Goldson

He’s really kicked on. There was a period where he could have had no arguments if he was dropped, but what a turn around. A real asset.

Best centre-half we've had in decades. I wouldn't take Cuellar, Boumsong or Bougherra over him. He has everything to his game as the modern day defender. Amazing some can't see it.

Goldson / Balogun look to be the league's best central defence by a mile.

I like big Goldson and the fact that he seems to get the Club and us is pleasing to see.

Okay last night he was caught in possession under no pressure and robbed by the St Johnstone player. Gave the ball away twice under no pressure by passing straight to St Johnstone players and was out of position when Balogen got turned inside out. Thats off the top of my head btw. Its a constructive criticism mate, but its definitely accurate. Tons of proof out there if i honestly need to go through it.
He wasn't out of position when Balogen was caught. Also, passing to the opposition players is something that happens in every game to every player, especially when looking to avoid always going for the easy option.

Not normally a player to be highlighted, fair enough given he is not generally involved in the 'sèxy' part of the game.

The big man has had 3 partners (2 keepers) since pre-season and we have been watertight at the back.

Goals win games, defences win titles.

Few slack passes and can be caught doddling at times but praise where it is due.

He is, for me, our best CB and a leader back there.

Keep it up.
Agree, for me he's shown the most improvement so far this season. Maybe because he has confidence Balogun beside him. Should be a fairly tight defensive wall going forward this season with the two of them regular

Best centre-half we've had in decades. I wouldn't take Cuellar, Boumsong or Bougherra over him. He has everything to his game as the modern day defender. Amazing some can't see it.
Mate I know you love to be positive (that’s fine, nothing wrong with that) but this is a bit OTT. Still has a lot to prove before he can be considered as better than the names you mentioned.

Hes a decent defender, but too often he goes long with his passing and his long balls are often absolutely dreadful

Yip but please stop crossing the half way line Connor and having nose bleeds or passing it to the opposition.

Caught wanting a few times thinking he’s playing five a side football.

Goldson quite rightly is the first choice IMO. Great 'problem' to have in deciding who's best to partner him

Being honest, that's a lot of shite.

He certainly doesn’t do it multiple teams per game but he does it a lot more than the “you don’t know anything about fitbaw” brigade would care to admit.

Incidents like last night do occur too often for my liking but, aside from that he’s started well and long may it continue.

Last edited:

I know it’s the type of basic thing that is done at any level but it’s great to see him push the lads in in this vid, soon as Borna scores he’s after another one

Love when we score , big Goldson doesn’t even celebrate with who ever scores he is always straight to the advertising boards giving it large with the fans and going mental , fucking love it

He is a solid defender and the 1st centre back on the team sheet for me.

Some slack silly passes at times but people would rather slate him for a wee lapse in concentration now and again rather than praise him for the big rock at the heart of our defence that he is.

The stick he gets at times is unbelievable from our support.
Richard Gough had plenty of slack passes in his game as well btw.

I’m not his biggest fan but he’s had an absolutely cracking start to the season.

Looks much better with Balogun next to him.

He would instantly go up a few levels if he stopped taking the ball on a tour then falling over it. Not even that it's taking too long on the ball then playing himself into bother

It's not even needed.

He's been excellent so far this season. Still prone to the odd moment of madness, but they seem to be getting less frequent

He’s an excellent defender and the stick he gets on here sometimes is well over the top. That said, every other player gets it when they misplace a pass too so the knee jerk criticism response is not just applied to Goldson. We’re too quick to criticise.

As well as being a fine defender Goldson, for me, offers great leadership in defence. He’s clearly in charge of that department, very vocal and the defender that others look to for organisation. He’d be a first pick in the team for me too, Gerrard is spot on in consistently playing him. The fact we now have quality options alongside him in Balogun and Helander is great.

Helander has done nothing in a Rangers shirt to prove he’s a better player than Goldson.
There is no doubt he has the cv.
It’s a bit like saying Roofe is better than Morelos.

