Goldson Is A Ger

That felt like quite a low key announcement considering its our biggest signing in a while.

Welcome anyway big yin.

Go for a wee afternoon snooze and wake up to a signing. Same happened the other day lol. Welcome aboard guys. WATP

CONNOR Goldson says the size of Rangers and the appointment of Steven Gerrard swayed him to sign for the Gers.

The 25-year-old has penned a four-year-deal with the club, leaving Brighton and Hove Albion to pursue a new challenge in Scotland.

The centre-half had heart surgery in early 2017 and admits it has inspired him to enjoy his football more than ever after making his Premier League debut last season.

Speaking exclusively to rangers.co.uk Goldson said:

“I am delighted to join Rangers, even though it hasn’t taken that long to sign it seems like it has taken forever.

“I am just pleased to finally get it done and to get the chance to showcase my abilities at a massive club with a huge fan base.

“I probably could have stayed at Brighton. They weren’t really desperate for me to go but I think at this stage, at 25-years-old and with the operation I obviously had, it just made me hungrier to want to play football.

“That put a lot of things in perspective and one of those things was to just play as much as I could.

“Every time I have been given a chance to play I have always done well. I am a player who has always played, apart from in the last two years

“Those two years have been tough for me personally but now I have the opportunity to get back playing every week and show what I can do.

“I am tall, I am athletic, I can move, I am quite quick and I like to think I am good on the ball, I always want the ball and I want to play. That has been drilled into me from a young age and even more so at Brighton.

“At the same time I want to keep a clean sheet and that is my job. I think I am a leader and can lead a back four or back five or whatever the manager ends up playing.

“The key to a defender’s job, no matter how good you are or think you are on the ball, at the end of the day all I want to do is keep a clean sheet and that is the message I will be getting across to whoever is playing with me.”

Goldson grew up as a Liverpool fan and revealed he was helped through the summer by the ever-presence of the Gers boss and Anfield legend Gerrard.

He said: “Steven Gerrard had a massive influence on my decision to sign. When he first spoke to me I didn’t really know what I was doing, there were a few clubs interested in me in the Championship and I didn’t really know what to do.

“We carried on speaking and he has been brilliant with me, he said I could speak to him whenever I wanted to or whatever I was thinking.

“We spoke quite a lot over the summer and it got to the point where I sat down with my family and I thought it was the right decision to make for myself and for them. For us all to be happy and for me to be playing football every week at a huge club.

“Now he is my manager and I want to be able to learn off him as a coach and as a manager. I don’t really think there is going to be time for me to be star struck and be in awe of him.

“We have a lot of work to do this season, we want to improve the team and we want to see how far we can go. There is a lot of work to do and that starts this weekend in Spain.”

Can you just post the link for official site articles? Give them the hits.

So I guess we aren't going for Russel Martin then :D

Guy looks a unit, I don't see our defenders losing many physical battles this season.

I wonder if we are now looking at a 3-5-2 formation. If Alves is staying then him , Goldson and Katic is a pretty formidable looking back three for any attack to come up against . Maybe push Tav into midfield as part of a five? Personally, would love to see a 3-5-2. What do we think about this?

Sounds like a leader, and I’m only reading his words!

“The key to a defender’s job, no matter how good you are or think you are on the ball, at the end of the day all I want to do is keep a clean sheet and that is the message I will be getting across to whoever is playing with me.”

A man after my own heart.

2 centre half’s , having never seen them play, I really hope they secure the problem area.
My senses are beginning to tingle that we may no longer be as weak as putty.
Now for an out and out goal machine.

Having given up my ST this year, I have a feeling I might just be missing out on something really special. It’s not the same not being there live. :(

Good news. That’s 2 big commanding centre half’s in the door.

Hopefully gone are the days when our defence gets bullied by no mark journeymen.

Big Lad spoke well. Seen a video of him getting Brighton Young Players of the Year the prior season, and he was saying "I give 100% on the pitch, I have no time for people who don't" I think he and big Greegs will get on like a house on fire.

Excellent. Welcome to Rangers.

Great to see the new signings mentioning the new manager. I've got a feeling our players are going to be desperate to succeed for him.

Welcome aboard, couldn’t wait for the season to end now can’t wait for this season to start, let the good times roll..

I wonder if we are now looking at a 3-5-2 formation. If Alves is staying then him , Goldson and Katic is a pretty formidable looking back three for any attack to come up against . Maybe push Tav into midfield as part of a five? Personally, would love to see a 3-5-2. What do we think about this?

Remember Alves will be late back after World Cup.

I always think how when we make a signing the player often comments on how big a club we are and the size and passion of our support. But they've no idea, really, they're unaware of what's waiting up ahead if/when they can help bring us 55. :cool:

Back