Goldson - what’s going on with him?

He certainly wasn't poor last weekend that's just nonsense-he cruised it and contributed massively with his passing.

He's not been at the standards of last season but the whole team is in the same boat.

He absolutely deserves to be questioned but I think if you've watched Relentless you'll see what he's about. And this thread would have him down as something different altogether.
I agree that the team is more than just the surface, but the poster made a point a point about three other games you've failed to address.

If he's floundering every other game, the leadership and intensity he provides is undermined.

Never really gotten the high opinion of Goldson, his strengths have been his durability, pace, goal scoring and leadership.

That's all highly desirable, but as a Central Defender his positioning, concentration and ability to deal with attackers running at him (especially in Europe) are all below standard.

But as with the squad as a whole, the need to freshen it up and keep it hungry means players need to leave and we've just not shown the confidence as an organisation to move on and trust our considerable coaching team and recruitment analysis.

I get that it can descend into fantasy football and a team is more than you see on paper, but the rules around running down contracts have to apply to everybody or nobody.

Aye our defensive record record was shite last season and our performances in Europe shit.
He's at a good standard for what we paid and is absolutely crucial in Scotland for coming forward with the ball.

No he's not Terry Butcher and I go back to the contract situation we either trust the manager on this rather than punters.....he's not going to damage himself or the club in my opinion.

Last season he was pivotal but our supporters flip and flop on players on a weekly basis throw in the contract issue and you have what you have.....

I agree that the team is more than just the surface, but the poster made a point a point about three other games you've failed to address.

If he's floundering every other game, the leadership and intensity he provides is undermined.

The team by your analysis is floundering every other game....we are not playing well Goldson has been better than quite a few in overall terms but of course he's been wobbly in games this tends to happen if the team is all over the place.
There's barely a player who has made a solid and consistent start to the season. He's getting it tighter because of the contract situation and because believe it or not the number one whipping boy Kent is out.....

The team by your analysis is floundering every other game....we are not playing well Goldson has been better than quite a few in overall terms but of course he's been wobbly in games this tends to happen if the team is all over the place.
There's barely a player who has made a solid and consistent start to the season. He's getting it tighter because of the contract situation and because believe it or not the number one whipping boy Kent is out.....
He was really poor yesterday mate and not for the first time this season,he was lucky he didnt cause us to lose 2 points really that simple what done my head in with him yesterday again is blaming everyone else when a blind man can see hes a fault a lot of the time.

He was really poor yesterday mate and not for the first time this season,he was lucky he didnt cause us to lose 2 points really that simple what done my head in with him yesterday again is blaming everyone else when a blind man can see hes a fault a lot of the time.
Only times I recall him shouting at /blaming somebody else were the twice Tav got skinned by their left-back. It was the same the week before against Motherwell, where he twice gave Tav a roasting. Not something you normally see between that pair but I can't honestly say Tav didn't deserve it on each occasion. The two certainly aren't as 'tight' as they normally are.

Does he want away? Is he just going through the motions until an offer comes from elsewhere? Does he already know an offer is coming? I suppose only he, his agent and the gaffer will know. But one things for sure, his form (or lack thereof) is a huge concern, particularly with Helander injured and Simpson looking like a Scottish Championship level defender.

If we’re being honest, most of our squad are well off last season’s standards, but the decline in Goldson’s performances had been colossal thus far. From being (imo) the standout player in the league, to looking like an absolute calamity with keystone cops stuff at the back. One thing that was particularly frustrating today was his insistence on trying to blame his team mates for his own shortcomings. Given the sharp decline in performance levels and the contract issue, this is surely more than a simple case of a player out of form?
He was very poor at the weekend along with everyone else but his form has been great since Malmö. Hopefully just a one off more to the whole team being so shite

The point isn't that he wasn't poor yesterday he was.....nor the fact that overall this season his form is not as good. As you point out a blind man can see that.

The point is if we believe that his loss of form is down to contract issues/working his ticket....then how do we explain the form of another 12/13 of our players?

He's getting singled out, I heard it last week at the game and it's a constant theme on here....he actually shows as much effort/determination and leadership to try to move it forward as anyone in the squad. And he's actually in relative terms not been as bad as some who are escaping criticism....it's how our punters work.

The point isn't that he wasn't poor yesterday he was.....nor the fact that overall this season his form is not as good. As you point out a blind man can see that.

The point is if we believe that his loss of form is down to contract issues/working his ticket....then how do we explain the form of another 12/13 of our players?