He wasn't out of position when Balogen was caught. Also, passing to the opposition players is something that happens in every game to every player, especially when looking to avoid always going for the easy option.
Thats a great point.
A lot of talk about being brave doesn’t apply to Goldson.

Okay last night he was caught in possession under no pressure and robbed by the St Johnstone player. Gave the ball away twice under no pressure by passing straight to St Johnstone players and was out of position when Balogen got turned inside out. Thats off the top of my head btw. Its a constructive criticism mate, but its definitely accurate. Tons of proof out there if i honestly need to go through it.
What position was he meant to be in?

What position was he meant to be in?

At least 10yrds closer to Balogun, but listen if you dont like that example what about when hes caught up the pitch and Helander has to make a last ditch tackle? Il go through the game and find more if you like. Honestly some people literally wont hear any criticism of this guy, even though i was generally positive about him

At least 10yrds closer to Balogun, but listen if you dont like that example what about when hes caught up the pitch and Helander has to make a last ditch tackle? Il go through the game and find more if you like. Honestly some people literally wont hear any criticism of this guy, even though i was generally positive about him
What was he doing “up the pitch”?
Loitering?
Was he, had he been part of an attacking move?
Is he meant to always be a certain distance from the other centre back?
I’ll listen to, and accept, criticism when it’s justified but not when it’s simply citing an example of the opposition having a chance and looking back to find somebody to blame.
For example, the break on Balogun came on the ground and through the middle.
Are our defensive midfielders not supposed to be the protection here?
If I recall this properly, the break was caused by a loose pass by us, possibly Morelos?
Where is the blame for him?
Goldson, and Tavernier for that matter will make mistakes but, to my mind, there seems to be an element of our support who look for confirmation bias.
There’s been a chance conceded, let’s look for where my aforementioned two can be blamed and stop there.
Others make mistakes but don’t get the same scrutiny.
An example of this on Sunday was was a mistake Barisic made that had me thinking ”if that had been Tavernier, there‘d have been a dozen I wank dugs posts within twenty seconds”.
I actually considered posting it sarcastically myself.
That some get away with it whilst others don’t will always be evident.
It’s always been thus.
Despite this, I just find it difficult accepting it without arguing back.

What was he doing “up the pitch”?
Loitering?
Was he, had he been part of an attacking move?
Is he meant to always be a certain distance from the other centre back?
I’ll listen to, and accept, criticism when it’s justified but not when it’s simply citing an example of the opposition having a chance and looking back to find somebody to blame.
For example, the break on Balogun came on the ground and through the middle.
Are our defensive midfielders not supposed to be the protection here?
If I recall this properly, the break was caused by a loose pass by us, possibly Morelos?
Where is the blame for him?
Goldson, and Tavernier for that matter will make mistakes but, to my mind, there seems to be an element of our support who look for confirmation bias.
There’s been a chance conceded, let’s look for where my aforementioned two can be blamed and stop there.
Others make mistakes but don’t get the same scrutiny.
An example of this on Sunday was was a mistake Barisic made that had me thinking ”if that had been Tavernier, there‘d have been a dozen I wank dugs posts within twenty seconds”.
I actually considered posting it sarcastically myself.
That some get away with it whilst others don’t will always be evident.
It’s always been thus.
Despite this, I just find it difficult accepting it without arguing back.
Goes both ways, someone arguing with me on the previous game Balogun was at fault for having to make a covering tackle after Goldson failed to deal with a ball that came directly through him.

Not disputing the overall point of your post.

Just saying that some will see no wrong in their favourites, but our favourites all differ.

(I understand why Barisic would get a free pass there. His overall contribution is excellent.)

Did anyone criticising him ever see the massive howlers butcher, gough and Lorenzo made?

Goes both ways, someone arguing with me on the previous game Balogun was at fault for having to make a covering tackle after Goldson failed to deal with a ball that came directly through him.

Not disputing the overall point of your post.

Just saying that some will see no wrong in their favourites, but our favourites all differ.

(I understand why Barisic would get a free pass there. His overall contribution is excellent.)
Correct.
Some seem to forget it’s a ream effort.
That mistakes will happen.

Back