Goldson for England

Maguire is actually decent if you sit him on the edge of his own box and ask him to head and kick everything clear.

Ask him to play on the half way line and pick passes forward with space in behind and he’s a bomb scare.

Last edited:
Goldson would do a job for England no problem. Unfortunately it will never happen due to the fantasy football money bags attached to players in the EPL. I'm just glad he's here where he belongs.

Maguire is utter shite, mind boggling he’s playing at the level he is. McTominay is another one at United who seems to play every game and is also utter shite.

Glad I’m Not the only one who thinks this

A few of our players havent hit the heights yet but its early days into a new season, some players will take longer than others to get up to speed.

Goldson has been fine so far this season.

There are probably a dozen better centre halfs than McGuire in England.
he is THE worst center half I have ever seen 80mil for goal a game cant read the game slow, cant pass. Tav used to get pelters that he was not captain standard well I will never know how mangers with any knowledge of the game play MaGuire nevr mind have him captain. Goldson is a better player than that donkey

Think Goldson has had a poor start to the season. Hasn't looked himself at all thus far.
According to half this board.
Our keeper is shite.
Borna is shite at defending.
Goldson is having a mare.
Sands/Davies/Soutar are rotating, getting up to speed and none ready to partner Goldson.
And Tav is caught too far forward too often.

Approaching, if not over 300 minutes of ball in play time, since we last conceded a goal.

Another 3 clean sheets please and they can all keep not being at the required standard!

Think Goldson has had a poor start to the season. Hasn't looked himself at all thus far.
Our keeper is shite.
Sands/Davies/Soutar are rotating, getting up to speed and none ready to partner Goldson.

Approaching, if not over 300 minutes of ball in play time, since we last conceded a goal.

Another 3 clean sheets please and they can all keep not being at the required standard!

If you slotted Tav and Goldson into 95% of England games would they be noticeably weakened, think the answer is probably no.

Harder argument to say they’d definitely improve them, so much competition for places.

No chance, he is playing in a tin pot spl league and struggles at times.
Don’t kid yourself on, he is good for us at times but no chance is he playing for England at any major level.
I appreciate his contributions, but for me he isn’t good enough for England.

If he played in England, he’d be capped.

My mate (who posts here) is gong to owe me a fortune when an ex-Ger gets capped :))

Our keeper is shite.

3 clean sheets against Killie, Union and St Johnstone at Ibrox, aye that's an earth shattering achievement. His and the team's big test is Tuesday. I didn't say he was having a mare either.

Maguire is decent but he’s limited at the top level and he’ll never live up to that price tag. It would be best for both parties if they parted ways now IMO.

Something I’ve never understood though is why Man Utd sold Jonny Evans (who played beside Maguire at Leicester) when IMO he’s a much better player.

3 clean sheets against Killie, Union and St Johnstone at Ibrox, aye that's an earth shattering achievement. His and the team's big test is Tuesday. I didn't say he was having a mare either.
Show me where I quoted you as saying he's having a mare?
You can only kiss with the cock you've got as they say.
And you can't come out of 3 games with minus goals against.
So here we are.

Maguire can't run, that's why he looks so bad at man u as part of a 2. For England he plays as part of a 3 so has people to cover him. If utd are going to continue with 2 cbs they need to drop him

Show me where I quoted you as saying he's having a mare?
You can only kiss with the cock you've got as they say.
And you can't come out of 3 games with minus goals against.
So here we are.
So what's your point exactly? He's not started poorly because 3 teams that camped in their own half at Ibrox didn't score?

Maguire is actually decent if you sit him on the edge of his own box and ask him to head and kick everything clear.

Ask him to play on the half way line and pick passes forward with space in behind and he’s a bomb scare.
He can also bring the ball out of defence and break the first line of pressing, which he does all the time for England.

Can't play that way in a back four.

So what's your point exactly? He's not started poorly because 3 teams that camped in their own half at Ibrox didn't score?

What is your point mate?

Are we supposed to criticise him for keeping clean sheets?

I think Goldson has started the season ok, I would expect him to get better as he gets used to his new centre half parter and gets more match sharpness.

If you were to see Goldson against EPL attackers every week, I doubt you'd be touting him for an England call up.

That's not a slight on Goldson, just a bit of important context.
His side has come out on top v multiple top European sides and strikers, teams from Portugal/Bundesliga etc.

If guys like Ben Mee and Tyrone Mings are in Southgates plans then Goldson could easily be.

The main reason he isn’t is the league he plays in, plain and simple.

