Goldson, when does the experiment finish?

Goldson was poor at the goal, but has been one of our better performers this season.

I dunno, I was just always taught that you don’t fvck about with your Centre halves.
I don't think he has been one of our better performers at all in fact I think he hides behind our other centre backs as he did first half last night leaving Katic to won all the air battles, just because people on this forum say he is a good player does not make him one and I have been watching him all season, he is not for me sorry.

When is the big Swede due back? I think it's time that we went with three at the back, 5 in midfield and two up front.

Use Tav and Barisic as out and out midfielders with some defensive responsibilities and have Jack in front of the Defence. Use Hagi and Aribo as creators and Alfie and Kent/Stewart/Defoe as forwards or sell Alfie and go with Defoe and Stewart.

My feeling is that Alfie is getting to be an expensive luxury which we can no longer afford.
Tav as an out and out defender you say lol, lol.

I don't think he has been one of our better performers at all in fact I think he hides behind our other centre backs as he did first half last night leaving Katic to won all the air battles, just because people on this forum say he is a good player does not make him one and I have been watching him all season, he is not for me sorry.

The ‘forum’ may agree or otherwise, that’s not a factor in my thinking.

From my vantage point in the Broomie Rear, he seems positionally, organisationally and distribution wise our best CH.

He needs a settled partner. The constant chop-change benefits no-one.

Time and time again there are silly mistakes. Katic, Helander, Edmundson all chop and change to accommodate him, yet he's the one mainstay.
For him to let that wee phud Brophy in so easily for that winner last night was disgraceful, proper amateur stuff over and over from him. Knowing he won't be dropped doesn't give him a spur to improve or cut out the mistakes.

As long as SG continues with him then we will continue to struggle
I rate him as a player however you're spot on in that he knows he won't be dropped and as such isn't as motivated not to make an error as the rest. Needs dropping to help him buck up his ideas as this unconditional faith in him isn't doing him any good.

To be honest mate, at this point what do you think would happen if we played Edmunson and Katic for a game? No doubt we would want Goldaon back in. Aberdeen closed down Goldson when we played them which made us turn the ball to Katic. In doing so Katic's ability (or inability) to pass the ball was shown up. Apart from yesterday I cant really remember the last big mistake Goldson had made... last one I can remember is his own goal in Moscow last year.

His own goal in Moscow? You’re winding me up mate. He’s had countless gaffs since then, obviously people tend to forget any that don’t result in a goal, but even then you’ve got his suicidal pass that let the scum win the first OF game (ironic given the big argument for him is that he’s a better passer than Katic), or his defending at Pittodrie for both goals, or his pitiful attempt at a tackle in Rotterdam, and there’s more where that came from too. He’s played well since Christmas but still sold the jerseys again last night

You’re right though, there isn’t really any point of Gerrard changing his ways now and giving them all an equally fair bite at the cherry, the time to do that would have been before it cost us valuable points.

First goal, Katic is 5 yards deeper than every other defender. The end result? O'Donnell and the big striker are both onside with the former being completely unmarked and given a tap in.

O’Donnell being completely unmarked is all on Halliday who seemed to be in a world of his own floating around in no man’s land. Katic didn’t cover himself in glory that’s true, but I find it disconcerting (but not surprising) how quick the usual folk were to pin that goal all on him and even the second one, whilst once again absolving the more experienced Goldson of any blame despite.

ps I understand why Katic was where he was, he still has a player in front of him and he stays with him, he also has another player wide in his peripheral vision and presumably wouldn’t have seen the AWOL Halliday anywhere for cover. Should have stepped up but it’s one of those split second decisions that aren’t always easy to get. Much like the first OF of the season where folk had the audacity to try and put that Edouard goal on a Katic where it the reality is CG sold his team mates up the river.

He's our best ch and all 3 of them have made mistakes in the last 3 matches. People really seem to have a problem with Goldson though and cant wait for any little tiny thing to tear him to shreds over :rolleyes:

They dont have a problem with him, they just have a problem with the fact that he is never criticized or dropped, compared to Katic for example who gets thrown under the bus at Press Conferences and dropped. There should be no untouchable players at Rangers.

Goldson is and has been out best CH yes he made a mistake last night but he’s not the problem some people on here can’t wait for him to make a mistake then pounce on it slaying him.

