

The ball looked to run slow on the pitch last night, was loads of it by both teams

His passing is erratic, no question. But why does he have to be the playmaker? Why does no one in our midfield say “here, Connor” and take it from him?
This is a symptom of our consistently misfiring midfield. All Kamara wants to do is recycle it, he needs to offer more. Steve Davis, too, he must see it.
Hagi would do it, get him in the middle, we’re wasting him on the wing.
GVB must give us a functioning midfield, it’s the key to everything.
I’d give this a double like if I could. It’s not just a disease of this season - having a team pinned back and relying on our centrebacks to be the ones that play a line-splitting pass has been going on for ages.

Not an excuse, but the pitch was sticky as hell last night. The ball got stuck under people's feet and passes were disjointed for both teams.

I agree with the some posters though, he defended well but I remember him losing the ball a few times.

Where do you get these stats for players as interested to see how some other players did.

I agree he gave away possession too much but it would be interesting to know just how many of that 16 were say, clearances out of the box that just happened to go to a hibs player and how many were unforced errors

H wasn't the only one last night there were a few culprits, our passing overall was not up to par last night to say the least, but.....3 points at a difficult venue and we move on.

He wasn't the only one who lost the ball multiple times, the midfield distribution middle to front was utterly woeful for the most part. Goldson was an absolute rock however despite the passing

Possession lost stats from that site:
Barisic - 21
Kent - 17
Tavernier - 17
Goldson - 16
Aribo - 16
Davis - 14

The rest of the team are less than 10. I'd like to know how the number is calculated though, are the full-back numbers high because they are including crosses for example. Goldson's number could be higher because he attempts riskier long passes too.

He wasn’t the only one with the passing. More skilled players than him were poor too. I think that would probably be the biggest disappointment for the management team. We’ve all heard Makaay’s comment about tricks for the circus and I’m sure they’ve been focusing on doing the basics well. That didn’t happen last night.

We know he’s very good at playing out from the back so it’s fair to cut him so leeway in this regard, next game he’ll be back to himself. Last night he defended well throughout the game, even from some of his own errors:))

Some suicide passes last night putting us under needless pressure.

I'm usually his harshest critic, according to some, but I thought his actual defending was brilliant. That touch to flick it over Nisbet's head in the 2nd half goes in the back of the net for an own goal 9/10 times. Bassey as well, some really needless posession lost and pressure gained from taking the ball a stroll and losing it out of posession but he also defended brilliantly imo.

Could have been a lot less nervy if we just cut out daft stuff like that because Hibs never really laid a glove on us.

According to that site, the most tackles in the team by a distance, with 5, was Aribo.

There was that many misplaced passes by players on both teams that it made me think the pitch was a bit bumpy although it looked fine on TV.

I thought he was poor last night. His clearances were crazy and my heart was in my mouth anytime he had the ball.

Although I’ve went right off him Since the contract talks broke down so I pick up on his poor efforts more than what he does good.

His flick away from Nesbit I think at the back post was outstanding but his passing was atrocious.

I think last night there was an element of over trying on our part. I think it was in their head to put things right and they put too much pressure on themselves, tried to force things. Then when it started not to come off, confidence got knocked.

Look at Kent by the 50th minute he looked devoid of confidence, gave up possession a lot, went to sleep a lot. He needs to stop fixing his socks and concentrate on the player he is meant to be marking. I had him off after 55 mins but GVB stuck with him and thank %^*& he did because he got the penalty.

Those stats just prove what my eyes had already told me. His passing was poor, along with the rest of the team, but he defended well.

He had three passes out of defence in a row that went straight to a hibs player and came back at us, although in fairness i thought midfield movement was pretty shocking and he had literally nothing to aim at most of the time

I thought he was poor last night. His clearances were crazy and my heart was in my mouth anytime he had the ball.

Although I’ve went right off him Since the contract talks broke down so I pick up on his poor efforts more than what he does good.

The whole team's passing last night was shocking. Worst I've seen from us in a while.

Excellent defensively but rather than dwell on his poor distribution, I'd ask why is no other player taking the ball off him? On the odd occasion Bassey drove forward with the ball but apart from that we see Goldson looking for options, and all he'll see is the backs of shirts.

And it's obvious other teams are wising up to his nervous passing and are marking up to leave him free.....happy to wait until his pass gives away possession.

Thought he was solid last night as were the full back four.

His use of the ball, especially second half, was poor.

Everyone's passing was awful last night. Why pick on Goldson?
Because when (and where) Goldson does it inevitably puts us under pressure straight away. He needs do stop trying to be clever with it and just play the simple ball to the nearest blue jersey. If there's not one on, then back to the keeper or just f*ck it long into the channels.

You know folk are getting desperate when they're criticising our centre backs for their passing versus considering the fact he done his job by saving a certain goal to give us a clean sheet, i.e. his job.

His clearance was brilliant & contributed massively to us getting the 3 points
Moving forward others need to make runs so Goldson can knock the ball wide at times as the middle of the park passes wasn't the right thing for me
Goldson & Bassey needed movement so whilst they were to blame for poor passing at times they were forced into trying it

So sorry to say this but I was his biggest fan but he’s now a liability so poor, heads all over the place and doesn’t want to be here.
Get him to France !!
I agree a total bombscare anytime the ball is near him and his passing and reading of a ball is shot,his heads gone it will be hard but hopefully we can get a better player in that position for a price that we can afford which will always be a struggle in the market were shopping in.

I've seen quite a few people on social media saying Goldson should've been sent off last night.

What for? Did I miss something?

Back