Goldson Contract ?

Kamara still has another season after this one. He will be sold next summer if he does not sign.. We f&cked up with Goldosn though. I do not care how good he has been our club should not be letting prize assets run down their contracts.
Can see a couple being off in January and next summer to avoid that very problem.

I have a feeling Goldson is waiting to see if we are in a position to get into the Champion's League after this season.
If we win the league and qualify, he'll sign a new contract.
If we don't, he'll be off.

Quite why the club are allowing this to happen though is very puzzling. I can only imagine it is some sort of gentleman's agreement between Gerrard and him.

Personally I think if we win the league and are guaranteed UCL money to find a replacement, i'd tell him "thanks for the memories, see you later", although Gerrard won't do that.

This is like a partner cheating and you telling them you’re ok with them carrying on sleeping with other people, so long as they stay until the kids leave home.

It’s really sad and desperate to allow him to stay and leave for nothing.
It’s football mate, hardly even remotely close. Players do it at every team and we are no different.

Get the league won and automatic champions league and I doubt anybody will be that hung up about goldson leaving on a free.

Also, our recruitment has been pretty poor in last couple of windows, so no guarantee you will get a good replacement in January and you are left with Simpson possibly having to feature in a lot of games.

Folk will say I’m wrong but I’m convinced that Goldson is not concentrating for whatever reason. His mannerisms compared to last season are way off. I’m of the view he and Kamara wanted moves and didn’t get them.

Golden looks like a player who knows he’s leaning next summer and his head is else where brain dog and farts galore.

I don’t even care that he is leaving for nothing it’s the performance he’s providing it’s rotten.

It’s not ideal seeing players running down contracts, but if we keep him and win the league and lose out on a fee for goldson I’m ok with that.

Rather that than sell him in jan for 3-5m and be without our most consistent player for last 3 seasons.

Consistent in that he doesn’t miss many matches, but not consistent in turning in top drawer performances. 55 winning season apart.

It’s football mate, hardly even remotely close. Players do it at every team and we are no different.

Get the league won and automatic champions league and I doubt anybody will be that hung up about goldson leaving on a free.

Also, our recruitment has been pretty poor in last couple of windows, so no guarantee you will get a good replacement in January and you are left with Simpson possibly having to feature in a lot of games.

We can walk this league without him. The SPL looks utter horse shit this year (so do many other leagues, given covid). If he isn’t that fussed for being here, then I would be moving him on and winning it without him - which we definitely can do.

Folk will say I’m wrong but I’m convinced that Goldson is not concentrating for whatever reason. His mannerisms compared to last season are way off. I’m of the view he and Kamara wanted moves and didn’t get them.
Gerrard on record as saying that the club has made them (both players) good offers.Also Gerrard also on record saying that ‘he knows these players well’ and hinted he didn’t expect them to do ‘the dirty’.
That was right at beginning of the season.

Now we are just into the season, and we are already out of CL and started badly in Europa Group stages, and dropping unnecessary points in the league.
Neither player setting the heather alight, and Goldson’s pass back indicative of how he has been playing since the season began.

I wonder if he Gerrard can still say this with a straight face.
Might be a good question for the H & H lads at the next press conference.

If that's the case can we have any of the guys he's going to be replacing?

Kurt Zouma
Craig Dawson
Angelo Ogbonna
Issa Diop
Winston Reid

Good luck in getting games there

Reid hasnt played for West Ham since 2018. He spent time on loan at Kansas City and Brentford.

I really can't see him wanting to stay in Scotland beyond this season.
And yet is having the best time in his career. We have two problems if Goldson runs down his contract: we lose him for no fee, and we have to fork out for a replacement. This will have possibly affected our budget already, because we can't afford to be blind to the impact of that. Replacing Goldson is going to be an almighty task next summer.

And yet is having the best time in his career. We have two problems if Goldson runs down his contract: we lose him for no fee, and we have to fork out for a replacement. This will have possibly affected our budget already, because we can't afford to be blind to the impact of that.