He's getting singled out, I heard it last week at the game and it's a constant theme on here....he actually shows as much effort/determination and leadership to try to move it forward as anyone in the squad. And he's actually in relative terms not been as bad as some who are escaping criticism....it's how our punters work.
I agree the full team are all showing a loss of form and im critical of them too,but yesterday is the first time ive ever singled out Goldson as in my opinion he was the worst of a bad bunch thats all the mistake for the penalty was schoolboy stuff.

"If..."

That's the problem though. There are too many variables in that scenario for that to even be part of the plan.

What if he does his cruciate next week ? What if his form drops off a cliff ? What if he decides in January to sign a pre contract and we're left with a player who doesn't want to be here ?

Goldson wanting elsewhere isn't the problem for me. He's more than done his part for us. The club virtually waving him cheerio out the door for no fee is the problem. Losing money constantly year in, year out and we're 'comfortable' allowing a multi million pound asset leave on a Bosman ? Someone needs to explain that to me. That might be fine if you're selling Morelos and Kamara for a combined £30m but we've sold no one and for whatever reason we seem unable to get good money in for our players.

We're in no position to be allowing any player to leave for nothing just because of their importance to the team.
Many posters on here said sell him if he wouldn't sign a new contract, as good as he's been for us I agree.

Even in a difficult market we should have been able to more than recoup what we paid and then reinvest in a replacement.

Many posters on here said sell him if he wouldn't sign a new contract, as good as he's been for us I agree.

Even in a difficult market we should have been able to more than recoup what we paid and then reinvest in a replacement.
How?
Where does this sort of thinking come from. Goldson has just has had his best season and his contract was for the want of a better expression in a fragile situation.
And yet we didn't get offers, there was an opportunity for clubs to probably get him at a good price.

You can't just sell players....they need buyers. I suspect whatever we potentially get for Goldson we will struggle to get a suitable replacement.

How?
Where does this sort of thinking come from. Goldson has just has had his best season and his contract was for the want of a better expression in a fragile situation.
And yet we didn't get offers, there was an opportunity for clubs to probably get him at a good price.

You can't just sell players....they need buyers. I suspect whatever we potentially get for Goldson we will struggle to get a suitable replacement.
if we offered him for 4million and bought doeki (sp ) it would be a upgrade and bank the rest of the money

now were needing to replace him and losing money

he is far from irreplaceable imo, i think a few have short memories

his first couple of seasons he had a blunder every game

How?

How do you know we didn't get offers?
Ross Wilson has gone on record as saying we received 'significant offers' for our players.

Given Goldson was the cornerstone of our defensive record achieving side it's entirely possible someone would have bought him, particularly if we let it be known we were willing to deal.

We bought Goldson for circa 3 million, I'm confident we could have got more than that despite only having a year left on his current contract and nearer 30.

We then recruit someone not the finished article (Doekhi as an example) and look to develop him beside more experienced players like Balogun and Helander.

I like Goldson but allowing players to run down their contracts sets a dangerous precedent imo.
And financially it's very risky for the likes of us.

If he plays his part in winning us the league this season (guaranteed champions league group stage) and a major part in 55 then walks for a final payday in the EPL at the end of this season then he should go with the blessings of every single Rangers fan.
My thoughts, too.

Another poor excuse.
Compare with an ageing David Weir, okay I accept that’s a high level, who played with a few partners and, not only maintained an incredibly high standard but helped improve players we now include in our best of the century thinking.
Players like Bougherra and Cueller.
Add in schoolboy to multi million pound teenager, Danny Wilson.
Davie weir was regularly called past it every time he had a bad game, only to bounce back.

How do you know we didn't get offers?
Ross Wilson has gone on record as saying we received 'significant offers' for our players.

Given Goldson was the cornerstone of our defensive record achieving side it's entirely possible someone would have bought him, particularly if we let it be known we were willing to deal.

We bought Goldson for circa 3 million, I'm confident we could have got more than that despite only having a year left on his current contract and nearer 30.

We then recruit someone not the finished article (Doekhi as an example) and look to develop him beside more experienced players like Balogun and Helander.

I like Goldson but allowing players to run down their contracts sets a dangerous precedent imo.
And financially it's very risky for the likes of us.

SG said otherwise....anyway we are going round in circles....time to take a breather and laugh at the Beggars.

He'll get rinsed in the EPL on a regular basis if he moves down there.

He was my POTY last season but he's making too many errors at the minute.

I don't know if he thinks he's too good for this league and it's effecting his concentration but he doesn't look anywhere near as assured as he did last season.

