Goldson

Numans_Left_Peg

Not normally a player to be highlighted, fair enough given he is not generally involved in the 'sèxy' part of the game.

The big man has had 3 partners (2 keepers) since pre-season and we have been watertight at the back.

Goals win games, defences win titles.

Few slack passes and can be caught doddling at times but praise where it is due.

He is, for me, our best CB and a leader back there.

Keep it up.

Not normally a player to be highlighted, fair enough given he is not generally involved in the 'sèxy' part of the game.

The big man has had 3 partners (2 keepers) since pre-season and we have been watertight at the back.

Few slack passes and can be caught doddling at times but praise where it is due.

Keep it up.
IMO hes the best defender in Scotland.

Keep it up.
He’s stepping up so far - long may it continue. We don’t look like conceding too many this season and if that’s the case a lot of that will be down to him.

Thought he was poor tonight and better side with any hint of attacking intent would have punished it.

If he sticks to defending he could be the best we have but when he has time to think he is dangerous.

He would be sensational if he stopped fucking about with the ball and giving it away so easily.

Twice he was caught out and it lead to dangerous attacks where he relied on his team mates bailing him out.

You can’t afford those errors in Europe or against Celtic.

He is a top defender when he’s fully concentrating.

Hes a good defender, but multiple times a game he loses concentration and passes the ball away under no pressure or gets caught out of position or in possession. Now i dont necessarily think hes to blame all the time, sometimes i think hes just carrying out Gerrards instructions but i do think he can improve. All of that said, we have the strongest collection of CBs i can remember since early this century and on his day hes arguably the best of them.

Been in good form

My biggest complaint with him is at least once in a game he has a total brain fart and tries to either be fancy or play a pass that’s never on.

Leverkusen away, does the hard part edge of our box then plays a ridiculous pass straight to their player almost resulting in a goal

Against St Mirren, no real pressure, loses it at our corner flag and allows them a chance

Tonight, no real pressure second half and is caught on the ball. Infact I vaguely recall him losing it twice tonight resulting in counters

If he cut the above out his game it’d be magic

It's a funny old game. Honestly don't get what folk see in Goldson. I don't trust him at all and think he's an accident waiting to happen.

Very solid defender, and about as good as we can afford, but let’s not kid ourselves he’s Baresi. His pace and mobility gets shown up when facing top class forwards and he’s prone to the odd gaff. Over the piece though he’s been a good acquisition for the club.

Was literally just writing this exact thread to counter some of the madness on here. I think he made 2 minor errors tonight but was excellent at running the defence, particularly playing with 2 partners.
He made 2 errors and 1 of the was major, Hellander saved him and if it was against a better player they would have scored.

It's a funny old game. Honestly don't get what folk see in Goldson. I don't trust him at all and think he's an accident waiting to happen.

My thoughts exactly, the guy has sold the jerseys on numerous occasions and we were lucky not to concede because of him last night too.

He’s had a good start to the season. As has Balogun, Helander when called upon and Edmundson during pre-season.

Barring the Leverkusen game, these guys have pretty much strolled it and had a walk in the park - which is testament to the often unnoticed protection that Jack/Kamara are providing (whilst still allowing Barisic and Tav to attack)

Started really well bar a few mistakes that is cb partner got him out of. Few excellent long range passes aswell

He is a solid defender and the 1st centre back on the team sheet for me.

Some slack silly passes at times but people would rather slate him for a wee lapse in concentration now and again rather than praise him for the big rock at the heart of our defence that he is.

The stick he gets at times is unbelievable from our support.

Keep it up.
Not trawled the whole thread but I love the big fella.

One issue for me is the amount of times he slips is quite alarming for me.

He had a couple last night, he slipped at Tynecastle and Fir Park last season, both times led to goals.

Sort yer boots out Connor!

Outstanding defender though.

He’s started well this season but I would still say Helander is our best CB.
I think that will prove to be Balogun. Good on the ball, more pace, aggressive, attacks the ball, doesn’t appear to make many errors. But early days.

Hes a good defender, but multiple times a game he loses concentration and passes the ball away under no pressure or gets caught out of position or in possession. Now i dont necessarily think hes to blame all the time, sometimes i think hes just carrying out Gerrards instructions but i do think he can improve. All of that said, we have the strongest collection of CBs i can remember since early this century and on his day hes arguably the best of them.

Being honest, that's a lot of shite.

He’s our best CB by a good bit the gaffer doesn’t pick him every week for no reason.
I don’t think any of our CBs are the best “by a good bit”. Would be disrespectful to the others.

I think Balogun will prove to be the best. Goldson and Helander are both decent with some obvious concerns, slackness/errors and a lack of pace respectively. But we are very strong in that area (at Scottish level) and whoever people prefer, there isn’t a huge amount between them.

Thats without even getting into Edmundson and Katie.

Being honest, that's a lot of shite.

Okay last night he was caught in possession under no pressure and robbed by the St Johnstone player. Gave the ball away twice under no pressure by passing straight to St Johnstone players and was out of position when Balogen got turned inside out. Thats off the top of my head btw. Its a constructive criticism mate, but its definitely accurate. Tons of proof out there if i honestly need to go through it.

Certainly been underappreciated by a section of our support.

He's not the 'perfect' centre half - that would cost tens if millions - and even then look at Harry McGuire!! But he is great for us.

Yes, he has the odd lapse in concentration - who doesn't?! - but his consistency levels are generally excellent.

Rangers centre back pairings. Goldson and one other.

A statement the Manager makes in his team selections every game.

Great start to the season by Goldson. Long may it continue.

The manager doesn’t just play him every single match out of stubbornness. Madness some of the stick he gets. Definitely the main man at centre half for us.

Stubbornness was definitely the only thing stopping him from getting dropped last season, especially given how often the other centre half got chopped and changed.

Back