Goldson - what’s going on with him?

Morelos! Not sure how you come by that.

I don’t think Morelos played well yesterday. Same with Roofe and a host of others. Is that okay. I’d probably give Morelos 6/10.

Or are you not allowed to speak your mind and say someone didn’t have a particularly good game?

Tavernier and Goldson were all over the shop. The amount of times Tavernier was turned or sold himself was poor. Too easily beaten last weekend in the build up to their goal. Even going forward the Tavernier we know just isn’t there.

What risks would we be taking?

There’s nothing stopping them doing that right now, I don’t really understand how one transfer/bosman would set a precedent for another.

Maybe the club were “only” being offered £4/5/6million and they thought keeping Goldson and getting automatic CL qualification made better financial sense?

Has it been confirmed that the Scottish champions are guaranteed CL group football ?

What are the risks ? Injury/Illness/Loss of form/Downing tools/Signing a pre contract in January

The bigger picture is we have 5 players going into their last year of their deal and another 7 out of contract. There is a massive rebuild that needs to take place next summer and allowing Goldson to walk for free on the hope we win the title is financially mental

Surely it would be easier to recruit Goldson's replacement with a £5m fee in our pocket than with hee haw ?

It might just be me but I don't think we're in a financial position to turn our nose up at £5m in the hope we might get a CL cheque next summer. Fine if we're rolling in cash and the top 2 in the league are guaranteed CL group football but we're not.

Has it been confirmed that the Scottish champions are guaranteed CL group football ?

What are the risks ? Injury/Illness/Loss of form/Downing tools/Signing a pre contract in January

The bigger picture is we have 5 players going into their last year of their deal and another 7 out of contract. There is a massive rebuild that needs to take place next summer and allowing Goldson to walk for free on the hope we win the title is financially mental

Surely it would be easier to recruit Goldson's replacement with a £5m fee in our pocket than with hee haw ?

It might just be me but I don't think we're in a financial position to turn our nose up at £5m in the hope we might get a CL cheque next summer. Fine if we're rolling in cash and the top 2 in the league are guaranteed CL group football but we're not.

Yes.

I don’t think Goldson is the type to down tools personally and the rest of the risks you mention are things that could happen even if he signed a new contract.

I would imagine we’d be opening up contract talks with the guys with a year left and if we can’t agree a deal then we’ll sell next summer. If they dig their heels in to leave on a bosman there’s not much we can do about it.

If we’d sold Goldson in the summer for £5million after the season he had this place and the fan base would’ve been in complete meltdown.

What if the guy we brought in to replace Goldson was terrible? What if he started making mistakes and costing us points? There’s no guarantee we’d have got someone as good as Goldson to replace him.

The automatic CL qualification at the end of the season is a bigger prize than £5million for Goldson and I think we’re more likely to win the league with Goldson in the team this season IMO.

The response to Goldson’s form this season has been way OTT, particularly yesterdays showing. He was poor at the start of the season then rediscovered his form. He wasn’t great yesterday, particularly at their penalty, but it wasn’t the catastrophic performance you’d assume reading this thread. There were others who were poorer in fact. I‘ve concerns about the form of the team overall, not just 1 or even 2 players.

Fans have got the hump because he hasn’t signed a new contract. Same happened with Lundstram and the Sheffield United fans last season. Goodness knows how many years after the Bosman Ruling folk still haven’t got used to the idea that’s how it works these days. The player gets to have a say, rightly, in his future. If Goldson thinks he’s worth more than Rangers are offering he’s entitled to look elsewhere - just like you or I would.

I don’t think ‘his mind is elsewhere’ and nor do I think ‘he isn’t trying a leg’. That’s just easy labels to stick on a guy with no basis in reality. Like most of our team he simply isn’t quite there with his form yet. Collectively they need to sort that out. I’ve no more concerns over Goldson, despite his contract situation, than I do over any others.

The response to Goldson’s form this season has been way OTT, particularly yesterdays showing. He was poor at the start of the season then rediscovered his form. He wasn’t great yesterday, particularly at their penalty, but it wasn’t the catastrophic performance you’d assume reading this thread. There were others who were poorer in fact. I‘ve concerns about the form of the team overall, not just 1 or even 2 players.

Fans have got the hump because he hasn’t signed a new contract. Same happened with Lundstram and the Sheffield United fans last season. Goodness knows how many years after the Bosman Ruling folk still haven’t got used to the idea that’s how it works these days. The player gets to have a say, rightly, in his future. If Goldson thinks he’s worth more than Rangers are offering he’s entitled to look elsewhere - just like you or I would.

I don’t think ‘his mind is elsewhere’ and nor do I think ‘he isn’t trying a leg’. That’s just easy labels to stick on a guy with no basis in reality. Like most of our team he simply isn’t quite there with his form yet. Collectively they need to sort that out. I’ve no more concerns over Goldson, despite his contract situation, than I do over any others.

