Goldson first pick CB

No.

It's very fucking clearly based on his career so far and the fee we paid for him.

Anytime you dare suggest Katic isn't quite ready yet, people get a bit upset.
You are the only one that sounds upset. Chill out.
The career so far and fee mean nothing at this stage

I think assuming because we paid a relatively large fee for a player means he will start is incorrect. We have four centre backs and all four should have the same opportunity

That's daft frankly we just bought a player with a better pedigree than any of our centre backs-that's why he cost the most.

Judging purely on what I've seen in pre season so far I've been more impressed with Edmundson than I have Katic.

I think Goldson is our most consistent centre half and would be shocked if Gerrard sees Katic as ahead of him right now.

I also think Helander was clearly brought in with the intention to partner Goldson in most matches. Just calling it as I see it, but don't think Katic is quite what people make him out to be on here.

[/QUOTE)] ="Neilston Unionist, post: 3972496, member: 11134"]I’ve been quite impressed with Edmundson personally in recent matches[/QUOTE]
Been the surprise one for me thought we were getting a really raw centre half who would need a lot of work but for 650k he looks the business good with the ball at his feet aswell and his interception to turn the Ball past the post today saved us from a defeat top class defending

That's daft frankly we just bought a player with a better pedigree than any of our centre backs-that's why he cost the most.
Well lets agree to disagree. I have seen too many false dawns on FF and players who have been hailed as world beaters and end up not very good. I would prefer to judge people on how they play rather than fees or who they played for previously

i thought katic was full blame for the goal today. very poor defending from him. i agree goldson is 1st pick tho

Judging purely on what I've seen in pre season so far I've been more impressed with Edmundson than I have Katic.

I think Goldson is our most consistent centre half and would be shocked if Gerrard sees Katic as ahead of him right now.

I also think Helander was clearly brought in with the intention to partner Goldson in most matches. Just calling it as I see it, but don't think Katic is quite what people make him out to be on here.

I think quite a lot of us have seen enough errors on a consistent basis from Katic but based on seeing Edmundson in one game-I'd rate Katic as looking stronger....I wasn't overly impressed with the wee bits of Edmundson thought some of his headed clearances versus St J were ordinary to say the least.

Well lets agree to disagree. I have seen too many false dawns on FF and players who have been hailed as world beaters and end up not very good. I would prefer to judge people on how they play rather than fees or who they played for previously

I'd agree with you 100% on that mate. However I think it's fairly logical to suggest the bigger the fee the more likely the manager has bought them to start.

What makes you think Katic is a better defender than Goldson exactly?

Katic doesnt fanny about. he takes no prisoners. his distrutuion is excellent and he is a huge threat at set pieces.

nothing against Goldson but he is prone to be over confident at times.

Goldson is constantly talking the rest of the back 4 throughout games. He constantly is screaming at Tav, Katic/Worrall (last season) and Barasic to get in line, push and fill in the gaps when needed. He leads the line

I'd agree with you 100% on that mate. However I think it's fairly logical to suggest the bigger the fee the more likely the manager has bought them to start.
You are right, it is a logical assumption but it cant be tsken as fact. I hope the boy turns out to be a world beater and demands the first place pick but for me personally incant say he will be without seeing him play first

No need to have a first 11 at all there seems to be a fascination with this let’s just see how the season goes whose fittest , whose in the best form who progresses the most during the season we need to get away from this mentality it’s a squad game and we have a huge squad

Early days, but Goldson looks sharper, and a yard quicker than last season.

He can also be relied on to pinch a goal. ;)

I can’t understand some of the negative posts about him on here at times.
He’s my 1st choice every time.

He's had a few shaky moments, mainly when he takes it a bit too easy but when he on it and concentrating he's excellent. A real leader. Think he'll only get better too as he's not actually played that much football for his age.

Some of the things you read about Katic on here defy belief at times and I find it hard to process.

He's raw as feck.

His use of the ball is poor at times as is his positioning and tendency to dive into tackles yet you'll read on here many people lauding his passing etc it's madness.

He's a decent prospect but he's extremely raw that's why Gerrard has went and spunked a huge part of our budget on a centre half.

No.

It's very fucking clearly based on his career so far and the fee we paid for him.

Anytime you dare suggest Katic isn't quite ready yet, people get a bit upset.
Because he'll header a brick and play with a bandage on people with people think hes the second coming of butcher. A good defender he is yes but he's very much a work in progress he can be poor positionaly hence why he makes a few last minute blocks or tackles instead of being there and dealing with the danger early he also gets to tight and gets spun far to easily these are the things he needs to work on. As hes already good in the air and strong in the tackle and won't be bullied. People on here get far to emotionally attached to players

Goldson is our best central defender.

I think people forget last season was the most amount of games he had played in a single season for some time. Plus, it was his first full season of playing regularly after heart surgery.

I'm expecting him to be even better this season.

I've not mentioned Helander as he's not played in a Rangers shirt other than for 25 minutes in a friendly.

Goldson is the clear first choice and it’s on merit. He’s never really heralded on here for being as good as he is, all round.

