Goldson, when does the experiment finish?

tapofthehilltrueblue2

Time and time again there are silly mistakes. Katic, Helander, Edmundson all chop and change to accommodate him, yet he's the one mainstay.
For him to let that wee phud Brophy in so easily for that winner last night was disgraceful, proper amateur stuff over and over from him. Knowing he won't be dropped doesn't give him a spur to improve or cut out the mistakes.

As long as SG continues with him then we will continue to struggle

He's our best ch and all 3 of them have made mistakes in the last 3 matches. People really seem to have a problem with Goldson though :rolleyes:

It’s not exactly a secret why that is. He’s some sort of teachers pet and the only centre half never to be pulled out after mistakes. To bad for Gerrard that stubbornness and favouritism like that will eventually cost him his job.

So OP, you’ll be fielding a CB pairing of Edmundson and who?
because Katic had a massive hand in the first goal and also goes half way towards the half way line to win a header which he loses and the flick on gets Brophy in.
So no Goldson, no Katic & Helander injured...

Time and time again there are silly mistakes. Katic, Helander, Edmundson all chop and change to accommodate him, yet he's the one mainstay.
For him to let that wee phud Brophy in so easily for that winner last night was disgraceful, proper amateur stuff over and over from him. Knowing he won't be dropped doesn't give him a spur to improve or cut out the mistakes.

What annoyed me was that it's not the first time he'll the ball drop over his head and then try to get it cleared.
Last night as the ball dropped over him, Brophy was a yard behind Goldson, yet he still caught him and finished it perfectly.
S.G.is quick enough to drop other players, but some others don't seem to come into that category.i.e.Goldson etc.and it's costing us big time.

He's by far our best centre half, but I've said it before, on astroturf he looks scared to move normally and it leads to him making mistakes.

Goldson and Helander when fit is our best pairing. If that's not good enough then we need a new face because the other two aren't better.

Goldson is our best defender

There are times he is doing the job of 2 defenders.

A partnership is always about bailing your partner out when it is 2 CH's, he never gets bailed out but is constantly Bailing out the other.

My problem with him is that he isn't a leader, we need a CH who can drag them through a game, his head goes first then the rest follows.

He can get exposed by pace but on the whole is our best centre half. Had to drop at that flick on yesterday to give himself a yard on Brophy, caught on his heels.

Up until last night we had the best defensive record in the league with goldson at the heart of our defence.

The question is valid. Why is Goldson never dropped, never rested. He is as fallible as the rest of them so deserves the same treatment.

He's our best centre half, dropping him is not going to make the defence better.
[/QUOTE
The only combo not tried is one without Goldson. Try it now the league`s away. We dont know if Edmundson and Katic can form a partnership, until they have some games together. Can`t be any worse than some of the comedy show goals we`re leaking at the minute.

It’s not exactly a secret why that is. He’s some sort of teachers pet and the only centre half never to be pulled out after mistakes. To bad for Gerrard that stubbornness and favouritism like that will eventually cost him his job.
There are too many players that are favourites and more or less undroppable. Aribo and Kent are two others. Last season it was Flanagan and Worrall.

There are too many players that are favourites and more or less undroppable. Aribo and Kent are two others. Last season it was Flanagan and Worrall.

Yeah I mean look at the thread and you’ll see a lot of fans buy into it to. Apparently we were beaten because Katic lost a header 50 yards up the pitch, not because Goldson was caught napping and wrong side and didn’t attempt to get a meaningful tackle or block in. Never the fault of the experienced pro, always the fault of the younger less experienced player, never the fault of teachers pet, who had similar gaffs before Christmas, all of which have been airbrushed out of existence too.

Based up dropping players for mistakes it will be Katic and Edmondson at the weekend.

Whilst he's been good lately that was a shocker last night. Beaten by Brophy who's not exactly lightning quick

So OP, you’ll be fielding a CB pairing of Edmundson and who?
because Katic had a massive hand in the first goal and also goes half way towards the half way line to win a header which he loses and the flick on gets Brophy in.
So no Goldson, no Katic & Helander injured...
So losing one header is a mistake? We better drop the whole team then. Goldson made the mistake and is nowhere near our best CH. Katic is the best defender we have but his build up play isn't great. We need a better CH than both and Helander isn't that man.

