Goldson

GarryB

In my opinion and its only mine but i honestly think he needs benched . He puts the fear into not just me but everyone around him he is incapable of dealing with high balls dropped on top of him and this results in all around him being unsettled his distribution is shocking Edmundson should be given a start beside Katic

Goldson at times has looked every inch a Brighton defender. I think for the most part he has been solid but he has over excelled when you look closely at him.

Dominant enough in the air ? Debatable
A strong tackler ? Debatable
Does he read the game well ? Debatable
Can he pass out from the back ? Debatable
Is he the quickest ? Debatable
Is he flat footed and prone to mistakes ? Absolutely Debatable

Is he easily replaceable ? Absolutely

If the rumours of £8 million bids and serious interest from West Ham/EPL are true we should take it and go and buy two powerful no nonsense defenders who can win aerial battles and are strong in the tackle whilst having a good reading of the game if they are quick and can play out from the back that's a major bonus.

I would love two players in the mould of Cuellar and Bougherra in our defence.

Last edited:
I really don’t want to go into next season with him as one of our centre backs.

This is my worry, we stick with Gerrard. Give him 7-8 mil in the summer and we still have Goldson at the back.

He's piss poor and invites pressure on to us with nervy play constantly.

We will still be making the same mistakes next season as we have this and last, which will cost us dearly.

Goldson is one of the constants in our team week in week out, we swap his partner and ship him out when he makes a mistake but has no one ever wondered if it’s goldson the maybe isn’t as good surely every partner he’s had can’t be bad, maybe Edmundson/Hellander partership might work better I think both centrebacks in any team need to compliment each other but ours always look miles apart

It's clear that if Helander was fit him and Goldson would be playing week in week out. Helanders injury has had a bigger impact on our season than we envisaged at the time.

We suck at defending at the moment and it's not just Goldsons fault Katic had an absolute nightmare today for both goals

The crazy thing about the defence is we have conceded one more goal than them all season at 18 to their 17 it’s the goals for that’s the issue for me, we aren’t clinical enough in front of goal, we don’t put teams to the sword when we are on top and the goals aren’t spread around enough either.
They're spread around just not an any great amount.

How many goals have Forrest/McGregor scored compared to say Kent/Aribo/Arfield?

How anyone could watch today's game & then start a thread suggesting Goldson should be dropped with Katic retained is beyond me.

Spent a lot of today covering Katic's constant errors.

He was pretty rotten today but has been pretty solid recently. He's not brilliant & has his flaws but it benefits him when he has a competent partner next to him allowing him to focus on his own game

He's not strong enough mentally. I'm sure he was bought to lead but I'm afraid he needs a Richard Gough or Terry Butcher beside him. A good player, like Tavernier but need mentally stronger players around them who will drive them and the team on when the going gets tough. We don't have enough of these players at the minute.

He's not strong enough mentally. I'm sure he was bought to lead but I'm afraid he needs a Richard Gough or Terry Butcher beside him. A good player, like Tavernier but need mentally stronger players around them who will drive them and the team on when the going gets tough. We don't have enough of these players at the minute.
None of our players are strong enough mentally

After a decent wee spell he is back playing like a dumpling. One that I was criticising on nearly a weekly basis. Just doesn't look a natural centre back to me.

In my opinion and its only mine but i honestly think he needs benched . He puts the fear into not just me but everyone around him he is incapable of dealing with high balls dropped on top of him and this results in all around him being unsettled his distribution is shocking Edmundson should be given a start beside Katic

Katic shouldn’t be near the 1st team for a fair while before we even talk about goldson

He’s been one of the better performers since the winter break which shows how bad the rest have been playing. Him and Katic slowed the game down far too much today, was going tonto at him today when with about 20 secs of injury time left he decided to try and launch a 50 yards diagonal to Tavernier which went out for a throw in.

Goldson was good the other night I thought (as was Katic). Both were dreadful today.

Katic gets a harder time of it from the manager but truthfully Goldson went through a spell where he was awful for weeks and never got benched.

I really don’t want to go into next season with him as one of our centre backs.

The problem is mate, after recent weeks I am losing my faith in every one of the CDs.

As of tonight I think I’d keep Helander as number one for next season but secure a strong & pacy athlete for beside him.

Katic had an absolute disaster today & George has more to develop too.

He had a poor game, he’s still our best centre half.

If he could play totally error free like some on here expect then he would be nowhere near Rangers.