It would be like when we had to do without Tav when he was recovering from his appendectomy, did we realise what a difference not having him would make? It would be the same without Goldson, no he’s not flawless. But how much would an upgrade cost, we have to take players with slightly raggy edges and try to coach the errors out of them. He’s the best CH at the club in this moment in time.

I also have to touch on this point, because I’m not sure if people have noticed, but we’ve been shite since Tav came back in too. He was awful last night and showed no signs of leadership when the chips were down.

I do think that Tavernier and Morelos are far more important than they really ought to be though, and if neither are playing well we’re in big trouble. Which leads me to believe that Gerrard and his own buys (Tav and Morelos are Warburton and Caixinba signings) aren’t quite cutting it.

As most folk know, I've never rated him. That said, he had been playing well recently and I was hoping to eat a huge bowl of humble pie come the end of the season. Unfortunately his defending for the winning goal was shocking. Katic didn't cover himself in glory either.

Not our biggest problem. The other 3 aren't better. He makes the odd mistake but has been decent recently til last night

His own goal in Moscow? You’re winding me up mate. He’s had countless gaffs since then, obviously people tend to forget any that don’t result in a goal, but even then you’ve got his suicidal pass that let the scum win the first OF game (ironic given the big argument for him is that he’s a better passer than Katic), or his defending at Pittodrie for both goals, or his pitiful attempt at a tackle in Rotterdam, and there’s more where that came from too. He’s played well since Christmas but still sold the jerseys again last night

You’re right though, there isn’t really any point of Gerrard changing his ways now and giving them all an equally fair bite at the cherry, the time to do that would have been before it cost us valuable points.
i had only thought back as far as say December time... those are all pretty valid mistakes, hold my hands up. I do feel though that he is probably still the best centre back we have that can play on that right hand side. also hard to say if we are missing Helander, who knows if the results would have been any different with him in the side, although he has his flaws too, mainly lack of pace.

The ‘forum’ may agree or otherwise, that’s not a factor in my thinking.

From my vantage point in the Broomie Rear, he seems positionally, organisationally and distribution wise our best CH.

He needs a settled partner. The constant chop-change benefits no-one.
I am in the Broomie rear as well I must have a better view than you.

Time and time again there are silly mistakes. Katic, Helander, Edmundson all chop and change to accommodate him, yet he's the one mainstay.
For him to let that wee phud Brophy in so easily for that winner last night was disgraceful, proper amateur stuff over and over from him. Knowing he won't be dropped doesn't give him a spur to improve or cut out the mistakes.

Absolute claptrap.
Apart from the goal.
Are you seriously blaming a player for the individual mistakes of others?

He’s our best Centre Half and one of a very small band who gives us 7 out of 10 most weeks, Celtic have about 6 or 7 players they’ll get a consistent 7 out of 10 from against the jobbers, that’s the main difference

Katic makes far more mistakes than Goldson.
Goldson has been brilliant, he wont be perfect hence the reason he plays in Scotland.
If you think he'd shite and should be dropped then you don't know much about football.

Katic has a goal scoring mistake in him every week regardless of what the fan boys on here think.

Goldson was caught out last night because he is expecting Katic if he has taken the decision to go chasing a ball in a nothing area he must be going to win it.

That is Katic’s Problem he doesn’t need to try and win every ball and leave the defence exposed.

I don’t know what Katic was doing at the first goal either

We have four (by spfl standards) very good centre half's. Any club up here would bite the hand off for any of them at a fair price, and I include the mhanks in that. The issue is that at the end of the day, they're still only 4/5/6 million pound players, which in todays market doesn't get you Puyol or Ramos. We need to accept that they will have howlers and all have their own deficiencies. Katic is rash and raw, Helander has a tremendous footballing brain but is as slow as my gran, edmundson is simply a very promising young athlete who needs to learn and develop, and as for Goldson well he just seems to be prone to a brainfart. Bottom line is, if we were putting the ball in the back of the net and exerting enough influence in midfield, we'd be out of sight most of the time and wouldn't be putting our defence under constant pressure. The problem lies from midfield forward.

Best player since the winter break.

He made a mistake last night but he's head and shoulders above the other 3.

Tbf Goldson is the best out the 4. Imo our defenders aren’t clever enough when it comes to taking a booking for the team. At the other end of the park against anyone, morelos gets by 1, he’s either getting tripped up by the one he’s just went by or the 2nd one is taking him out. We are too nice.

could probably say the midfields the same bar Jack. Now I’m not saying McCrorie is the answer, let me just say that first but in some games away from home, like last night and Tynecastle sometimes you need a guy in there that will run all day and win his 50/50 battles in the middle of the park. It’s not pretty but this leagues full of hammer throwers and when you’ve got half a team of lightweights it shows.

