Goldson Contract ?

I would expect Gerrard staying for a free hit at the CL would entirely depend on the budget he was given.

What we don’t want is arguments over a budget which sees him leave mid-to-late Summer.

No one will expect much in the CL. A draw and a win improves his standing. Defeats, not too surprising. Third place - a success.

He could do more damage to his managerial career moving to an English club and struggling. Realistically, where is he going - Leeds, Newcastle, Villa, maybe Spurs…?

I think he’ll stay for one more season.

Our business approach in general is worrying. We aren’t turning profits on players, we aren’t really generating any transfer income at all and we aren’t bringing youths through either. For a club with our financial history, this is all very worrying.

I thought the idea was we were going to become a modern, progressive club - one which would look to develop cheap, young players and turn a profit.

At the moment though we have a squad depreciating in value. I don’t see how this is a sustainable business approach.
That's exactly what I was saying.

Incomings with a shoestring budget have been impressive before the last few but the outgoings and contract decisions have been consistently appalling.

Baffles me how anyone is quite happy for us to have 5/6 of our best players with contracts ending in 2023

Every player should be on a six year contract minimum! That way we'll never lose any player on a free.

Edit: And Lundstram's wage seems to go up every time it's mentioned on here.
Most of our key players having contracts run out in 2023 at the latest is not exactly comforting.

Nobody expects ten year contracts but we also don't want a position where pretty much most of our assets could easily turn round and prefer a sign on bonus and huge wages at a new club.

The forward planning has been absolutely brutal and some of us are sick of hearing players are signing new deals then hearing nothing for another 6 months while their value decreases.

Can’t see Gerrard going unless he gets a big offer, where do you expect him to go?
We’re looking at a pretty sizeable rebuild next season and I just think if Gerrard wins 56 and secures Champions League football he’d maybe be happy to leave on a high note. He’ll have been four years away from his family at that point so it would be understandable if he wanted to dedicate more time to them.

We’re looking at a pretty sizeable rebuild next season and I just think if Gerrard wins 56 and secures Champions League football he’d maybe be happy to leave on a high note. He’ll have been four years away from his family at that point so it would be understandable if he wanted to dedicate more time to them.
Think he would want a crack at CL football, on the other hand, should we fail to win the league he might feel he has gone as far as he can go with us.

It really isn’t a great league. It’s obviously miles better than the SPL, but it’s massively overrated and filled with over priced mediocrity.
Covid has majorly affected Championship clubs and many have had to cut their cloth accordingly. It is far from impressive at the moment.

I often watch Huddersfield, their team is total dross. They’ve made huge mistakes in almost every game, haven’t paid a fee for a player, have only signed players who already lived within a commutable distance, and were struggling to offer £7k a week to players. They’re 7th.

What its disappointing, players running their contracts down is not something the club can prevent.

In fact we've taken advantage of exactly that for many members of our squad.

Goldson seems likely to go, at least, things seem to suggest that.

IF we win the league this year and he wants a shot at a club down south then so be it, he will have my upmost thanks and respect.

As for the gaffer, IF we don’t win the league I can see him leaving and the board will need to find a budget for what looks like a small rebuild

We should never be in the position where a player runs down their contract and walks for free. I'd rather have £5million towards Goldson's replacement than an unfocused Goldson walking for nothing and having to find money to replace him. Viktor Nelson was available for that kind of money. Malmo's Swedish/Bosnian centre half was also pretty impressive in the games against us, although our scouting needs to extend beyond players who play well against us,
We can't have it both ways....
We are signing players on freedoms of contract.
We will lose players on freedoms of contract.

Totally agree, from a business point of view I would say Ross Wilson has done a poor job so far.

Yes he helped deliver 55, but that doesn't excuse the massive losses we have made in the transfer market since he joined the club in 2014.

Since he joined the club in 2014 the club has probably spent over £200m in wages and about £40-50m on transfer fees yet we have brought in a very small amount in transfer fees.
If you're going to say someone has done a really poor job, probably best to know roughly when he joined

Totally agree, from a business point of view I would say Ross Wilson has done a poor job so far.

Yes he helped deliver 55, but that doesn't excuse the massive losses we have made in the transfer market since he joined the club in 2014.