Do people realise we’ve only conceded one more goal than the tramps this season?

Reactions: dmg
Madness and i really question how the %^*& anyone can watch that and think Goldson needs dropped. No one is going to look good when their ch partner is booting the ball straight up in the air twice leading to both goals they scored.

Madness and i really question how the %^*& anyone can watch that and think Goldson needs dropped. No one is going to look good when their ch partner is booting the ball straight up in the air twice leading to both goals they scored.
I agree but I thought he was going to be the type of player who could keep Katic on the straight and narrow and get his head right after his first mistake today and do this on a regular basis with his defence. However, he is not that type of player which is what i'm disappointed in.

Really dont understand why CG gets such stick. Has a ropey game or so in him yes, just like very player. But he's not had an actual CB pairing in the last two years and on the whole has been really food for us at the back. The last of our problems at the moment. I can see now why the gaffer brought in Helander as two of them together work really well. Seems as though any players when they have a little form dip is deemed sh!t. Some of our support are mental.

Katic was 10 times worse than him today and to blame for both goals

I agree but I thought he was going to be the type of player who could keep Katic on the straight and narrow and get his head right after his first mistake today and do this on a regular basis with his defence. However, he is not that type of player which is what i'm disappointed in.
I like Goldson but that's one of his biggest weaknesses as a player. When someone makes a stupid mistake whether it's Katic, himself or any other defender he doesn't really sort everything out and the team are still prone to making more of them as the match goes on

Completely agree. Amazed to read on here when I came on after the match that our CHs were dreadful. Katic sold both goals. why is Goldson getting it in the neck?

He should have been dropped before, but now is not the time. Katic was horrendous today, and he should be dropped now. If Gerrard had managed his defenders properly we might not be in the position we are in now. He hung Katic our to dry earlier in the season and probs thought he couldn't do it again by hooking him early today when he should have. Wednesday should be Goldson and Edmundson.

Goldson at times has looked every inch a Brighton defender. I think for the most part he has been solid but he has over excelled when you look closely at him.

Dominant enough in the air ? Debatable
A strong tackler ? Debatable
Does he read the game well ? Debatable
Can he pass out from the back ? Debatable
Is he the quickest ? Debatable
Is he flat footed and prone to mistakes ? Absolutely Debatable

Is he easily replaceable ? Absolutely

If the rumours of £8 million bids and serious interest from West Ham/EPL are true we should take it and go and buy two powerful no nonsense defenders who can win aerial battles and are strong in the tackle whilst having a good reading of the game if they are quick and can play out from the back that's a major bonus.

I would love two players in the mould of Cuellar and Bougherra in our defence.
No EPL team would bid for him

You can't seriously be suggesting bombing Goldson out and letting Katic stay after today granted Goldson was far from good today but he is still the best of the 4 in my opinion

Although would any of them get into the scums team absolutely not which tells its own story it's something that needs addressed in the summer

He was absolutely dire, just like he was poor midweek barring one brilliant tackle near the end. But in spite of being one of our leaders (lol) and in his alleged prime he’s bullet proof to a whole lot of people who don’t want to admit he’s not quite what they thought he was.

Lucky for him his partner was much worse so he can escape any serious criticism again.

Id say defensive mistakes have cost us at least 13 points this season. Scum at Ibrox, Aberdeen at pittodrie, Hearts away after break, Killie the other mid week and today.

I’ve already said on another thread ... all of our centre half’s have weaknesses but I expect the senior partner to be a leader ... Goldson is not that and is far too hesitant ... like most players that come up from England he thinks he’s a ball player who can play in this league in his slippers .... we need better

He’s our best centre back, has been all season. I’m not saying he’s perfect but he’s the best of who we have.

The only players worse than him today were Morelos and Katic.

Goldson was 3/10, the other two were 1/10.

Both centre backs need dropped, but we only have 1 fit alternative so Goldson stays in by default.

Id say defensive mistakes have cost us at least 13 points this season. Scum at Ibrox, Aberdeen at pittodrie, Hearts away after break, Killie the other mid week and today.

Hearts at Tynecastle first match, Young Boys, Porto away, Hamilton, Hibs... A team prone to mistakes and errors.

There were other poor defensive moments at the start of the season that weren't punished. Kilmarnock on the first day of the season, Morais misses a sitter 85 minutes into the game at St. Mirren.

Back