Goldson

We have 4 capable centre halfs. After that performance today someone else should be given a chance. Otherwise it sends a poor message to the squad.
Katic or Edmundson makes that mistake, or the one against Hamilton last season they are dropped.

Thought Helander was at fault today; not Goldson

I thought they were both less than acceptable

I posted at half time on the match thread that they're not 'in sync' with each other & struggle to cover gaps, keep shape or stay in position

What I'm unable to fathom out is if Helander or Goldson is most at fault
Maybe the problem is the partnership ?

To be honest though - there were times when Goldson threw Katic under a bus imo (not just the other way round)

So despite Goldson being a good performer most of the time - he can be at fault for some basic simple errors- like today

No. It was a question.
It's the sort of reaction that a Celtic supporter might have.
For the first time this season we have conceded. Your solution? Criticise and blame the defence.
Not sure if you are aware, but most goals conceded in football throughout the world are the fault of the defence.
You want to drop our captain, and best centre half. Either you don't know too much or are a celtoc fan revelling in the dropped points.
Regardless, "drop tav and CG". !!!!! Idiocy of the highest order. Before you get back to me, perhaps you could furnish us with alternatives.
You are allowed to criticise the team pal .

Still doesn’t matter he was out jumped ffs.Size of him and he’s out jumped.
I
No. It was a question.
It's the sort of reaction that a Celtic supporter might have.
For the first time this season we have conceded. Your solution? Criticise and blame the defence.
Not sure if you are aware, but most goals conceded in football throughout the world are the fault of the defence.
You want to drop our captain, and best centre half. Either you don't know too much or are a celtoc fan revelling in the dropped points.
Regardless, "drop tav and CG". !!!!! Idiocy of the highest order. Before you get back to me, perhaps you could furnish us with alternatives.
To be fair the keepers had two tremendous saves as well or they could have had four today

We all know Helander will now drop out for next week, same with McLaughlin moving to the bench.

For me, Davis and Hagi need to sit on the bench.

We won’t win a league with Connor Goldson playing every week. Unfortunately he’s too inconsistent...his biggest fault is he thinks he’s a player.

The team as a whole wasn’t good first half but we up the anti 2nd half & get our noses in front. He then gifts them a goal with an attempted flick pass when he should just clear his lines. Leader my backside. I watched his performance away in Moscow a few seasons back & his display that night was Saturday morning league standard.

He won’t be dropped under Gerrard though so we are wasting our time discussion him.

The only shinning light for me is Celtic are worse again this year under Lennon & I just hope they can drop more points than Connor Goldson does for us.

Goldson has previous for having lengthy spells where he’s excellent and then seems to have two or three bad games in a row.
Provided today is a one off we’ll be fine but if the same pattern develops from the past couple of seasons it’ll cost us- more so if the whole team are under performing at the same time.

And being honest the whole back four were dreadful today.
The midfield deeper duo of Davis and Kamara not any better.

Reactions: dmg
Fucksake last week we had a thread about when england are going to pick him

now a thread like this this week

he had a bad game and has done a few times admittedly

I made a thread on him and tav about how they’re proving me wrong and then just like that they spit it right back in my face. Don’t get me wrong the full back 4 were lacking today but they 2 especially the second half it was SORELY lacking
It was never the time to get the bunting out about how well our defence was doing against no press and one up front.

He's guaranteed to cost us 4-5 important goals every season. Same with Tav. But people seem happy with that for some reason. Great captain and vice captain material

Goldson. admittedly had a mare today and when that happens, you hope the forwards will bale him out and win us the game. It was fail, fail today, and in all honesty a draw at Easter Road isn’t the worst result. We move on, copyright M. Warburton

Didn't Gerrard say there was going to be more squad rotation this season, Hopefully that means Goldson doesn't end up playing 60 odd games this season

A liability. It's bizarre why he is so highly rated and seemingly undroppable.

Perhaps it's the fact it's been between him and Kent as our standout players thus far??

None of the defence covered themselves in glory today but hopefully it's a one off.

Goldson is a cracking defender. Our best.

He has found himself in an unstoppable position.

He is still our best defender, but had a shocking game.

For me Goldson is like a bird that keeps cheating on you and you keep going back. When times are good and all that then you forget everything they did before. But sooner or later they'll do the dirty. And yet Gerrard keeps going back to him. How many times over the last 3 years have we tried someone at the back other than Goldson? He's always in that RCB spot. It's only ever Katic, Helander or Fridge that get rotated in and out, either through injury or errors.

Helander was at fault for their second. The right side of the defence was a all over the place in the second half.

You’re joking right? Helander had to keep his line and so had a standing jump against someone who had to run towards the ball, this had momentum

Blaming Helander for their second is absurd

Last edited by a moderator:
Goldson has previous for having lengthy spells where he’s excellent and then seems to have two or three bad games in a row.
Provided today is a one off we’ll be fine but if the same pattern develops from the past couple of seasons it’ll cost us- more so if the whole team are under performing at the same time.

And being honest the whole back four were dreadful today.
The midfield deeper duo of Davis and Kamara not any better.
I wonder if his bad games occur when Jack isn't sitting in front of him.

Reactions: dmg
You’re joking right? Helander had to keep his line and so had a standing jump against someone who had to run towards the bell, this had momentum

Blaming Helander for their second is absurd
Ha ha certainly not helanders fault anyone that's played any level of football would know this

Got to laugh at people saying he’s too inconsistent when he’s literally just contributed to setting a British clean sheets record.

It was poor from Goldson and whether you like it or not, he’ll be under more scrutiny as he’s one of Gerrard’s ‘undroppables’ irrespective of performance.

I thought Goldson was fine, if anyone deserves criticism for their defending yesterday it's Barisic. But he's been so good in other aspects he's earned a bit of leeway.

Hes been in fine form so far this season and he has a brain fart moment for 25 minutes yesterday resulting in the goal and a couple of other shaky moments.

He's been our best central defender this season. We move on and hope that this doesnt happen again.

My issues with Goldson are similar to the ones I had with Amoruso.

He's had enough errors now (the foul where he had no need to dive in in the 1st OF game last season, gave away a free kick and we conceded from it and then an indentical incident in the LCF are two prime examples) for people to question whether it's just now part of his game and he can't cut it out.

The difference with Amo is he also led the team trophies, played in treble winning teams and scored cup winning goals.

Until Goldson proves everyone otherwise, he's going to get heavy criticism when his mistakes lead to goals.

He wasn't the only one yesterday but he's meant to be the leader in there.

The full backs struggled yesterday too. Goldson having another brain fart sets the whole move in motion for their 2nd though.

I can't see me ever taking to him fully. Only shiny silver things would change my mind. Onus is on him to make that happen as one of Gerrard's leaders.

Last edited:
Back