Katic has a goal scoring mistake in him every week regardless of what the fan boys on here think.

Goldson was caught out last night because he is expecting Katic if he has taken the decision to go chasing a ball in a nothing area he must be going to win it.

That is Katic’s Problem he doesn’t need to try and win every ball and leave the defence exposed.

Bollocks. The flip side of that is goals like last nights and Rotterdam imply Goldson often feels no tackle at all is necessary. Sadly it costs us valuable points. But sweep sweep

Yet again another clueless poster starting threads they know nothing about.

Empty vessels really do make the most noise.

Agree with you, albeit I’d say he’s played really well for maybe 2 months plus imo.

Agree with you, albeit I’d say he’s played really well for maybe 2 months plus imo.

Oh no you’re absolutely right. For my money Goldson has been our best player so far in 2020, I really like him. Just fed up of the selective memories and vision people seem to suffer whenever he messes up, which is far more regularly than they imply. But if Katic stands a ball hair too deep or fluffs a pass these guys are suddenly eagle eyed and chomping at the bit to criticise.

Katic is by far better than Goldson and scores goals too. Goldson's control with the ball at feet is shocking and looks like he will fall over the ball at times. I'd rather Katic and Helander at CB.

Wow what a strange and mistaken judgement that would be for any footballer to make .

Oh no you’re absolutely right. For my money Goldson has been our best player so far in 2020, I really like him. Just fed up of the selective memories and vision people seem to suffer whenever he messes up, which is far more regularly than they imply. But if Katic stands a ball hair too deep or fluffs a pass these guys are suddenly eagle eyed and chomping at the bit to criticise.

Absolutely agree DZ. For my money he’s been our best player in the last two months but he doesn’t get judged to the same standards as other defenders, which I don’t get. But that second goal & his slip at Tynecastle just can’t be ignored. They happened.

Im sure I’ll be called a Niko fanboy now:D:D

Goldsons been an accident waiting to happen since he was signed.
Not the best centre half we have , Katic is a must for me., better football player and defender.

Goldson is a massive upgrade on Wilson or Kiernan. That's about all I can say, unfortunately

Absolute fucking nonsense. Katic makes a goalscoring mistake every game!

As far as going to challenge for the ball, as soon as he goes, his partner HAS to anticipate that he might not win it, given that no player in history has won every aerial duel.

Dropping Goldson isn't going to solve anything.

We need to have a centre half pairing that we actually stick with, maybe Goldson struggles because his centre half partner is constantly being changed

Katic and Edmundson have a poor game, benched.
Goldson has a poor game he's called the vice captain. The 5 touches he takes before releasing the ball needs to stop.

I am glad somebody else sees that, I have argued the same point with other people.

Katic and Edmundson have a poor game, benched.
Goldson has a poor game he's called the vice captain. The 5 touches he takes before releasing the ball needs to stop.
He was nearly caught out twice waiting too long and then trying to to turn back to McGregor. Lucky both times that he got away with it.

He's our best ch and all 3 of them have made mistakes in the last 3 matches. People really seem to have a problem with Goldson though and cant wait for any little tiny thing to tear him to shreds over :rolleyes:
It's all down to which players you fancy and those you don't. I've never taken to Goldson or Kent so naturally I'm inclined to be a bit harsher than I am on Alfie or Jack for talkings sake.
Goldson is the most consistent of our CB's but is a consistent 7/10.
Not good enough in the long term.

We conceded 50 league goals in the season before Goldson arrived. We have conceded on average 0.68 goals per game in the league since.

I’ve only just plucked up the courage to watch the second goal again. Goldson has arguably been our best player since the break but that was truly horrendous.

Even at schoolboy level you do not let that ball bounce

None of our CBs are top level. But they are more than adequate and have proved good enough to beat the scum, as well as some big names in Europe.

The fact that they are not EPL level means they will make mistakes. That's just the facts of life. As a team, we should do more to protect them and also do more to find out a way to score goals so that these guys can get away with the odd mistake. The TEAM is at fault. Let's be honest.

Also, the goal Goldson 'lost' this week was partly Katic's fault. If he wins the ball, Goldson isn't even exposed?

Back