Goldson Contract ?

From defoes interview after we won the league it came across as a few thought that they were getting a move in the summer.goldsons interview as well seemed liked he wanted a move as well
I think thats whats caused this dip in form

Bids never came in for a few that wanted away and they are pissed off

just my opinion

What if we had a look and decided that there was no adequate replacement in our price range?

What if we've decided he will be far easier to replace if we get the CL money?

It's not black and white.
I don’t like comparing players as each situation is different, but look at how much Ajer sold for. Even if we got half of his amount, are we saying we couldn’t find a decent CB for £7M?!

Can’t help but think the rumour Lundstram is our highest earner has made it more difficult to negotiate contracts with players who actually have been integral to our success.

Goldson on a free will get an excellent signing on fee + wages down south where he ultimately wants to be.

This seems like a 2+2=5 situation, particularly when it comes to Goldson.

We would have been speaking to Goldson about a new deal long before Lundstram ever arrived on the scene, that’s not to say things can’t change in terms of demands etc. but if there’s ‘a reason’ I’d be surprised if it’s that.

I think he would struggle in the EPL. He doesn’t cope very well with players who have pace and good movement to get in behind him.

Depends who he would be playing for I suppose.

Shane Duffy looks decent in that league, he was an absolute bombscare in the SPFL. Depends on the system and what’s around you I guess.

Goldson would comfortably get a game for West Ham, he is class, some of our supports breakdown of his ability is so weird.

Yeah, he’s a good player.

If we use West Ham as an example, it all depends on where they sit in the league. He’s a good “backs to the wall defender” but if the challenging for euro places then I don’t see him playing much.

In respect of Goldson, I don’t think he was signed with a future fee in mind.

Aribo and Kent are different

Yeah, he’s a good player.

If we use West Ham as an example, it all depends on where they sit in the league. He’s a good “backs to the wall defender” but if the challenging for euro places then I don’t see him playing much.

In respect of Goldson, I don’t think he was signed with a future fee in mind.

Aribo and Kent are different

That level isn't miles removed from a lot of the Europa League football we have played the last few years where Goldson has looked completely comfortable, he is a hell of a lot better than a backs to the wall defender.

It's very hard not to make a connection between his contract saga and his dip in form. Hope i'm wrong but he is playing like his mind is not 100% on the job at the moment.

It's shambolic it has been allowed to reach this stage to be honest. He should have been set a deadline to sign a new deal and if he didn't sign then he should have been punted before the transfer window closed.

We shouldn't be letting any assets leave for nothing.

Agree. I don’t care if he goes now only that we get money for him if he does.

People saying we won’t be able to replace him if we get £5 million. It’ll be even harder next season when we get nothing.

Im sure that all the indecision regarding contract talks for 2 or 3 of our players is definitely affecting their performances and the teams as a result

Im sure that all the indecision regarding contract talks for 2 or 3 of our players is definitely affecting their performances and the teams as a result
I don’t know about everyone else, but I know that when I, or people that I have worked with have either decided it’s time to move on, the level of work you put in isn’t anywhere near what it usually is.

Can’t imagine being a footballer at a club you might not want to be at for much longer is any different.

I wonder if there is something in the Doekhi rumours. He's out of contract in June.

It would make sense to retain Goldson for the champions league qualification season if we knew his replacement was a free.

I really hope we have some quality lined up because we are going to need a turnover of 5-6 of our established players in summer.

McGregor, Goldson, Davis, Arfield, Jack if he doesn't recover well, Kamara if he's doesn't sign on.

That's before we even look at bids coming in and players who might ask for a move.

That £30m qualification money and some good forward planning are absolutely vital

This seems like a 2+2=5 situation, particularly when it comes to Goldson.

We would have been speaking to Goldson about a new deal long before Lundstram ever arrived on the scene, that’s not to say things can’t change in terms of demands etc. but if there’s ‘a reason’ I’d be surprised if it’s that.
Of course I’m speculating. Nobody on a football forum knows the exact ins and outs of the situation.

Agents are the worst thing for the club and I was just wondering whether it would be a factor. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if Goldson renews his contract with us, I think he’ll be off.

I don’t like comparing players as each situation is different, but look at how much Ajer sold for. Even if we got half of his amount, are we saying we couldn’t find a decent CB for £7M?!

I'm more than certain we could but that's assuming there's a club who want to give us £7m that Goldson wants to go to. If he doesn't, you then start down the road of sweetening him with some cash to go there.