Each to their own.

We’re 5 games into the season and he’s played with three different centre half partners when we’ve played a back 4, he’s played in two different formations (back 4 and back 5) and we’ve only conceded 3 goals in that spell whilst keeping 3 clean sheets.

We’ve also won 3 of 3 in the league and progressed through our European qualifier.

He’s definitely not playing as well as he can but he’s certainly not playing badly either.

We’re 5 games into the season and he’s played with three different centre half partners when we’ve played a back 4, he’s played in two different formations (back 4 and back 5) and we’ve only conceded 3 goals in that spell whilst keeping 3 clean sheets.

We’ve also won 3 of 3 in the league and progressed through our European qualifier.

He’s definitely not playing as well as he can but he’s certainly not playing badly either.
Again, to each their own.

I think he's been poor.

His side has come out on top v multiple top European sides and strikers, teams from Portugal/Bundesliga etc.

If guys like Ben Mee and Tyrone Mings are in Southgates plans then Goldson could easily be.

The main reason he isn’t is the league he plays in, plain and simple.
And what’s the main reason he plays in this league instead of one of the top leagues?

Has his moments when he gets it wrong but I really like the big man thought he had a great game yesterday,Doubt very much he will get capped for England he hasn’t been punted round the EPL for 10s of millions and that’s what counts for England squads.

Why do I think he's started poorly? Because I've watched every game he's played and been unimpressed. Mystery solved. No agenda. Just seeing with my own eyes from CD1.

Yeah but what have you seen him do wrong?

Is there anything in particular that he’s doing wrong?

Yeah but what have you seen him do wrong?

Is there anything in particular that he’s doing wrong?
Yes, not playing as well as normally.

Yesterday for example he picked up a booking on the halfway line for pulling the St Johnstone player back when the St Johnstone player still had 3 Rangers players to beat a round him.

Poor judgment and I think its been the theme of his start.

he is THE worst center half I have ever seen 80mil for goal a game cant read the game slow, cant pass. Tav used to get pelters that he was not captain standard well I will never know how mangers with any knowledge of the game play MaGuire nevr mind have him captain. Goldson is a better player than that donkey
Karl Svensson ?

No way would he maki it into the England team
Maguire won't last long either
He has 50 caps already I’m sure he will reach 80 at least , led the line to get them to a World Cup semi and a euro final. This post is bonkers Goldson is nowhere near McGuire as a player.

He has 50 caps already I’m sure he will reach 80 at least , led the line to get them to a World Cup semi and a euro final. This post is bonkers Goldson is nowhere near McGuire as a player.
McGuire needs to up his game back to what he was if he's going to reach the 80 mark looks half the player he once was but on his day top draw

And what’s the main reason he plays in this league instead of one of the top leagues?
Do you keep up with Rangers mate?

Do you know he had options to go down south, mostly notable to Nottingham Forest in the summer who now play in the Premier League?

Do you know that he made a personal decision to stay at Rangers after discussing it with his family?

He absolutely loves it here. After the euro games, cup semi final and final he stood for a few minutes a time soaking it all in. I can only imagine he was torn between moving back home to a bigger league and be closer to his family in the midlands, and staying at the biggest club he’ll ever play for.

Would you say the same about Bassey, Aribo or Patterson before they left, or do you just think it’s our most consistent defender for the last 4 years who was the mainstay of our best ever domestic defensive record the year we won 55 and was a rock on the way to a European final that you have an issue with?

Do you keep up with Rangers mate?

Do you know he had options to go down south, mostly notable to Nottingham Forest in the summer who now play in the Premier League?

Do you know that he made a personal decision to stay at Rangers after discussing it with his family?

He absolutely loves it here. After the euro games, cup semi final and final he stood for a few minutes a time soaking it all in. I can only imagine he was torn between moving back home to a bigger league and be closer to his family in the midlands, and staying at the biggest club he’ll ever play for.

Would you say the same about Bassey, Aribo or Patterson before they left, or do you just think it’s our most consistent defender for the last 4 years who was the mainstay of our best ever domestic defensive record the year we won 55 and was a rock on the way to a European final that you have an issue with?
Actually I didn’t know. I haven’t seen anything that actually confirms he had Premier League offers. And I wouldn’t have said the same about any of the others because they’re younger and imo have more potential.

I think Goldson was waiting on PL offers though and they didn’t come, hence why he signed his new contract at the very last minute. If he loved it here to that extent he wouldn’t have needed to wait until bang on the deadline to put pen to paper.

Back