Goldson - what’s going on with him?

Our defence has gone from top class last season, to amateur hour almost every game this season with basic mistakes aplenty.
Goldson should have been punted, but it's too late now.
I don't think our defence was ever top class and Europe proved that. We didn't concede many because most teams don't attack us, play with one up front , hit us on the break and also because McGregor was in such good form. Goldson is a championship player IMO and I think like Tavernier he goes from being over confident to lacking confidence completely. His recent performances are very unlikely to attract any suitors though and very soon the fans are going to turn on him.

I don't think our defence was ever top class and Europe proved that. We didn't concede many because most teams don't attack us, play with one up front , hit us on the break and also because McGregor was in such good form. Goldson is a championship player IMO and I think like Tavernier he goes from being over confident to lacking confidence completely. His recent performances are very unlikely to attract any suitors though and very soon the fans are going to turn on him.
In hindsight, Goldson and Tav peaked last season and Paterson plays at any other club. Did we get offers for either?

Both Goldson and Tavs confidence looks to be at an all time low, and it's resulting in the worst football I've seen us play in years .
If this continues then we won't get anything in Europe and I can't see us winning the 2nd most important league title in 10 years .

Up till last season he had a mistake in him quite often. Maybe it was last season that was the anomaly? Either way he’s not hit the levels of last season and based on last season can understand why we wanted to keep him, but feel the money we could have got for him in the summer would have been enough to buy an adequate replacement and we’d still have had change left over.

Some amount of rubbish on here. For athletes if they drop performance or fitness by 5% if shows and affects them. This could be for a number of physical or mental reasons. It's very unusual for a player to be 100% fit. Don't forget the consecutive number of games Goldson has played. It would be a miracle if there wasn't a drop in standards. The guy needs a rest but we don't have quality backup.

I am not going to start giving the guy it tight. But if Goldson still hasn't committed to the club by January window then I would rather he was sold.

You don't win titles with players who aren't 100 percent focused. I believe Goldson isn't 100 percent focused and that's why his level has dropped.

No muck slinging or the likes. Just my opinion.
He won't be sold, he will walk. IMO.

If he plays his part in winning us the league this season (guaranteed champions league group stage) and a major part in 55 then walks for a final payday in the EPL at the end of this season then he should go with the blessings of every single Rangers fan.
I have no problem with that.

Goldson was amazing last season. Scored goals, was solid at the back and one of our players of the season.

This season I wish we sold him in the summer and brought someone else in. He is back to being Goldson we first signed and has lost everything he had going for him last season. Don't like he is clearly running down his contract to get a nice signing on fee down south it doesn't sit right with me. We don't have a replacement so have to make do with him and hope he gets back to last season's form ASAP.

It's just my opinion but it's billy big baws syndrome, he fucked up multiple times yesterday and started pointing the finger and shouting at others.

I'd be shocked if he resigned now and next season will most likely end up in the EPL at a newly promoted side.

He is a good defender but he really isn't as good as he thinks he is, if he was the SPL would be a stroll for him.

I do. It’s bad business and we’re hardly rolling in cash.

It’s bad business if you do it over and over again. Doing it once with a crucial member of the team when the financial gains at the end of the season outweigh any fee we could get for the player makes sense.

It's just my opinion but it's billy big baws syndrome, he fucked up multiple times yesterday and started pointing the finger and shouting at others.

I'd be shocked if he resigned now and next season will most likely end up in the EPL at a newly promoted side.

He is a good defender but he really isn't as good as he thinks he is, if he was the SPL would be a stroll for him.

Like playing every minute of the season in a defence that broke pretty much every defensive record in the history of the Scottish game?

Goldson hasn’t hit his usual high standards that’s true, but, let’s be honest, even in his slump he’s the best overall defender in the country and you wouldn’t swap him for anyone.

Like playing every minute of the season in a defence that broke pretty much every defensive record in the history of the Scottish game?
He’s had his defensive partner chop and change and admittedly yes he’s not ‘strolling’ this season, but no defender has clean sheets forever while banging in goals up the other end against ur biggest rival

Both Goldson and Tavs confidence looks to be at an all time low, and it's resulting in the worst football I've seen us play in years .
If this continues then we won't get anything in Europe and I can't see us winning the 2nd most important league title in 10 years .
Two players are to blame for our “worst football in years”?
Two defenders at that!
Can we not look at the form of Davis, Kamara and Aribo in our midfield, the engine room where everything is driven from.
Then can we discuss the forwards and tell me Morelos, Roofe, and Kent haven’t contributed to the problems we have.

He’s had his defensive partner chop and change and admittedly yes he’s not ‘strolling’ this season, but no defender has clean sheets forever while banging in goals up the other end against ur biggest rival

I think people are exaggerating how poor he’s been.

