Goldson "wanted" by Nottingham Forrest and West Brom

NOTTINGHAM FOREST and West Brom are vying for the pre-contract signature of Rangers defender Connor Goldson.

The 29-year-old Ibrox defender looks certain to quit Gers when his deal ends in the summer.

SunSport understands the Championship promotion-chasing duo have emerged as the strongest suitors.

It’s believed there’s at least one other club pushing hard for the centre-half.

Goldson is now free to discuss his future with interested parties.

Gers boss Giovanni van Bronckhorst has already agreed a pre-contract for Hearts defender John Souttar and has had a £300,000 bid to bring him in now rejected by the Jambos.

Souttar is being seen as a direct replacement for Goldson who is set to quit, despite talks throughout the season over a new deal.

Rangers are believed to be relaxed over the situation and there are no signs of club chiefs being anxious to recoup transfer cash for him during the current transfer window.

Goldson has played 195 games for Gers, scoring 17 goals, and was a key player in the team that won the title last season.

He remains a key part of the side which is four points clear of Celtic at the top of the league.

The feeling is Goldson’s importance to the title defence and potential £30million Champions League spot next season rates as being far more valuable.

If he helps land that prize he will leave with Gers’ best wishes.

West Brom are currently fifth in the Championship table, while Forest are eighth as the pair eye a Premier League spot.

Ex-Gers boss and Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard has previously been linked with Goldson, who he took to Ibrox from Brighton for a seven- figure sum in 2018.

How many times has the media got it right with CG? Remember they told us he had signed a new contract.

I think there is a lot of negotiations still ongoing between the club and CG. He may go, but I think there is still a chance that we keep him.

Rangers can get out muscled financially but Gio can go to Goldson & offer him the same as Gerrard had with him , a starting place for every game that he’s fit to play.

I still think we should play this card & I hope he remains at olde Ibrox.

They can also bolster his contract with appearance and win bonuses.

For some reason I can’t post in the transfer thread due to ‘insufficient privileges’ so I’ll post my thoughts in here. I’ve got a feeling he’d join West Brom if offered as they’ll be there or thereabouts re promotion and it’s a chance for him to go home. If he stays and helps us deliver 56 then I’d wish him all the best. Getting a replacement like Doekhi is massive now if Goldson does go.

They can also bolster his contract with appearance and win bonuses.
Definitely mate , we’ve raised a few quid , I imagine we’ll sell another couple in the summer & hopefully bank the champions league cash , I’d offer Goldson Lundstrams contract, if that’s still not enough , then so be it.

If his wife wants to be closer to home, West Brom makes sense.

I wonder though if he’s only going there if they gain promotion?

Either way I think if he were staying, he would have extended his deal already.

According to story on the Daily Record.

He would be absolutely insane to leave Ibrox for Championship mediocrity.

Would be surprised if the money was sigificantly more appealing than what we could potentially offer.

Agree with both previous posts.

Getting ragdolled, in a poor team, every week would not be my option.

If those are the best offers he's getting for a free transferpretty much, then goldson will be a Rangers player next season

Nobody is leaving being a guaranteed starter in the league and Europe at rangers to go to the likes of Nottingham forest ffs. Forest are a good team but it's not even comparable these days.

Last decent contract, looking for a big pay day. We are still in the running but he is after money and security first and foremost. If we can be competitive with a re-signing offer then he may just stay.

I would probably have moved him on last Summer but now we are at this stage, he is with us until the end of the season. I hope he remains fully committed on the field but it is a worry the longer he goes without any contract signed for next season and beyond.

According to story on the Daily Record.

He would be absolutely insane to leave Ibrox for Championship mediocrity.

Would be surprised if the money was sigificantly more appealing than what we could potentially offer.

Signing on fee would be the difference, I'd imagine. If they rate him as a 4m player, they might be willing to give him a decent seven figure sum up front. Would we do that? Not even sure I'd want us to.

If he leaves, he leaves. If he stays, he stays. The sun will still rise tomorrow and we will find a better replacement who will be our new Goldson and the cycle continues.

Seen it many times in my time supporting Rangers.
The Sun doesn't rise though. It stays fixed in its position in the centre of our particular solar system. Earth rotating on its axis gives the illusion of the sun rising and setting.

Food for thought.

Monday morning pedantry loyal.

NOTTINGHAM FOREST and West Brom are vying for the pre-contract signature of Rangers defender Connor Goldson.

The 29-year-old Ibrox defender looks certain to quit Gers when his deal ends in the summer.

SunSport understands the Championship promotion-chasing duo have emerged as the strongest suitors.

It’s believed there’s at least one other club pushing hard for the centre-half.

Goldson is now free to discuss his future with interested parties.

Gers boss Giovanni van Bronckhorst has already agreed a pre-contract for Hearts defender John Souttar and has had a £300,000 bid to bring him in now rejected by the Jambos.

Souttar is being seen as a direct replacement for Goldson who is set to quit, despite talks throughout the season over a new deal.

Rangers are believed to be relaxed over the situation and there are no signs of club chiefs being anxious to recoup transfer cash for him during the current transfer window.