Since he joined the club in 2014 the club has probably spent over £200m in wages and about £40-50m on transfer fees yet we have brought in a very small amount in transfer fees.
Ross Wilson only joined us less than 2 years ago, he was at Huddersfield back then :))

B-D

:shh:

Utter pish.

Ross Wilson joined us in October 2019?

Goldson said in a press conference a month ago that the paper talk about him not signing a contract was rubbish and he was hoping to get it over the line shortly.

Can't stand the lies. The mercenary pish from players who's fans are so good to them.

The gaffer also said he was a man of his word and will see out his contract with us. I can't see him getting champions league football then go manage some mid-table at best premiership side.

Actions speaks louder than words
True, but it could be that they are ironing out details like release clauses, bonuses, length of contract - all that jazz or simply aren’t being offered what they want, and it’s a case of ‘who blinks first’.

Goldson in particular doesn’t strike me as the type of guy who’d say something that had no merit too it.

Either way, it does need sorted relatively soon though.

But who down there would really tempt him?

It’ll need to be a top job to take him away from 3 in a row and CL football imo

A SPFL winners medal won't mean as much to Goldson as putting £15-£20k a week onto his wages and a decent signing bonus.

We can't have it both ways....
We are signing players on freedoms of contract.
We will lose players on freedoms of contract.

We signed Lundstrom, and so far he's been a disappointment.

We don't need to accept Goldson walking for nothing as being a good deal for the club just because we signed Lundstram on a Bosman.

Why? To go where?
Do you not maybe think he would like a shot of UCL when we win the league again.
I would normally agree but something in his body language has me thinking he’s maybe got to the stage where he thinks he’s taken us as far as he can with the type of budget we have. This seasons transfers dealings can’t surely have been what he had in mind, I’m mindful of the fact we didn’t sell anyone when we thought at least one would go and we didn’t get the cl money we craved.

We are a side in need of a desperate lift

Is there any news on Goldsons contract?

Why has no one asked the manager in his press stuff?

Pretty critical for us he signs January 1 he can sign for who he wants and then there's no point playing him.
Surely he wouldn't do us over like that!!

He knows his value to us and knows we need the cash, surely he'd do us a turn sign a contract and then leave?

I would be good with that, and wish him well.

if CG can deliver the title this season he leaves with my best wishes. what would we get for him at this stage of his contract? he's worth ten times any transfer fee to us this season.

if CG can deliver the title this season he leaves with my best wishes. what would we get for him at this stage of his contract? he's worth ten times any transfer fee to us this season.

Every one of these posts are missing the point

You cannot allow your first team players to wind down their contracts and leave for nothing regardless of him "securing CL football"

He does it others follow, sell him in January

At the end of the day we need better than Goldson if we want to compete in the CL.

We need to be aspiring somehow to bring in a higher quality of player ( that applies to all our players)
Better than Goldson? Really?

I wonder if Goldson would prefer medals from Scottish football or getting two or three times the salary at some bottom half of the Premiership also-rans?

I say this every time we have this discussion..the likes of Goldson will earn a fortune playing down south, but won't play for a club as big as ours..and won't compete for silverware.

Spl medals don't have much if any clout to players down south. A medal isn't going to pay the bills when his football career finishes, earning fortunes while playing will though. He might not play for a bigger club than us but playing for a team who's at the bottom end of the epl has way more positives to a player than winning medals in scotland.

Spl medals don't have much if any clout to players down south. A medal isn't going to pay the bills when his football career finishes, earning fortunes while playing will though. He might not play for a bigger club than us but playing for a team who's at the bottom end of the epl has way more positives to a player than winning medals in scotland.
If someone offered you thousands more a week what would you do?

If someone offered you thousands more a week what would you do?

It's not just the money, the standard of the stadiums where you play every week is alot better. Get more recognition every week because more people will be watching the games. Full stadiums, champions league football doesn't even balance it up. Just about everything benefits the player to go. If your confident in your ability and perform then one good season with one of the bottom sides will get you a move to a better club. It makes no logical sense to play spl football if an epl club wants you. That's where we are at the moment and until we can get money into our league it's the way its going to stay.

We should be doing all we can to make our league a better product so it generates more money so we can pay more. That means working together though and alot of the posters on here would rather starve clubs of money etc which in the long run does more harm to our club than good. It would take compromises from every clubs fans up here to work but it seems in scotland a large majority of every fan base hates the other clubs more than they love there's so it's a non starter.

Back