Absolutely spot on.

Does he want away? Is he just going through the motions until an offer comes from elsewhere? Does he already know an offer is coming? I suppose only he, his agent and the gaffer will know. But one things for sure, his form (or lack thereof) is a huge concern, particularly with Helander injured and Simpson looking like a Scottish Championship level defender.

If we’re being honest, most of our squad are well off last season’s standards, but the decline in Goldson’s performances had been colossal thus far. From being (imo) the standout player in the league, to looking like an absolute calamity with keystone cops stuff at the back. One thing that was particularly frustrating today was his insistence on trying to blame his team mates for his own shortcomings. Given the sharp decline in performance levels and the contract issue, this is surely more than a simple case of a player out of form?
No Helander pulling over and covering for him and Balagu
Does he want away? Is he just going through the motions until an offer comes from elsewhere? Does he already know an offer is coming? I suppose only he, his agent and the gaffer will know. But one things for sure, his form (or lack thereof) is a huge concern, particularly with Helander injured and Simpson looking like a Scottish Championship level defender.

If we’re being honest, most of our squad are well off last season’s standards, but the decline in Goldson’s performances had been colossal thus far. From being (imo) the standout player in the league, to looking like an absolute calamity with keystone cops stuff at the back. One thing that was particularly frustrating today was his insistence on trying to blame his team mates for his own shortcomings. Given the sharp decline in performance levels and the contract issue, this is surely more than a simple case of a player out of form?
No Helander pulling over to cover his mistakes and Balogun plays farther over

He has been crap mate. Why do you think we have conceded so many goals this season. Not just him, but he has been a major part in our frailties at the back.

He has been crap mate. Why do you think we have conceded so many goals this season. Not just him, but he has been a major part in our frailties at the back.
We’ve conceded goals because the entire team - every one of them - has yet to really perform. At least you kinda took a step towards that with your ‘not just him’ comment. As ever, FF needs a scapegoat though.

Bougherra definitely had a mistake in him too mate.
Wouldn’t say it was anywhere near the level Goldson has, if you’re comparing over the 4 year he’s been here rather than focusing on his excellent season last year

We’ve conceded goals because the entire team - every one of them - has yet to really perform. At least you kinda took a step towards that with your ‘not just him’ comment. As ever, FF needs a scapegoat though.
Of course i am not only blaming him, but as i said his performances have been a major problem. He has been horrendous. Getting caught out all the time, his amazing passing from last season has turned into shane duffy like passing. A total wasted ball 99% of the time and teams right back on us.

Of course i am not only blaming him, but as i said his performances have been a major problem. He has been horrendous. Getting caught out all the time, his amazing passing from last season has turned into shane duffy like passing. A total wasted ball 99% of the time and teams right back on us.
Those ‘total wasted balls’ should have brought goals for both Wright and Bassey just last week though.:rolleyes:

His overall form has been poor, like all the rest, but his passing is a strange stick to beat him with.

If he plays his part in winning us the league this season (guaranteed champions league group stage) and a major part in 55 then walks for a final payday in the EPL at the end of this season then he should go with the blessings of every single Rangers fan.

I do get the sentiment here. But the issue is if his form continues on it's same path, and the noise around him looking potentially like he wants to be elsewhere then goodwill fades fast. Especially if the errors start costing us games.

I would want nothing more than the big man focusing, finding his best form and leaving a hero mind you.

But for that to happen he needs to step up the levels again.

Can he do that if he doesn't want to be here long term?

Yeah, I’d say Amoruso was a good player but always felt he had a mistake in him. I’d say likes of Weir/Bougherra/Cuellar were more reliable
Always had a love/hate view of big Amo - with the love part dominant. He played some magnificent stuff for us but at times you could hear his clangers in Melbourne. :))
Cuellar I thought was damn close to perfect in his (too) brief stay with us. Even the handball penalty and send off you could understand from his determination to keep the ball out of our net.

It’s hard to imagine that it’s not contract related.

Far, far better players than Goldson have dropped a level the season before leaving their clubs on a free transfer.

Yes.

I don’t think Goldson is the type to down tools personally and the rest of the risks you mention are things that could happen even if he signed a new contract.

I would imagine we’d be opening up contract talks with the guys with a year left and if we can’t agree a deal then we’ll sell next summer. If they dig their heels in to leave on a bosman there’s not much we can do about it.

If we’d sold Goldson in the summer for £5million after the season he had this place and the fan base would’ve been in complete meltdown.

What if the guy we brought in to replace Goldson was terrible? What if he started making mistakes and costing us points? There’s no guarantee we’d have got someone as good as Goldson to replace him.