There's a load of assumptions by people who think that we should have sold him.

I'm pretty confident the millionaire businessmen who fund our club know the ins and outs of a player trading arrangement.

Agree. I don’t care if he goes now only that we get money for him if he does.

People saying we won’t be able to replace him if we get £5 million. It’ll be even harder next season when we get nothing.

Doekhi, the Vitesse captain at 23, was quoted at 2m with a year left in the Summer.

He can be signed in January pre contract.

If Goldson wants to see out his contract then try and get a big move then I'm sure Gerrard and club are aware of the situation. Gerrard had to do a lot of convincing to get Goldson and his family to relocate up here soon after having a baby so maybe the plan has always been to try and get a move back down South.

Got no problem with that as long as he keeps putting in the performances and the situation isn't too distracting.

Don't think we have handled the contract side particularly well. If Goldson was going to sign a new deal he would have by now, now we will either lose him for nothing after the season or get a minor fee for him in January from some club who doesn't want to wait 6 months which won't make much sense if we want to win the league.

Don't think enough is being made of the contract situations of the majority of our most valuable players. Kent, Morelos, Kamara, Aribo and Helander's deals all expire in 2023. Clubs at our level are a stepping stone to a higher level and wage, but we haven't proven to anyone we're actually willing to sell our players and the players and their agents will take notice when the club wants to renew their contract.

If they do want to stay , they'll have an agent emailing stuff like "my client wants an extra £10,000 a week " etc , not many loyal players in the game now they are like independent contractors going for the best money - annoying but understandable

Don't think we have handled the contract side particularly well. If Goldson was going to sign a new deal he would have by now, now we will either lose him for nothing after the season or get a minor fee for him in January from some club who doesn't want to wait 6 months which won't make much sense if we want to win the league.

Don't think enough is being made of the contract situations of the majority of our most valuable players. Kent, Morelos, Kamara, Aribo and Helander's deals all expire in 2023. Clubs at our level are a stepping stone to a higher level and wage, but we haven't proven to anyone we're actually willing to sell our players and the players and their agents will take notice when the club wants to renew their contract.
This is a big concern for me. A few AGM’s ago Dave King talked about having £100m of talent, we’ll we don’t if we let everyone run down deals to 12 months. We could end up in a position of needing a Timmy level overhaul if we’re not careful.

If Goldson wants to see out his contract then try and get a big move then I'm sure Gerrard and club are aware of the situation. Gerrard had to do a lot of convincing to get Goldson and his family to relocate up here soon after having a baby so maybe the plan has always been to try and get a move back down South.

Got no problem with that as long as he keeps putting in the performances and the situation isn't too distracting.

Goldson may well be looking at settling back down south if he has a kid coming up for school age. I doubt Goldson goes in January though because we will still have a league to win and Helander will only be coming back to fitness. It would be a huge risk to rebuild a defence mid season.

Let him leave for free and look to a Bosman precontract in January like Doekhi to replace him. If we win the league it's a hit worth taking because Goldsons consistent fitness and experience makes him more important than a few million when there are £30m reasons to win this league

Reactions: Ter
I say this every time we have this discussion..the likes of Goldson will earn a fortune playing down south, but won't play for a club as big as ours..and won't compete for silverware.

I honestly cant see him getting a move to a Premiership side down south i just cant see it

Prime example of my thoughts was that stupid back pass to McGregor yesterday under no pressure - he does these things A LOT.

Isaiah Jones will go far he looks quality. Matt crooks looks to be a bargain aswell.
That’s my point though, players that struggled in Scotland but are making it in the championship. There’s plenty of examples of this

The championship is a good league to watch but it’s hardly filled with world beaters

I'm more than certain we could but that's assuming there's a club who want to give us £7m that Goldson wants to go to. If he doesn't, you then start down the road of sweetening him with some cash to go there.

There's a load of assumptions by people who think that we should have sold him.

I'm pretty confident the millionaire businessmen who fund our club know the ins and outs of a player trading arrangement.
Ok, so belittling anyone who dares question what a bunch of millionaires are doing?

It wouldn't be the first time, or the last time "millionaire businessmen" at our club have made an arse of things, much less player trading arrangements.

