Goldson - Staying another 4 years!!!

I’m not doubting your intel mate but the two cars were still at the Briggs house before I went offshore days ago
saw them in dubai yesterday he’s still contracted till end of june so imagine they will be coming back to glasgow regardless then do the move

I’m not doubting your intel mate but the two cars were still at the Briggs house before I went offshore days ago
I do t want to say anything else on a public forum bud. They are gone, will swing passed for his car and some tidy up I’d imagine when back.

The absolute epitome of we wont know what we had to its gone.

Good luck Connor, goes with my blessing for his service

The big man did well.

His physical consistency was second to none and he could ping some fantastic cross-field balls. A colossus in many a game.

He was always capable of an absolute brainfart from time to time and his short passing was ropey. His lack of clearance in Seville will unfortunately live with me forever.

If the recruitment is right, we'll soon forget the big man.

He'll be paid lavishly, though. That's what it's all about. He'll be out the game in a few years with no discernible life skills to be able to do anything for the rest of his life so he has to earn as much as he can.
Maybe. What you earn in football, or anywhere for that matter, is a function of how much you earn a year times the number of years you earn it. He will definitely earn more a year down south but the number of years could be a different matter.

30th june
Strange one that really. Always wondered why we pay our players an extra month after the season ends when they're not renewing

Suppose we have to plan for postponements or extended season (nae Japan tours)

That wasn’t a one off balls up, we’ve lost that goal several times through him.

It happened on Saturday too inside ten minutes albeit they missed.
100% yes he has contributed, but he has also contributed to some basic mistakes that have cost us in big games

If Goldson was staying we'd no by now, so he is obviously going elsewhere. We will appreciate him more when we look back.

For the most part Goldson was a leader on the pitch, pretty good on the ball, could hit some wonderful long passes and read the game pretty well. He was rarely injured and has been a great servant to the club.
On the flip side, there was always a mistake in him against better teams, often costly. His long passing could be inconsistent and he slowed up the game by taking too much time on the ball to pick out that pass and in so doing allowing teams to get their defensive shape together( or parked bus ). He was an aerial attacking threat but too often headed the ball upwards over the bar.So pluses and minuses and certainly the good outweighed the bad.
I like the look of Souttar. Maybe a little faster off the mark than Goldson, he also has the physical presence and command. He’s good in the air at both ends of the pitch, can hit a good long ball but also move it forward quickly with shorter balls when it’s on. In many respects he looks potentially an upgrade. The big doubt of course is his injury record. While Goldson’s has been remarkable ( compare with say, Helander) , Souttar’s has been poor.
If he can stay injury free, I would guess Souttar would represent an upgrade. A big if, alas. Time will tell.
Couldn't agree more.

Mr consistency, hardly ever missed a game. Was an absolute rock best part of the time but also had that self destruct part to his game.

Wish the big yin all the best if he goes but like many other bears have said, letting that cross come across him at his own 5 yard box in Seville...will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Mind a few months ago when an interviewer asked him about his contract and he said the club hadn’t offered him one. FF was awash with folk screaming at the club to get it done.

Probably being a tad economical with the truth, as he’s clearly been signed up elsewhere for almost 6 months. I imagine it’s to a smaller club (nearer home) and that’s why it has been kept under wraps. If it was a better move, it would’ve been announced and nobody would have begrudged him it.

Mind a few months ago when an interviewer asked him about his contract and he said the club hadn’t offered him one. FF was awash with folk screaming at the club to get it done.

Probably being a tad economical with the truth, as he’s clearly been signed up elsewhere for almost 6 months. I imagine it’s to a smaller club (nearer home) and that’s why it has been kept under wraps. If it was a better move, it would’ve been announced and nobody would have begrudged him it.
I thought it was someone on here who asked him about the contract

Possibly it was a casevof not offering a contract to someone who made up his mind that he was leaving.

I hope you're right regarding souttar...I just don't see it. He's a massive downgrade on CG in both footballing ability and fitness.
This season has been harder on CG as his partners at the back have been chopped and changed, look at last season with a settled centre back pair, he was a colossus.
Also his long range passing and ability to get us up the park in a matter of seconds won't be easy to replace.
Yes he's not perfect, wouldn't be at rangers if he was unfortunately, but I think we'll struggle to replace him with such a consistent defender.
Souttar to me is a typical no nonsense scottish defender, he'll do a job when fit but honestly I don't rate him any higher than say porteous for example (albeit less of a liability)
There may be a question regarding Souttars fitness but not in his ability.

Goldson had one great season for 55, the rest were littered with mistakes.

He just never got injured and we compare him to who we had directly before which is the contrast.

He is gone and thank him for his services, now look forward to a centre half who can defend a simple low cross or a floated high ball which were both Goldson kryptonite.

He'll be paid lavishly, though. That's what it's all about. He'll be out the game in a few years with no discernible life skills to be able to do anything for the rest of his life so he has to earn as much as he can.

Don't need life skills mate. It would seem that the only qualification to be a TV pundit is to have played Sunday League once. Pretty much applies to most management vacancies these days too :))

I just read it, he had and does love the club. But that moment is long gone, he’s fully committed down south and already gone.

If rangers came back with a significant offer I guess he could persuade the family, rent out his new home down south and find another family home to rent in Scotland if they moved back up but realistically it’s not happening. It’s not just about money, we blew that opportunity some time back.

Given how completely family oriented he has he also won’t be one of those players who travel home during breaks between games.