Does he want away? Is he just going through the motions until an offer comes from elsewhere? Does he already know an offer is coming? I suppose only he, his agent and the gaffer will know. But one things for sure, his form (or lack thereof) is a huge concern, particularly with Helander injured and Simpson looking like a Scottish Championship level defender.

If we’re being honest, most of our squad are well off last season’s standards, but the decline in Goldson’s performances had been colossal thus far. From being (imo) the standout player in the league, to looking like an absolute calamity with keystone cops stuff at the back. One thing that was particularly frustrating today was his insistence on trying to blame his team mates for his own shortcomings. Given the sharp decline in performance levels and the contract issue, this is surely more than a simple case of a player out of form?
Since he got they new teeth hes been well off form

Based on nothing more than a hunch, I suspect he wanted away in the summer and is still to refocus himself.

Thought he played better midweek and was turning a corner again but he was terrible yesterday, his defending at the penalty was shocking

It’s complacency and lack of concentration from him

Goldson is quick to call out others in the team for a lack of concentration but letting that ball bounce yesterday which allowed McMullan to get in behind was a shocker.

Sometimes I think he thinks he’s good enough to stroll it at times. Not saying it’s a bad thing but it’s when complacency kicks in.

I don’t think Morelos played well yesterday. Same with Roofe and a host of others. Is that okay. I’d probably give Morelos 6/10.

Or are you not allowed to speak your mind and say someone didn’t have a particularly good game?

Tavernier and Goldson were all over the shop. The amount of times Tavernier was turned or sold himself was poor. Too easily beaten last weekend in the build up to their goal. Even going forward the Tavernier we know just isn’t there.
Or are you not allowed to speak your mind and say someone didn’t have a particularly good game?

I only said I wonder why you think Morelos played so bad. I never questioned your right to have an opinion. If you think that then great but he created the goal and was linking play well. That is only my opinion and I certainly won't stop you having yours.

For what its worth, not much, i think Goldson is one of the few players holding things together at the moment, yesterday wasnt great but overall i think hes played pretty well.

I wouldnt like to see what happens when hes not there and yeah i know its something we need to deal with or possibly should have before the season started.

I dont really think the contract stuff or cash is the reason for all the poor form(not saying im sure it isnt) i would say 4-3-3 snail speed is the main issue thats why we go through the whole team(apart from possibly Hagi or Lundstram for some reason no idea why) everyone is suffering due to the tactics.

If im being totally honest our style of football and cheating refs worry me more than the players form.
Good, post.

Yes.

I don’t think Goldson is the type to down tools personally and the rest of the risks you mention are things that could happen even if he signed a new contract.

I would imagine we’d be opening up contract talks with the guys with a year left and if we can’t agree a deal then we’ll sell next summer. If they dig their heels in to leave on a bosman there’s not much we can do about it.

If we’d sold Goldson in the summer for £5million after the season he had this place and the fan base would’ve been in complete meltdown.

What if the guy we brought in to replace Goldson was terrible? What if he started making mistakes and costing us points? There’s no guarantee we’d have got someone as good as Goldson to replace him.

The automatic CL qualification at the end of the season is a bigger prize than £5million for Goldson and I think we’re more likely to win the league with Goldson in the team this season IMO.
Good, post.

I’m comfortable in saying Rangers have screwed this one up and I mean in terms of financials and team performance . This should not have happened .

now in terms of CG form this season it really doesn’t matter to me the reasons for such a significant drop off the point I see is he isn’t performing and isn’t conducive to signing a new contract at a no doubt very good payrate as we head for a economic downturn of who knows what proportions . Others have taken deals and I would imagine he was offered equally good terms , everything the manager says puts Connor in the top grouping . What more does he want ? what more does he think he merits ? Does he understand our club has all sorts of challenges to meet including massive financial unknowns ?

The part in bold is what has worried me over the past few games. Even good players make mistakes, but they should accept their responsibility. Goldson certainly hasn't.

Footballer has poor game, imagine that.

Was an absolute rock last season hopefully he can find that form again soon.

Haven’t read the full thread so apologies if already covered.
I suppose it can’t be easy for a player if they think they’re worth X amount but their current club don’t agree
maybe feel’s underappreciated and that shows I’m his play. We all know it shouldn’t but we are not in that position and subconsciously can affect his play

He'll get rinsed in the EPL on a regular basis if he moves down there.

He was my POTY last season but he's making too many errors at the minute.

I don't know if he thinks he's too good for this league and it's effecting his concentration but he doesn't look anywhere near as assured as he did last season.