The automatic CL qualification at the end of the season is a bigger prize than £5million for Goldson and I think we’re more likely to win the league with Goldson in the team this season IMO.
Scottish champions aren’t “guaranteed” CL group stage next season, they currently enter at the play off stage. I do agree with your general point though.

Those ‘total wasted balls’ should have brought goals for both Wright and Bassey just last week though.:rolleyes:

His overall form has been poor, like all the rest, but his passing is a strange stick to beat him with.
Two balls from about 50. Is that acceptable? There was more to their keeper/defenders yesterday than in the full of last season.

Scottish champions aren’t “guaranteed” CL group stage next season, they currently enter at the play off stage.

I just read a bit about it there and I think Scotland are guaranteed an automatic CL group stage place as long as the CL winners this season also qualify through their league position.

If he is desperate to leave he`s not doing much to show what he is capable of for potential buyers
He doesn’t seem to have that as a priority.
Maybe it’s because he has a move lined up, I don’t know.
I just look at him and wonder what he’s thinking.

More power to Goldson if he's wanting to take those risks. We as a club, in our position, shouldn't.

What's to stop Aribo, Kent and Alfie deciding they're every bit as important as Goldson and that they too will take the Bosman route ? We've now set the precedent with the Goldson situation.

As for the lack of bids, I imagine the club would've made it clear to any potential suitors they weren't interested in selling him. Otherwise we're going to the less than believable scenario that no one was interested in Goldson this summer but will be battering down his door next summer.
I’m surprised at your take on this.
Is it not just as possible that Goldson has decided to sit tight and reject any move in order to secure himself a bigger signing on fee?
It still takes three sides to agree a move.

If he plays his part in winning us the league this season (guaranteed champions league group stage) and a major part in 55 then walks for a final payday in the EPL at the end of this season then he should go with the blessings of every single Rangers fan.
Not great business sense is it , more so as we are not exactly cash rich.

I’m surprised at your take on this.
Is it not just as possible that Goldson has decided to sit tight and reject any move in order to secure himself a bigger signing on fee?
It still takes three sides to agree a move.

He probably has and again, this is no criticism of Goldson either. If he sees out his contract and leaves for a bigger wage then fair play to him. My take on it is that we have virtually invited him to do so.

From our point of view, we've allowed a multi million pound asset have their value slashed to virtually zero. In our financial position, it's hardly sound business sense especially when you can't seemingly get money in the door from transfers elsewhere either and you are staring at a massive rebuild in a year's time.

The contract offer has been sitting waiting on his signature for months now. If he was going to sign it, he'd have done so. I don't think there is anything wrong with telling any player with 12 months on his deal that there has to be a certain cut off point otherwise we need to maximise our chances of cashing in on him. If the player insists he's not leaving and not signing a new deal either then he sits in the stand.

This isn't just about Goldson. That goes for any player. Otherwise, what stops incentivising the rest of them to run down their deals ?

A few factors that leave the Bear unhappy, and most are not really new.

I doubt that Goldson`s contract has anything to do with his performances, after all, SG would spot that and act accordingly. What is clearly there is that he is not at his level of last season, something we probably take for granted from then on ... and essentially this is what a club as ours demand and wants to have. Happened in the past, legends of old like Gough, Brown and Co. had their spells and got over it ... though usually any of their errors were wiped out by the goals-scored column. And there is our current plight. Actually, it is not current, it has been rumbling on for years and even when we won the title (not least due to the cool goals-conceded column). For we continue to play too few lethal attackers* in our supposedly 4-3-3. Its all fine and well if Aribo or Hagi or Kent or Wright add a goal every now and then, but it should be Roofe - Morelos - Sakala up top, true strikers who can take up any slot along the front line comfortably, and any other player can slot in behind them. Morelos these days goes out wide, draws a few defenders with him, but then our most potent weapon is not there wher he should be. As it stand, we score the odd goal and if we don`t manage a second, it becomes a toil that grows every minute, not least with our defence not hitting top form. Tav was easily bypassed 2 or 3 times as well. Once we get in front, we can revert to the 4-2-3-1 and hit teams with pacy attackers like Kent, Wright and Bacuna.

*And all those lamenting Kent`s absence, get real! His impact on the scoreboard this season was/is far from impressive or justifying a starting slot every week.

He probably has and again, this is no criticism of Goldson either. If he sees out his contract and leaves for a bigger wage then fair play to him. My take on it is that we have virtually invited him to do so.

From our point of view, we've allowed a multi million pound asset have their value slashed to virtually zero. In our financial position, it's hardly sound business sense especially when you can't seemingly get money in the door from transfers elsewhere either and you are staring at a massive rebuild in a year's time.

