Goldson - is there any way back?

all of our centre backs are better on the right hand side. Was good to see Balogun today and thought he handled himself well as usual but Souttar terrified me

Goldson's attitude and effort have gotten him to this stage which is the worst thing about it. Wouldn't duck cup ties against lower league teams like some players, never shirked games, always available, always fit, always willing to rush back from injury - this is the end result.

He's played an insane amount of football in less than six years for us. It's finally caught up with him. Physically he looks weak and as a player he looks shot to bits. Had we managed him better things might have been different.

The truth is we have ran him and Tav into the ground.
That's a very decent summary.
I have a feeling with all his team selections so far that Clement would have managed his game time much more sensibly...as seems to be the case now.
Of course I understand and admire Goldsons willingness and determination to play every single minute he thinks he can but sometimes that admirable determination needs to be taken out of your hands.
Hopefully Goldson accepts that he wasn't "dropped" but was rested for his own good.

That's a very decent summary.
I have a feeling with all his team selections so far that Clement would have managed his game time much more sensibly...as seems to be the case now.
Of course I understand and admire Goldsons willingness and determination to play every single minute he thinks he can but sometimes that admirable determination needs to be taken out of your hands.
Hopefully Goldson accepts that he wasn't "dropped" but was rested for his own good.

I think Souttar's form will eventually lead to Goldson getting back in this season.

But I do think come the summer this'll be end of Goldson as the number one centre back. It has to be.

I like CG but I most certainly was impressed with our defence today and, dare I say it, wouldn’t be adverse to LB signing a years extension. He’s not getting younger but he can still step up.

I am far from Goldson's biggest fan, in fact we should never have resigned him, but he is light years ahead of Souttar, who is a bombscare at his best.
He’s not light years ahead they both have mistakes in them but Souttar better at taking the ball out of defence and his headering of the ball in both boxes is better up until his injury against Liverpool at Ibrox he was best CB in the league but since then he’s went off a cliff good servant will give him that

I'd be very surprised if PC doesn't have a replacement for him in mind already.
Younger, more physical and less wages. We need two to be fair.

Goldson has a sweet long diagonal pass that others don’t have.
More often than not straight to the opposition keeper or straight out the pitch.

Goldson is a defender, he used to be a good one but he's absolutely miles past it and he needs replacing long term.

My preferred cb pairing is goldson and balogun who was excellent today.

Noticeable tavernier was not bombing forward as much. Helps having someone in front of him.

I'm not one of Goldsons biggest fans but that's a ridiculous accusation.
Aye he's made mistakes...big ones in big games but you could never accuse him of hiding or slacking.
In fact doesn't he hold some kind of record for most minutes played consecutively for Rangers, either altogether or in recent times?
Ridiculous? Do you think if Clement keeps him on the bench he will actively seek a move away?

Dropped because he’s been rotten and Clement wanting to send a message.

He’s deserved to be dropped, so let’s see if that focusses some brains for the run in.

I think the biggest takeaway was how solid we were defensively overall. Even when Hearts were throwing everything at us, they created only 1 or 2 decent chances. Compare and contrast to the last few weeks where a simple ball over the top wreaked havoc.

Goldsons earned his spell on the bench.

Balogun was great today

Goldson has been poor and needed dropped and not saying otherwise he’s been poor recently

Souttar also need to sharpen up top as he nearly cost us a goal today too

Back