He’s not been at his best but people are making it seem like we’re shipping 3 or 4 goals a game.

Like I said it's just my opinion, and yeah he was great last season, outstanding even, but as Silvio said "your only as good as your last envelope".

He should have kicked on this year but instead we get the not signing so he can focus on his football pish. It hasn't exactly worked for him has it? If he was rock solid again then fair play but he has been really ropey.

What annoyed me yesterday was shouting at everyone else for his own mistakes, that confidence not being matched by his actual play is irritating, he is replaceable, and not worth the money he clearly wants to extend his contract and I hope we don't give him it.

Bottom five or newly promoted EPL team next season, it's a stick on.

Like I said it's just my opinion, and yeah he was great last season, outstanding even, but as Silvio said "your only as good as your last envelope".

He should have kicked on this year but instead we get the not signing so he can focus on his football pish. It hasn't exactly worked for him has it? If he was rock solid again then fair play but he has been really ropey.

What annoyed me yesterday was shouting at everyone else for his own mistakes, that confidence not being matched by his actual play is irritating, he is replaceable, and not worth the money he clearly wants to extend his contract and I hope we don't give him it.

Bottom five or newly promoted EPL team next season, it's a stick on.

I said in the summer that I thought the plan was that he’d sign the new contract only if we reached the CL group stages. I had a feeling that if we didn’t make it then he’d look for a new challenge.

He’s definitely not been at his best but he’s not been anywhere near as bad as a lot of people make out.

If he plays a crucial part in us winning the league this season after delivering 55 then he’d leave with my best wishes.

Goldson was outstanding last season my shout for player of the year but the way hes started this season mistakes slackness blaming others for his mistakes is what he was in his first two seasons at rangers for me. Hes a good player for rangers nothing more nothing less

Thinks he’s Maldini.

Lets be honest these brain farts have been a common theme throughout, they’re just more frequent now.

Part of our problem at the moment is that our captain and vice captain are the worst 2 players in the team most games. And Goldson thinks he’s untouchable
You only need to look at central defence to see that our buying and selling is not good enough. Goldson has been an issue for a while whether it be form or contract renewal

Last edited:
Does he want away? Is he just going through the motions until an offer comes from elsewhere? Does he already know an offer is coming? I suppose only he, his agent and the gaffer will know. But one things for sure, his form (or lack thereof) is a huge concern, particularly with Helander injured and Simpson looking like a Scottish Championship level defender.

If we’re being honest, most of our squad are well off last season’s standards, but the decline in Goldson’s performances had been colossal thus far. From being (imo) the standout player in the league, to looking like an absolute calamity with keystone cops stuff at the back. One thing that was particularly frustrating today was his insistence on trying to blame his team mates for his own shortcomings. Given the sharp decline in performance levels and the contract issue, this is surely more than a simple case of a player out of form?

His head has been turned & he should be taken out of the team as he’s doing more harm than good.

Goldson, Tav and Kent are doing very little to dispel the theory that their good form last season was purely due to no fans being present.

Does he want away? Is he just going through the motions until an offer comes from elsewhere? Does he already know an offer is coming? I suppose only he, his agent and the gaffer will know. But one things for sure, his form (or lack thereof) is a huge concern, particularly with Helander injured and Simpson looking like a Scottish Championship level defender.

If we’re being honest, most of our squad are well off last season’s standards, but the decline in Goldson’s performances had been colossal thus far. From being (imo) the standout player in the league, to looking like an absolute calamity with keystone cops stuff at the back. One thing that was particularly frustrating today was his insistence on trying to blame his team mates for his own shortcomings. Given the sharp decline in performance levels and the contract issue, this is surely more than a simple case of a player out of form?
I mostly agree, except for the bit about Simpson. I think you are being to kind to him, I think he would struggle in the championship, because of his lack of physicality, and awareness
Of what is happening roundabout him.

If he plays his part in winning us the league this season (guaranteed champions league group stage) and a major part in 55 then walks for a final payday in the EPL at the end of this season then he should go with the blessings of every single Rangers fan.

"If..."

That's the problem though. There are too many variables in that scenario for that to even be part of the plan.

What if he does his cruciate next week ? What if his form drops off a cliff ? What if he decides in January to sign a pre contract and we're left with a player who doesn't want to be here ?

Goldson wanting elsewhere isn't the problem for me. He's more than done his part for us. The club virtually waving him cheerio out the door for no fee is the problem. Losing money constantly year in, year out and we're 'comfortable' allowing a multi million pound asset leave on a Bosman ? Someone needs to explain that to me. That might be fine if you're selling Morelos and Kamara for a combined £30m but we've sold no one and for whatever reason we seem unable to get good money in for our players.

We're in no position to be allowing any player to leave for nothing just because of their importance to the team.

"If..."

That's the problem though. There are too many variables in that scenario for that to even be part of the plan.