All good things come to an end unfortunately, part of the team may well start breaking up and he could be the 1st to leave
This team needs breaking up they have went stale , Goldson sell in January withdraw our offer & get a new c/h we got the best years out of him I don't think he is good enough for the EPL anymore he has lost something from last year & it seems so have the team we are so flat & no temp about us the team needs freshening up .

If we win the league this season and bring in some quality I'd be hopeful Kamara signs on. Goldson I think is going. The rebuild we have ahead is something to be excited about.

There are some good Bosmans out there with a bit of pedigree who should be gettable

Albert Gudmundsson 24 yr old AZ Alkmaar right winger. Icelandic international, well over 100 games in top flight Dutch football and a good age.

Danhilo Doehki - discussed at length, Captain of his team, 23 and schooled at Ajax for years. He's a big athletic lad well over 6 feet tall and broad shouldered. Former U21 international

Konstantinos Laifis, 28yrs old CB captain of Standard Liege and Cyprus. Left footed. Loads of top end experience in Belgium.

If true he could still have signed a contract extension with us with some sort of release clause, so we would at least get something for him.
That would have been a sensible outcome but hey we should know the footballers me me me mentality by now.

Plenty teams do it.

Jordan Jones scored against us while knowing he was coming to Rangers remember.

It's especially common in Germany where Bayern sign Dortmund and Leipzig players who continue to play against them for 6 months.

You also have loan players who have came up against their parent teams in the CL and knocked them out.

We need Goldson right now. Simple as that. And players are professional in the main. Even our own Sakala continued to score well for his previous team depsite already agreeing to leave.
Killie continuing to play a player is a pointless argument to make.

Yeah a few do it for sure and it works out ok

Its not a thing id like to try out though
The French u21 superstar at the knew camp didn't try a leg for 18 month , so him christie & Ajer were all sold for some sort of money we need to do the same with our 2 contract rebels

If we win the league this season and bring in some quality I'd be hopeful Kamara signs on. Goldson I think is going. The rebuild we have ahead is something to be excited about.

There are some good Bosmans out there with a bit of pedigree who should be gettable

Albert Gudmundsson 24 yr old AZ Alkmaar right winger. Icelandic international, well over 100 games in top flight Dutch football and a good age.

Danhilo Doehki - discussed at length, Captain of his team, 23 and schooled at Ajax for years. He's a big athletic lad well over 6 feet tall and broad shouldered. Former U21 international

Konstantinos Laifis, 28yrs old CB captain of Standard Liege and Cyprus. Left footed. Loads of top end experience in Belgium.
Aye, but have any of them been let go by English clubs?

If he doesn't want to be here get him to %^*&! His performance yesterday was honking and its not the first time this season he's been poor.

Spot on TBA.

We shouldn’t worry about change, we should embrace it.

We’ve seen we aren’t good enough at the higher levels in Europe, so let’s use this opportunity to get closer to the level we want to be at.

It’s been very noticeable in Europe how teams are adopting a more athletic & pacy brand of football, with Slavia, Malmö & even Lyon being so energetic & strong.

I hope we improve this aspect to our squad.

I posted pre-season Goldson should have been coerced out of the club if he wasn’t going to sign a new deal. Met with abuse for not showing him loyalty etc.
Him & Kamara look well off last season’s performances

If he wanted to stay he would have signed a new deal in the summer.
I've got no issues if he wants to move.
However, we should have given him a deadline on the new deal during the summer and punted him down south for a 5m+ fee.

That level isn't miles removed from a lot of the Europa League football we have played the last few years where Goldson has looked completely comfortable, he is a hell of a lot better than a backs to the wall defender.

Has he looked completely comfortable? I’m not sure I agree!

I’m a fan of Goldson, I would like to see him extend his contract but if he has a wish to leave in Jan or next summer, so be it

Needs to be sold January to at least recoup our investment

We cannot be allowing first team players to leave for nothing no matter how vital we think they are

Who is paying money for him in January when his deal runs out at the end of the season? Only way we're getting money for him now is if a lower grade EPL side or promotion chasing Championship side has an injury problem at the back and they need some urgent help.

I think it’s the right decision given the prize of automatic CL qualification this year. He’s been in the main excellent again. We’d be a clusterfuck without him

Who is paying money for him in January when his deal runs out at the end of the season? Only way we're getting money for him now is if a lower grade EPL side or promotion chasing Championship side has an injury problem at the back and they need some urgent help.
Given the reward, it would be insane letting him go in January unless a wild offer comes in.

Back