You're saying he could potentially be persuaded to stay but your line this entire time is that he's gone already!? Just admit you're guessing :))

Play off with Forrest on Sunday is perhaps key in his decision making.

If Forrest fail....
He perhaps has a decision to make with us.

I personally would have closed the door on him by now. I want to see a change at the back. It time. That means new CB's and a new Keeper.

We need to try and get to the next level.
Not saying it will be easy but we have to try.

We'll miss Goldson and by feck he'll miss us, 6 months from now when his replacement makes a bombscare mistake we'll long for him back sadly :(

We could always meet in the middle and just extend his contract by one year.
It would mean one more year of him and a year to try and bed someone else in.

He will not sign a 1 year contract. One of the points of contention was apparently he wants a 4 year contract and we didn't want to commit to that level of contract to a player who will be nearly 34 by time it ends.

Obviously that is not confirmed, but that was the talk prior to Xmas.

And he never once wavered from 100% commitment on the park-the Hibs comments were petrol for those wanting a bonfire. Words are cheap he proved himself with actions.
He took a lot of stick for that interview but for me he was telling it as it was and what we could see with our own eyes.he knew what he was doing with that interview,he’s one of the leaders in that dressing room and he was putting a rocket up the rest of the dressing room.

Yeah, he’s made a few mistakes but so did Ramos and Ferdinand. Everybody at centre back has made them but he makes fewer than most. It’ll be heartbreaking if he goes as seems likely.

He’s absolute quality in his own right but he also organises everybody else too. Tav is a better defender for playing beside him and at least part of the development in Bassey at centre half is down to Goldson. If anybody thought Bassey was a centre back after seeing him play with Balogun v Prague then they are a genius. As soon as he was playing beside Goldson he looked a different player.
You listen any interview with bassey and king and they both say the goldson is terrific at talking them through a game when they first come in and he also gives them advice on off the field matters.

He will not sign a 1 year contract. One of the points of contention was apparently he wants a 4 year contract and we didn't want to commit to that level of contract to a player who will be nearly 34 by time it ends.

Obviously that is not confirmed, but that was the talk prior to Xmas.
I read that his kids are about to begin school and he wants a degree of stability.so offering a one year extension isn’t giving him that.this is his last big contract and we see it all through blue tinted glasses but he will and has to put his family first.
He goes with my thanks and for his leadership skills he’s a big hole in the dressing room that will be difficult to fill.

What a player never gets the credit he deserves from some never heard of him before he came hes been awsome and whoever plays beside him he makes them better imop

He definitely wants to stay but his wife is looking to move back home they have informed the nursery ect that they will be stopping the fees and looking to move near Wolverhampton

Life move's on we move on onwards and upwards WATP

I still maintain if we had secured CL football, the model could be amended and he would have got what he wanted. We failed, he failed so it's unlikely he will stay. He got better every year and I belive a CB (especially with his low mileage) comes into their prime around the age of 30 so believe he could get better. As it is, we need a replacement, and as hard as that seems, it is entirely possible. He goes with my best wishes.

Hutton said he spoke to Goldson, and that Goldson wanted to saty, but alluded to him not geting a good enough offer from Rangers.
It's impossible to tell what good enough is from the outside.

I wouldn't be bursting the bank for him. He's a good leader and organiser, always available but he's not a great penalty box defender and I think we can get better. That said, if he signed tomorrow I wouldn't be unhappy about it so long as we strengthened the team round about him.

Last edited:
Hutton said he spoke to Goldson, and that Goldson wanted to saty, but alluded to him not geting a good enough offer from Rangers.

My view JMCK; Goldson is the best we've got at the moment and his health/fitness/injury resistance is remarkable. But he is prone to serious and momentous errors - not every game, but quite often enough.

Perhaps GVB has better alternative(s) in mind.

His house was cleared up a few weeks ago, skips outside and stuff getting moved.

He’s away, it’s just denial now from a few.

We’ll get better, of that I’m sure. Maybe not as reliable regarding to fitness but we will get better.

Just feels strange that there has been no announcement from the club or from Goldson on social media.

It seems likely the result at the weekend in the championship play off might impact where he goes next season but if he is definitely leaving why not just announce it?

I have enjoyed his time with us, as most have said in particular the 55 win he was immense. That year, it seemed if he went up for a header at one of our corners he was a threat every time.... this year I struggle to remember it not going over the bar. His first touch has always been quite poor I feel, then his cross field passes at times majestic then at other times almost a hit and hope. I am ready for something new, just hope we full the gap well

Play off with Forrest on Sunday is perhaps key in his decision making.

If Forrest fail....
He perhaps has a decision to make with us.

I personally would have closed the door on him by now. I want to see a change at the back. It time. That means new CB's and a new Keeper.

We need to try and get to the next level.
Not saying it will be easy but we have to try.
There’s no chance James Forrest is winning a playoff by himself.

People saying he will get a lot more money at Forest. Scott McKenna wnt there for £3m and makes £15k a week.
He'd only have been on what a max of 4k per week with Aberdeen?
So he's in a different kettle of fish....
Signing on fee and 3-4 times his Salary.

Just feels strange that there has been no announcement from the club or from Goldson on social media.

It seems likely the result at the weekend in the championship play off might impact where he goes next season but if he is definitely leaving why not just announce it?
I expect Goldson didn’t want to say anything whilst the season was ongoing which to be fair only ended 5 days ago.

Whilst he remains under contract the club aren’t going to say he’s definitely away because it’s clear we want him to stay

Back