Goldson first pick CB

It looks like the management team feel that way at the minute. I'll assume that was why he was rested today.

Goldson finished last season very strongly , he has carried on where he left off , all be it it's pre season .

Him and one other for me , Bounus is we look strong there for the first time in a long while with Edmundson Katic and Helander .

I can’t understand some of the negative posts about him on here at times.
He’s my 1st choice every time.

So based on 20 minutes of helander you think He has done enough to clearly make the position his?

We didn't pay that type of cash for squad back up.......he was bought to be a cert starter....of course I could quote you Grezda but in theory we aren't spending that type of cash other than to improve on what we have.

Goldson has looked really fit and sharp since pre-season so he has to be first pick for me.

3 games in 12 months before joining us after his heart operation, he was always going to tire at some point in the season, but he is looking super fit and dangerous in opponents box already pre season. Last year will have done him the world of good.

Imo at this point it is goldson and katic with helander the most likely one to upset that pairing.
Each of the four offer good skills to the management , and helander is the fifth as yet unknown quantity if you like.
Nothing suggesting we arent stronger in CD than last season .

Nah Katic looks over at Goldson all the time for instruction. He’s still got positioning work to do, a fully fit Goldson is our best CB.

Not a fair judgement point - gaffer May have said goldson is the lead, listen to him hence he looks as opposed to being nervy or anything else.

However if that is the instruction then it shows goldson is the stronger I’m the gaffers eyes

We didn't pay that type of cash for squad back up.......he was bought to be a cert starter....of course I could quote you Grezda but in theory we aren't spending that type of cash other than to improve on what we have.
Just cause we spent the cash doesnt mean they go in to tbe first team. You are right about grezda as an example and also borna. We spend money to improve the squad. High transfer fee shouldnt dictate who gets a starting place
If we spent 5m on a striker tommorow does that mean alfie is 2nd choice or does it mean we have good squad options

Not a fair judgement point - gaffer May have said goldson is the lead, listen to him hence he looks as opposed to being nervy or anything else.

However if that is the instruction then it shows goldson is the stronger I’m the gaffers eyes

Katic is rough diamond he will become an incredible CB after learning from experience beside him. Big Goldson organised the backline like no other Defender in the Team.. he’s visibly vocal all game.

Apart from his little blip, Katic was solid today. For me its him and any combination of the others. Of course it will be rotation and all will get game time.

I wouldnt rush into a judgement when theres no need and also Helander is clearly not ready , good bit to come - i hope.

He’s about 5 days into his pre season compared to weeks for his team-mates. Although I’m wondering what it is you think he did wrong anyway?

Some folk have a weird love thing for Katic so can’t see that Goldson is the better player so have a go at him to try and prove their already wrong opinion :)

I like Katic but Goldson is the better of the 2 currently.
I think when he plays his best Katic is better but Goldson is much more consistent over a season so it has to be him.

I find it really bizarre that folk think Katic is a better player than Goldson.

All about opinions of course, even really wrong ones.

Just cause we spent the cash doesnt mean they go in to tbe first team. You are right about grezda as an example and also borna. We spend money to improve the squad. High transfer fee shouldnt dictate who gets a starting place
If we spent 5m on a striker tommorow does that mean alfie is 2nd choice or does it mean we have good squad options

Well who within our defence is valued at more than Helander? Katic clearly remains doubtful to some of us and indeed the manager albeit he maybe had personal issues last year.

The absolute argument on a 5M striker is that's worth between a third and quarter of Alfie's value.

You are right a big fee guarantees nothing but you spend in relative terms and we didn't pay that for this lad to be back up-we bought him to improve the starting defence....not the squad.

We've seen under SG quite rightly he will drop players irrespective of cost but the point remains the same.

I think Edmundson has a fair shout.Ive been really impressed by him.Solid,composed and calm.I agree Goldson looks like he will partner Helander.Good headache to have though.

How anyone can doubt that Goldson is first pick is beyond me. Gerrard's 'marquee' signing last Summer, played virtually every time he is fit, Vice-Captain (I think). It may be that, in time, Helander becomes an automatic first-pick but, if he does, it will be alongside Goldson not instead of him. The other two are fighting for scraps - and are more than capable deputies - but, until we properly assess Helander its 3 fighting for 1 place. Goldson is nailed on.

Well who within our defence is valued at more than Helander? Katic clearly remains doubtful to some of us and indeed the manager albeit he maybe had personal issues last year.

The absolute argument on a 5M striker is that's worth between a third and quarter of Alfie's value.

You are right a big fee guarantees nothing but you spend in relative terms and we didn't pay that for this lad to be back up-we bought him to improve the starting defence....not the squad.

We've seen under SG quite rightly he will drop players irrespective of cost but the point remains the same.
I think assuming because we paid a relatively large fee for a player means he will start is incorrect. We have four centre backs and all four should have the same opportunity

Back