We should never be in the position where a player runs down their contract and walks for free. I'd rather have £5million towards Goldson's replacement than an unfocused Goldson walking for nothing and having to find money to replace him. Viktor Nelson was available for that kind of money. Malmo's Swedish/Bosnian centre half was also pretty impressive in the games against us, although our scouting needs to extend beyond players who play well against us,

We had to sell that summer and a deadline should have been set,he told us he wanted a crack at the Premiership,it's been poor planning from Wilson.
There is no way he's signing on now as the figures which he and his agent will receive as a Bosman will be massive.

We should never be in the position where a player runs down their contract and walks for free. I'd rather have £5million towards Goldson's replacement than an unfocused Goldson walking for nothing and having to find money to replace him. Viktor Nelson was available for that kind of money. Malmo's Swedish/Bosnian centre half was also pretty impressive in the games against us, although our scouting needs to extend beyond players who play well against us,
I agree completely, and this is not something we can even remotely afford to do.

We had to sell that summer and a deadline should have been set,he told us he wanted a crack at the Premiership,it's been poor planning from Wilson.
There is no way he's signing on now as the figures which he and his agent will receive as a Bosman will be massive.
We can't blame Wilson here , Goldson is 30 in December his next contract will be his last " big " one, he'll sign on a bosman for some newly relegated EPL side or promoted championship side and that will be that , if any club had genuinely showed an interest Goldsons agent would have told them what they looking for on the basis on being a bosman next summer .........

A big decision needs to be made to shake us out of our malaise. If Goldson and Kamara are leaving and their form isn't great, do we need to make big decisions, ie drop Kamara, and plan and bed in for future. Obviously it's a no go if Kamara was in his usual good form, but he isn't.
Tougher with Goldson, as we've no one else. If there was others available, I'd be looking at Goldson in the same way. We've tried a lot of permutations to shake ourselves this season.

Goldson will get one chance of Champions League football in his career - with us next season. I think he’s waiting to see how things are going in January - if it looks like we will win the league then he will stay for that otherwise he’ll be off for nothing.

.It doesn't bode well for me when 6/7 weeks ago, Gerrard was saying publicly that Kamara was offered a new deal and it was over to him, nor does it over the summer with the talk of Goldson being offered a new deal and alas nothing.

My worry is with the balance of trying to get 55, we have missed the boat with several of our sellable assets.

Bigger and better than Goldson have come and gone at Ibrox.
I like him but if he wants to move back down south fair enough.
Get a decent replacement in and we move on.

I have a feeling Goldson is waiting to see if we are in a position to get into the Champion's League after this season.
If we win the league and qualify, he'll sign a new contract.
If we don't, he'll be off.

Quite why the club are allowing this to happen though is very puzzling. I can only imagine it is some sort of gentleman's agreement between Gerrard and him.

Personally I think if we win the league and are guaranteed UCL money to find a replacement, i'd tell him "thanks for the memories, see you later", although Gerrard won't do that.

I expect because he's so crucial and probably too expensive to replace with equivalent quality and experience. Particularly experience of Scottish football and life at Rangers.

In a number of ways this season could be seen as equally important as last. Whoever claims that auto CL spot can steal a march over the other. If we had got it this season I would have seen it as the platform to build an era dominating side.

I expect because he's so crucial and probably too expensive to replace with equivalent quality and experience. Particularly experience of Scottish football and life at Rangers.

In a number of ways this season could be seen as equally important as last. Whoever claims that auto CL spot can steal a march over the other. If we had got it this season I would have seen it as the platform to build an era dominating side.
Almost, auto CL spot.* ;)

Allowing Goldson to run down his deal because of his importance has now set the precedence for others.

What's to stop Kamara, Alfie or Kent saying to the club they're just as important at Goldson and if it's all the same to the club, they'll run down their contract, continue to play and leave on a free as well thanks very much.

I don't blame Goldson. But talking about the need for a player trading model and allowing a multi million pound asset to walk out the door for nothing simply isn't good enough on our part. Especially if you're relying on money in the door to refresh the squad.

Spot on.

Could ultimately cost us well above his potential transfer value.

Fair point, maybe we could term it probable.
Aye, for what it’s worth I agree with all your post and if it’s correct then I kind of understand it from the the clubs point.