Ajer regularly got rinsed against us, yet he seems to be holding his own in the EPL.
Shane Duffy was woeful up here, yet he seems to be doing ok for Brighton.

Goldson would cope fine in the EPL.

He has been shaky in a couple of games this season, but has been nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

It’s maybe the case that our defence suffer when we are not putting the ball in the net.
When we score a couple against these teams who shore up that when they open up and we take over.
Our big problem is midfield linking up with forwards. We lack ideas.

How?

I’m hoping the club have the big Dutch boy lined up on a bowman, he was mentioned on here as a target his name escapes me Dothraki or similar seems a good pedigree

I’ve never been a massive fan. Makes a lot of mistakes that someone use us lot bails him out of. But he was good last season. Never once have I believed he’s our best CB.

But he’s not playing well and is out of contract soon. And Gerrard will still never drop him. Sends a bad message to the rest of the squad.

I’ve never been a massive fan. Makes a lot of mistakes that someone use us lot bails him out of. But he was good last season. Never once have I believed he’s our best CB.

But he’s not playing well and is out of contract soon. And Gerrard will still never drop him. Sends a bad message to the rest of the squad.
We can’t drop any of those two CD we are currently starting . Simpson , being the fourth option , has however been dropped , rightly .

He was bad on Saturday. Constantly lazily giving the ball away but he usually does that at least once a game - it's not a new thing. He needs to focus (in more ways than one)

Only times I recall him shouting at /blaming somebody else were the twice Tav got skinned by their left-back. It was the same the week before against Motherwell, where he twice gave Tav a roasting. Not something you normally see between that pair but I can't honestly say Tav didn't deserve it on each occasion. The two certainly aren't as 'tight' as they normally are.

Did you forget when Goldson headed the ball directly to Griffiths then had the cheek to have a go at the keeper?

What about when Dundee punted a long ball over the top that he couldn't defend, resulting in a penalty?

Did you forget when Goldson headed the ball directly to Griffiths then had the cheek to have a go at the keeper?

What about when Dundee punted a long ball over the top that he couldn't defend, resulting in a penalty?
Who did he shout at then? Can't recall him blaming anyone else or shouting at any of his own after the penalty.

He did shout at McLaughlin at the header incident so I take your point on that one - though I also felt JM didn't give him the right angle. Nevertheless, primarily Goldson's error and he did shout so fair play.

Nobody is denying he's not been 'at it' but my response was to the comment about him shouting at/blaming everyone else.

Goldson is showing us no loyalty we made him the player he is & a champion at Brighton Duffy was ahead of him in the pecking order so he is not that good not even the best C/H at Ibrox at the moment give him a deadline to sign if he is still as stubborn drop him to the youths & sell bring back Katic for cover until Helender is fit , we have had enough of his pish .

Let's be honest he has always been error prone happens every season, you don't remember the ones you get away with when you win the league. His long balls have become excellent but I'm a fan of center halves being good defenders first anything else is a bonus but you get judged on clean sheets. On defending one and one situations I am never relaxed you can generally go with your gut on how safe you feel Goldson makes me nervous at times and if he his contract was to expire I would still see him as a big success and potential for us to recruit a more sound defender at the same time.

Goldson is showing us no loyalty we made him the player he is & a champion at Brighton Duffy was ahead of him in the pecking order so he is not that good not even the best C/H at Ibrox at the moment give him a deadline to sign if he is still as stubborn drop him to the youths & sell bring back Katic for cover until Helender is fit , we have had enough of his pish .
So much wrong with that, but let's just leave it at the fact Katic is now registered to play for Hadjuk Split and cannot play for any other club - even his parent club - until the January transfer window opens.

He is honouring his contract,that is loyalty.
We made the error here,sign on the dotted line by a certain date or your up for sale to the highest bidder.

Nobody is willing to pay a transfer fee for a reason and he’s happy to run down and get a great signing on fee.

If it was up to me depending how things are in January or if he’s not sorted his game out he should be out the door for whatever we can get for him and it’s not a big loss depending how and where we are in the league.
I tend to agree but we need to have a decent replacement lined up.

He is honouring his contract,that is loyalty.
We made the error here,sign on the dotted line by a certain date or your up for sale to the highest bidder.
I bet he signs a pre contract & we get F all for him that's the loyalty am talking about get him to sign even if he wants to leave then at least we get a fee for him .

If he's looking to work his ticket he's going about it all the wrong way. He needs to be playing to his best ability every week to catch the eye of any potential suitors. Scouts look for attitude, responsibility and professionalism and not just skill when assessing targets.

Back