What if he does his cruciate next week ? What if his form drops off a cliff ? What if he decides in January to sign a pre contract and we're left with a player who doesn't want to be here ?

Goldson wanting elsewhere isn't the problem for me. He's more than done his part for us. The club virtually waving him cheerio out the door for no fee is the problem. Losing money constantly year in, year out and we're 'comfortable' allowing a multi million pound asset leave on a Bosman ? Someone needs to explain that to me. That might be fine if you're selling Morelos and Kamara for a combined £30m but we've sold no one and for whatever reason we seem unable to get good money in for our players.

We're in no position to be allowing any player to leave for nothing just because of their importance to the team.

Maybe Goldson is happy to take all those risks?

Maybe we didn’t get a multi million pound bid for Goldson and he isn’t going to sign a new contract so we’re left with no other option?

Amazing the difference 90 minutes makes. Goldson was excellent on Wednesday and Tav vastly improved our right hand side when he replaced Patterson.

Very few players would've got greater than 5/10 yesterday so it is very much a squad issue that the management need to address.

Maybe Goldson is happy to take all those risks?

Maybe we didn’t get a multi million pound bid for Goldson and he isn’t going to sign a new contract so we’re left with no other option?

More power to Goldson if he's wanting to take those risks. We as a club, in our position, shouldn't.

What's to stop Aribo, Kent and Alfie deciding they're every bit as important as Goldson and that they too will take the Bosman route ? We've now set the precedent with the Goldson situation.

As for the lack of bids, I imagine the club would've made it clear to any potential suitors they weren't interested in selling him. Otherwise we're going to the less than believable scenario that no one was interested in Goldson this summer but will be battering down his door next summer.

Think we need to be honest here and look at the entire team, no one has hit the ground running, not just the defence, we are playing poor throughout apart from a few individuals, i don't know if it's just a squad naturally coming to the end of it's lifecycle, not enough quality replacements brought it over time or players looking to move on but it's very concerning.

We are devoid of ideas getting into the final third, the lack of goals is a major concern also but we are still picking up points. I think the Gaffer is just keeping his fingers crossed that we get over this huge lull and get a few really good victories under our belts to push on because the team really are on a knife edge just now, if we fall one way we will win our next cluster of games and be comfortably on top with the others around us dropping points, if we fall the other way the 1-0 wins stop and turn into draws and defeats and we will go into free fall with the players low on confidence.

The next 5 or 6 games will define our season IMO.

More power to Goldson if he's wanting to take those risks. We as a club, in our position, shouldn't.

What's to stop Aribo, Kent and Alfie deciding they're every bit as important as Goldson and that they too will take the Bosman route ? We've now set the precedent with the Goldson situation.

As for the lack of bids, I imagine the club would've made it clear to any potential suitors they weren't interested in selling him. Otherwise we're going to the less than believable scenario that no one was interested in Goldson this summer but will be battering down his door next summer.

What risks would we be taking?

There’s nothing stopping them doing that right now, I don’t really understand how one transfer/bosman would set a precedent for another.

Maybe the club were “only” being offered £4/5/6million and they thought keeping Goldson and getting automatic CL qualification made better financial sense?

For what its worth, not much, i think Goldson is one of the few players holding things together at the moment, yesterday wasnt great but overall i think hes played pretty well.

I wouldnt like to see what happens when hes not there and yeah i know its something we need to deal with or possibly should have before the season started.

I dont really think the contract stuff or cash is the reason for all the poor form(not saying im sure it isnt) i would say 4-3-3 snail speed is the main issue thats why we go through the whole team(apart from possibly Hagi or Lundstram for some reason no idea why) everyone is suffering due to the tactics.

If im being totally honest our style of football and cheating refs worry me more than the players form.

Poor last weekend, poor against Lyon, poor against Dundee Utd, poor in the two Malmö games.

it hasn’t been the best start to the season from him.

He certainly wasn't poor last weekend that's just nonsense-he cruised it and contributed massively with his passing.

He's not been at the standards of last season but the whole team is in the same boat.

He absolutely deserves to be questioned but I think if you've watched Relentless you'll see what he's about. And this thread would have him down as something different altogether.

For what its worth, not much, i think Goldson is one of the few players holding things together at the moment, yesterday wasnt great but overall i think hes played pretty well.

I wouldnt like to see what happens when hes not there and yeah i know its something we need to deal with or possibly should have before the season started.

I dont really think the contract stuff or cash is the reason for all the poor form(not saying im sure it isnt) i would say 4-3-3 snail speed is the main issue thats why we go through the whole team(apart from possibly Hagi or Lundstram for some reason no idea why) everyone is suffering due to the tactics.

If im being totally honest our style of football and cheating refs worry me more than the players form.

I think you are absolutely spot on here with the exception of the ref thing. :)

Back