The contract offer has been sitting waiting on his signature for months now. If he was going to sign it, he'd have done so. I don't think there is anything wrong with telling any player with 12 months on his deal that there has to be a certain cut off point otherwise we need to maximise our chances of cashing in on him. If the player insists he's not leaving and not signing a new deal either then he sits in the stand.

This isn't just about Goldson. That goes for any player. Otherwise, what stops incentivising the rest of them to run down their deals ?
At what point do you start negotiating the next contract?
I don’t think this negotiating only started when the season ended as it hasn’t with a number of others.

All this talk about Goldson being a multi million pound asset but has he even been linked with another team never mind millions being offered for him?

At what point do you start negotiating the next contract?
I don’t think this negotiating only started when the season ended as it hasn’t with a number of others.
I’m sure you’re likely being rhetorical, but for me, discussions have to begin two years before expiration and resolved as quickly as possible.

Give them the best deal you can, if they don’t make a decision by day X then look to sell them and recoup some money.

We have a lot of contracts expiring in the next two years, some will leave due to their age or decline, others will want more game time, but the assets - we need to die down.

Do folk genuinely think the guy is playing badly to try and work himself a move / run down his contract?

That is an incredibly stupid line of thinking.
No, but the fact he has it in his head he's leaving, is bound to affect performance. If his agent has tipped him the wink of precontract offers for EPL, incoming, is he interested in Dundee away, or some hammer thrower breaking his leg? No, he's not. He's only human. It's on the club.

I do get the sentiment here. But the issue is if his form continues on it's same path, and the noise around him looking potentially like he wants to be elsewhere then goodwill fades fast. Especially if the errors start costing us games.

I would want nothing more than the big man focusing, finding his best form and leaving a hero mind you.

But for that to happen he needs to step up the levels again.

Can he do that if he doesn't want to be here long term?
This!

There’s players off form and there’s players playing within themselves. Hard to know which line some of these are on. Half a dozen at least need a shake.

Kamara's contract offer was on the table from about February. He signed in last week. Slightly different in that he had until 2023 but probably a fair indication that these things can be tortuous to negotiate to everyone's satisfaction.

I have no problem with Goldson leaving - or staying for that matter - but I want to see an improvement in his, and everyone else's form. I don't consider the contract situation to be a factor in all honesty. What excuse do the rest have?

From a different perspective, from a Rangers point of view....Does he deserve a new deal based on his form this year? Last year 100%, but this year I would say not. I like him generally but he will be on a fair penny, who is to say that we can't upgrade on him to someone else who would take the same yearly wage? I don't like the fact that we let him go for nothing, but let's not throw bad money after good (signing him up on big money so he can't go for free)

He played well against Motherwell and Livingston?

I seen those two games and nothing to do against Livi but poor against Motherwell. Diabolical against Lyon, dire yesterday.. He has not played "well" this season mate.

He played well the last two games that's what I said and plenty of others have said but what you can detect as I said away back at the start is a section have a downer on him.

Tav was worse yesterday, Hagi would have been as well sitting next to me after a decent opening....no threads on them. Our support love a scapegoat, he's yer man at the moment.

He’s had his defensive partner chop and change and admittedly yes he’s not ‘strolling’ this season, but no defender has clean sheets forever while banging in goals up the other end against ur biggest rival
Another poor excuse.
Compare with an ageing David Weir, okay I accept that’s a high level, who played with a few partners and, not only maintained an incredibly high standard but helped improve players we now include in our best of the century thinking.
Players like Bougherra and Cueller.
Add in schoolboy to multi million pound teenager, Danny Wilson.

He certainly wasn't poor last weekend that's just nonsense-he cruised it and contributed massively with his passing.

He's not been at the standards of last season but the whole team is in the same boat.

He absolutely deserves to be questioned but I think if you've watched Relentless you'll see what he's about. And this thread would have him down as something different altogether.

Didn’t we almost concede last week due to one of his short back passes? I also remember him fumbling it out for a corner a couple of times. He wasn’t as bad as this weekend, but he far from “cruised” it.

I love big Goldson but I must admit I’m surprised at his stubbornness over the contract. Just sign it ffs

Didn’t we almost concede last week due to one of his short back passes? I also remember him fumbling it out for a corner a couple of times. He wasn’t as bad as this weekend, but he far from “cruised” it.
Nope he was like a mix of Baresi and Beckenbauer in both games.....

Never really gotten the high opinion of Goldson, his strengths have been his durability, pace, goal scoring and leadership.

That's all highly desirable, but as a Central Defender his positioning, concentration and ability to deal with attackers running at him (especially in Europe) are all below standard.

But as with the squad as a whole, the need to freshen it up and keep it hungry means players need to leave and we've just not shown the confidence as an organisation to move on and trust our considerable coaching team and recruitment analysis.

I get that it can descend into fantasy football and a team is more than you see on paper, but the rules around running down contracts have to apply to everybody or nobody.

Back