I’d let it slide with Goldson, but losing money on Kamara et al would be negligence.

Last edited:
We should not have Goldson, Morelos, Kent, Aribo and Kamara in a position to go on a free fairly soon.

If that pattern continues with contracts and the recruitment continues to go downhill then serious questions need to be asked of Ross Wilson, it isn't good enough.
Be careful, you’ll have the £20m per player with 20% sell on fee and not a penny less brigade on soon.

what we are doing just now is not how you run a business.

I am a bit lost on how we would have been down money, we don't need to spend 6-8m to get a player like Goldson, especially given an entire years notice on the situation.

He's now out of form, is likely leaving for nothing and we have far less to go and bring in someone committed who can replace him or even hopefully bring us up a level.

The attitude of assuming it will gift us the title or there's no better out there simply means we won't be able to sell our assets and find new ones for less than we sell, that's supposed to be our business model.

It's an awful business approach.

Rangers are a football team with people paying thousands a season to watch the team. Not everything can be a business decision.

If we couldn't get a better centre half in for the money anyone was willing to offer for Goldson, which may well have been a pittance give SG has said there were no offers for our players, then we would have to spend money we didn't have with no guarantee of success.

You can't just assume there was a £7m offer on the table and another centre half willing to come for £4m of the same level. On that basis, the prospect of CL next year and better Europa results and therefore cash this year are the beta option.

I'm pretty sure the successful businessman at the club understand this situation.

Spot on.

Could ultimately cost us well above his potential transfer value.

Agreed mate.

It's one hell of a risk to say for supporters to say their fine with him leaving on a free if he helps us get CL football.

There's no guarantee of that, there's no guarantee of no injury and there's no guarantee he won't start phoning it in as the contract gets closer to finishing. His form has already taken a noticeable dip.

Again, no slight on Goldson. Only doing what is best for him but I'd love the club to come out and explain their reasoning behind it.

Said this needed sorted in the summer transfer window and got slaughtered. knew what he was doing the whole time and the fact weve allowed him to run down his contract is criminal. We need to be selling our assets for profit not letting them go for nowt.

Allowing Goldson to run down his deal because of his importance has now set the precedence for others.

What's to stop Kamara, Alfie or Kent saying to the club they're just as important at Goldson and if it's all the same to the club, they'll run down their contract, continue to play and leave on a free as well thanks very much.

I don't blame Goldson. But talking about the need for a player trading model and allowing a multi million pound asset to walk out the door for nothing simply isn't good enough on our part. Especially if you're relying on money in the door to refresh the squad.
Exactly, there should have been a cut of point at the end of the summer where Goldson was moved on if he was not signing a new deal.

Think at times the board are worried they will upset Gerrard

Agreed mate.

It's one hell of a risk to say for supporters to say their fine with him leaving on a free if he helps us get CL football.

There's no guarantee of that, there's no guarantee of no injury and there's no guarantee he won't start phoning it in as the contract gets closer to finishing. His form has already taken a noticeable dip.

Again, no slight on Goldson. Only doing what is best for him but I'd love the club to come out and explain their reasoning behind it.
I wonder if there is something in the Doekhi rumours. He's out of contract in June.

Agreed mate.

There's also no guarantee that the club didn't try to sell but weren't getting anywhere or nowhere that Goldson fancied. Or even that the replacements we could afford were of a level we were happy with.

Again, it's not black and white. Coming out and admitting we wanted him to leave but he chose not to, wouldn't do any good.

He was hedging his bets
I think he would struggle in the EPL. He doesn’t cope very well with players who have pace and good movement to get in behind him.
This. He can be a bit flat footed and clumsy.
Not athletic enough for the EPL.

Totally agree, Rangers management need to get tough and not let themselves get dicked about by players

Ahh the mighty Middlesbrough who’s squad includes Uche Ikpeazu, Isaiah Jones, Darnell Fisher and Matt Crooks who were all far, far from stand outs in Scotland ;)
Isaiah Jones will go far he looks quality. Matt crooks looks to be a bargain aswell. Barring two teams there isn't one I don't think that would play in the championship.

Back