Goldson has played 195 games for Gers, scoring 17 goals, and was a key player in the team that won the title last season.

He remains a key part of the side which is four points clear of Celtic at the top of the league.

The feeling is Goldson’s importance to the title defence and potential £30million Champions League spot next season rates as being far more valuable.

If he helps land that prize he will leave with Gers’ best wishes.

West Brom are currently fifth in the Championship table, while Forest are eighth as the pair eye a Premier League spot.

Ex-Gers boss and Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard has previously been linked with Goldson, who he took to Ibrox from Brighton for a seven- figure sum in 2018.
“SunSport understands?”
The Rangers support understands that what “SunSport understands” actually means is that it doesn’t have a clue what’s going on and is guessing and making up shit to boost sales and clicks.
That it upsets the Rangers support is an added bonus.

Rangers can get out muscled financially but Gio can go to Goldson & offer him the same as Gerrard had with him , a starting place for every game that he’s fit to play.

I still think we should play this card & I hope he remains at olde Ibrox.
No player should ever be guaranteed a starting place in a team, as that can just lead to complacency on the players part.
It also leaves you open to the situation where a players form has dropped dramatically and you still need to play him. That could then have the knock on effect of affecting squad morale.

A think he is good enough for prem but he won't get prem move, best hope is championship and he will regret leaving us

If Duffy is good enough for the EPL, so is Goldson. If we win the league he will stay for the UCL. If not, see what his options are in the prem. Be daft to sign a pre-contract with jobbers like WBA.

I believe Connor could play in the epl, for a smaller club probably. If he is holding out signing for us to consider the teams mentioned I would be disappointed. :(

Was reading a report about John Souttar earlier and popped into my head that Goldson hasn’t officially signed a pre-contract with anyone else yet - do we think Rangers are negotiating with him about a new deal and he’s wanting to stay? I personally wanted him punted after the Hibs game but he seems to have found his form again under Gio.
Championship is his level.
I can't see him as a Premiership centre back.

No player should ever be guaranteed a starting place in a team, as that can just lead to complacency on the players part.
It also leaves you open to the situation where a players form has dropped dramatically and you still need to play him. That could then have the knock on effect of affecting squad morale.
Yes mate , subject to form

If that's the calibre of teams interested in him he may well stay.. I was certain he was for the off.

He would be nuts to go to the Championship over staying with us. West Brom could be promoted though so that might make it an easier choice.

Goldson is a brilliant defender. I think any ‘dips in form’ has come at times when players around him have been really struggling. Or players beside him have been below the required standard. When Helander starts beside him Id fancy us to keep a clean sheet against most teams. Keeping Helander on the pitch has been difficult.

In 3.5 years he hasnt missed a game.

55 legend

:shh: :))

(Stay.....Shakespeares Sister. Stay Another Day.....East 17)

No way is he signing a new deal and for the money he wants then all the best to him in the EPL. We need to reduce our wage bill and handing out silly contracts to players we will never do this.
Goldson can either be absolutely fantastic or the complete opposite and if he does not want to sign what Ross Wilson has offered him then its time to part ways.

The worst worst thing we can do is qualify for the Champions league and hand out silly contracts. We have to treat our funds as a Europa league team and give deal out according to this.
What sort of money is he after?

Leaving European football to go and play with either of those non-entities would be wild

Could understand if it was an established EPL team but not that dross

A footballers career is relatively short and for me homesick WAGS should be told by their man to deal with situations as they arise, and that decisions will be made in the best interest of his career.

They know what they are signing up for.

Plenty of time for daily coffees or proseccos with their mum or pals when the guy chucks the fitba.

Leaving European football to go and play with either of those non-entities would be wild

Could understand if it was an established EPL team but not that dross

If he gets a 4 year deal at West Brom, he’s likely to be a first pick in the EPL within a couple of years. He will also be living back home with a happy wife.

Alternatively, he could re-sign and end his career by playing 30 games against Livi.

A footballers career is relatively short and for me homesick WAGS should be told by their man to deal with situations as they arise, and that decisions will be made in the best interest of his career.

They know what they are signing up for.

Plenty of time for daily coffees or proseccos with their mum or pals when the guy chucks the fitba.
The problem with this is that it assumes WAGs are logical.

If he gets a 4 year deal at West Brom, he’s likely to be a first pick in the EPL within a couple of years. He will also be living back home with a happy wife.

Alternatively, he could re-sign and end his career by playing 30 games against Livi.
That’s true but if he proves himself in CL, would a European challenging team not want him?

I honestly thought a team like Everton, Newcastle, Leicester would want him as a squad player. He’s handled Europa league football so I believe he could play for a mid table epl team

I posted this the other day, but Goldson strikes me as a guy who wants to remain fully focused on the league this season - then look at his options in the summer.

Which is to his credit.

I think it’s very noticeable there’s no noise coming from his camp with regards to potential moves down South.

For what it’s worth, I’d love him to stay but if he wins us the league then he can go to one of the mid table jobbers down south with my best wishes.

Back