The other spot, who knows? Don’t reckon we spent £3m on a sub though

Just great to be in this position when we own four fantastic options at the back. It’s not an area of the team I have any concerns over.

I don’t think there was any doubt that Goldson is one of the first names on the team shirt.

His transfer fee dictates that, alongside the majority of his performances last season.

I real leader and a must have on the centre of defence.

Proper leader.

Has a nice dislike of the Tims and aberdeen also.

How brilliant is it to have 4 centre backs that can all come in and do a job?

:)

Yes.

It's kind of obvious.

He's been our main CB since he joined.

Gerrard loves him and he will play almost every match.

We have 5/6 players who will play virtually every week.

The rest will rotate.

But yes - Goldson is first choice, CB - if anyone didn't already know.

Katic and Goldson is similar to an extent to a modern-day Moore and Amo, it's easy to get drawn to Katic (Amo) because they attack the ball, look more threatening at the other end and like to come out with the ball. The issue with Katic, like Amo, is when he thinks he's too much of a footballer and we saw that with the equaliser.

Goldson (Moore) on the other hand, can often be underappreciated, showing composure and their reading of the game to clean up after the other's mistakes and dealing with dangers with ease, which means that it is likely their best moments will be on the cutting room floor during a highlight reel.

I do like Katic but he has some way to go before he is an out and out starter.

Far too early to say who are the best pairing for the team.
Somebody has got to be come Thursday.
I agree with Goldson being first pick at this point and I’d suggest, with the benefit of a bit of experience just now,Katic is ahead of Edmundson.
Helander will be first pick once he’s ready.

How anyone can doubt that Goldson is first pick is beyond me. Gerrard's 'marquee' signing last Summer, played virtually every time he is fit, Vice-Captain (I think). It may be that, in time, Helander becomes an automatic first-pick but, if he does, it will be alongside Goldson not instead of him. The other two are fighting for scraps - and are more than capable deputies - but, until we properly assess Helander its 3 fighting for 1 place. Goldson is nailed on.
Pretty much how I see it

I’ve not seen much of the 2 new guys but reports are very encouraging about both.

Gerrard & his team have got to decide who the first choice Centre Half's are & stick with them unless injury or an easy Scottish Cup tie gives you the opportunity to give the other 2 players a game.

I honestly believe the swapping of Katic & Worrall cost us last season so please don’t mess about this year Stevie.

Katic had one of his poorer games today but it doesn't mean we should right him off but on form he is 4th best but it just means he has to knuckle down in training and wait for a drop of form from another centre half to get back in the competition is healthy

I’ve not seen much of the 2 new guys but reports are very encouraging about both.

Gerrard & his team have got to decide who the first choice Centre Half's are & stick with them unless injury or an easy Scottish Cup tie gives you the opportunity to give the other 2 players a game.

I honestly believe the swapping of Katic & Worrall cost us last season so please don’t mess about this year Stevie.

Absolutely agree !

But for now, Filip is perhaps 'the almost certain one' given that he is left footed so consider any one of our other centre backs with him.

Conor the best but with Filip as his oppo but who knows.

Agree with me or not but whatever, it is fantastic to have Edmundson and Katic as options (not in any specific order mind)

How anyone can doubt that Goldson is first pick is beyond me. Gerrard's 'marquee' signing last Summer, played virtually every time he is fit, Vice-Captain (I think). It may be that, in time, Helander becomes an automatic first-pick but, if he does, it will be alongside Goldson not instead of him. The other two are fighting for scraps - and are more than capable deputies - but, until we properly assess Helander its 3 fighting for 1 place. Goldson is nailed on.

Team should be getting picked on form, not price or reputation. If Goldson lost his place we would still be able to get most, if not all, our money back on him.

The other shirt is for Helander, Katic and Edmundson to fight over. Big Connor is the back line leader?

Dam right
Never ever been a doubt for me, others may have better attributes but being a leader, talker, organiser...he's our best centre half for those reasons alone. The rest may be better in the air, in the tackle, distribution...it's not about the individual but what they bring to a team and a back four.

Team should be getting picked on form, not price or reputation. If Goldson lost his place we would still be able to get most, if not all, our money back on him.
But when OF game day comes around there is no form and I reckon Gerrard would want him in the trenches

But for now, Filip is perhaps 'the almost certain one' given that he is left footed so consider any one of our other centre backs with him.

Conor the best but with Filip as his oppo but who knows.

Agree with me or not but whatever, it is fantastic to have Edmundson and Katic as options (not in any specific order mind)

FFS, I'm reading this thread thinking surely someone will highlight that the fact we've just paid £3M for a left footed CH makes him a shoe in...

It's very obvious that Goldson and Helander will be our first choice pairing.

Firstly Goldson is the natural leader at the back and talks our defence through matches. He is a warrior for us.

Helander of course has to prove himself but his experience and the fee we paid suggests he will be straight into the backline along side Goldson.

Edmondson I've been impressed with and looks promising. He will of course have game time throughout the season but won't be first pick.

Aside from the FF Katic wankfest that seems to happen, he still needs talked through games to much and is prone to one or two defensive lapses in concentration to be considered first pick. Again though he will get game time and is a great prospect for us.

Back