So losing one header is a mistake? We better drop the whole team then. Goldson made the mistake and is nowhere near our best CH. Katic is the best defender we have but his build up play isn't great. We need a better CH than both and Helander isn't that man.
First goal, Katic is 5 yards deeper than every other defender. The end result? O'Donnell and the big striker are both onside with the former being completely unmarked and given a tap in.

Losing the header isnt the mistake.

Taking the decision to go that far up the park and go for a header he was never winning is the mistake, especially on such a short park.

Both CHs were a shambles at that goal.

To be honest mate, at this point what do you think would happen if we played Edmunson and Katic for a game? No doubt we would want Goldaon back in. Aberdeen closed down Goldson when we played them which made us turn the ball to Katic. In doing so Katic's ability (or inability) to pass the ball was shown up. Apart from yesterday I cant really remember the last big mistake Goldson had made... last one I can remember is his own goal in Moscow last year.

Goldson is our best defender. However he should be treated like everyone else and dropped if necessary. I actually think he has been ok recently unfortunate that Helander got injured as I thought they had the makings of a decent partnership.

First goal, Katic is 5 yards deeper than every other defender. The end result? O'Donnell and the big striker are both onside wi
Surely if Katic is attacking the ball then Goldson has to organise the defence to suit. Goldson is almost on Arfields heels in the midfield.
sY7aFmM.jpg
Katic and Tavernier are in one line.

Even after we have 3 defenders and Goldson has a yard start on Brophy. Tell me how this is Katic's fault.

RIK2H83.jpg

Surely if Katic is attacking the ball then Goldson has to organise the defence to suit. Goldson is almost on Arfields heels in the midfield.
sY7aFmM.jpg
Katic and Tavernier are in one line.

Even after we have 3 defenders and Goldson has a yard start on Brophy. Tell me how this is Katic's fault.

RIK2H83.jpg

He said first goal.

It would be like when we had to do without Tav when he was recovering from his appendectomy, did we realise what a difference not having him would make? It would be the same without Goldson, no he’s not flawless. But how much would an upgrade cost, we have to take players with slightly raggy edges and try to coach the errors out of them. He’s the best CH at the club in this moment in time.

He’s so slow it’s unreal
Helander is even slower but he knows it and puts himself in positions to not get exploited

Goldson for some reason seems to think he’s quick enough to catch players in behind

Goldson is not the problem. We have a £7million player who is simply looking a £500,000 player.
His price tag will probably make him undropable.

Helander is our best centre half.

All our centre halves take way over the top criticism because our support love Katic and can’t see any (sometimes obvious) flaws in his game.

Katic shouldn't be stepping onto the striker in that scenario. If he steps back with Goldson as he should, that doesn't happen.

Katic has a real problem with that, he goes for every ball. It's cost us a few goals, but I do believe once he irons that out of his game he'll go from a good defender to a very good one.

I've never really got it with goldson,he's ok but I think we need better if we want to go to the next level,some decent games but some very poor games,move him on i say

Strange I can’t recall the cries for McGregor to be dropped after his howler against Hibs. Over the course of the season Goldson has, arguably, been our best player. Since we returned from the break he has been, undoubtedly, our best player. He made a mistake last night. There’s not a player in our team who hasn’t made a mistake at some point. Goldson makes fewer than any other of our centre-backs. That is why he hasn’t been dropped and that’s why McGregor wasn’t dropped.

Whats the experiment exactly?

He said first goal.
Then I have no idea what he means as the ball was played across the area and Katic was marking Kabamba when the Killie player hand balled the ball and it went out to the full-back who scuffed his shot to the scorer. katic was the only one who was marking a man the rest stood watching.

It’s amazing, if you go through last nights team, everyone of them gets the “Ive never rated him” from posters.
The next game a different player same poster.
Support never seems to be uttered for any player unless he’s 9 or above performance, then he has no option but to agree or not post.

Poor for the goal, no question but, he's easily our best CH. Defence isnt even close to being our problem right now mate.

When is the big Swede due back? I think it's time that we went with three at the back, 5 in midfield and two up front.

Use Tav and Barisic as out and out midfielders with some defensive responsibilities and have Jack in front of the Defence. Use Hagi and Aribo as creators and Alfie and Kent/Stewart/Defoe as forwards or sell Alfie and go with Defoe and Stewart.

My feeling is that Alfie is getting to be an expensive luxury which we can no longer afford.

Back