Goldson

Found it ridiculous too that Goldson suddenly became better than Weir on here because he's more cultured and can ping a cross field pass.

Just the three titles, x3 Scottish Cups, x3 League Cups and run to the UEFA Cup final for Weir.

It's a weird one to compare as they're very different defenders in a way, but if I'm asked to take one at their peak going into an Old Firm game tomorrow, it would be Weir every time.
The guy who wins trophies even in the twilight of his career is the correct answer

Or... it was just genuinely shite defending by Goldson.

Wright should have shut the cross down, but I mean, Scott Wright vs Filip Kostic. A lad struggling at Dundee a few seasons ago vs one of the most in-form wingers on the planet. Of course he might lose his duels there at times.

Connor Goldson should absolutely be held to a higher standard. He wants to be the highest earner at the club and is our de facto leader. A bit of play like that comes in and he just... switches off. Likewise when he was lucky not to give a penalty because he went in on Borre. The frustration lies in the fact it isn't the first time he's done that.

No one, or at least I'm not, is scapgoating him. It's just pointing out that he isn't irreplaceable and continues to make errors in high level games.
Not even worth getting into it with Mr Contrarian there, only thing that matters to him is going against the grain for attention. It was a dreadful misjudgment and an extremely costly one, not only did the experienced vice captain make a complete arse of it, but he tried to blame the 22 year old rising star who absolutely 100% outperformed him.

What’s that based on though?

Weir at the absolute tail end of his career was much more dependable than Goldson. By the time he came here Weir had already amassed over 200 games for a Premier League side, Goldson will be lucky if he ever gets near that. Furthermore, Goldson is far more likely to cost you points with a clanger than Weir ever was, big part of the reason one lifted countless trophies and the other hasn’t. Often find myself agreeing with you on here but that’s a strange take if ever I saw one.

Just personal opinion really. I'd take the Goldson of last season over the Weir we had. Weir was blessed with having the likes of Cuellar beside him, Goldson's never had a solid partner really.

I know it's not really comparing like for like as Weir came to us at the tail end of his career though. Like Tav, I reckon a lot of fans will only realise how good Goldson was for us after he's gone.

Yeah that might be true if a lot of the damage wasn’t already done by the time his performances picked up again. Sadly that’s how it happened.

The big collapse came post break ,Goldson was playing well at that time....

The big collapse came post break ,Goldson was playing well at that time....
Really? We pissed several points away pre-winter break that meant we only had a small cushion over a Celtic side that had a catastrophic start to the season the likes of which I’d never seen in my lifetime, so thats just not true. Had we shown a decent level of competence then even our dreadful form post January would have still been enough to see us over the line, that’s what makes this title loss so embarrassing and hard to forgive. Add to that the fact Goldson was terrible against Malmö too where we threw away any chance of that CL money.

Anyway, he’s not being “scapegoated”, Ramsey and Kent are taking as much of the blame too, the former even more so.

I agree with this. I loved Weir but there were times we had to set up to cover his complete lack of pace and it just made us too defensive. There's no way we could've set up with 3v3 against Leipzig if Weir (during his time with us) had been in central defence up against a player like Nkunku.

I remember Weir getting turned for pace against Hooper (I think?), who gave him a 10 yard head start and Weir still lost the foot race. We always sat far too deep with Weir.

Found it ridiculous too that Goldson suddenly became better than Weir on here because he's more cultured and can ping a cross field pass.

Just the three titles, x3 Scottish Cups, x3 League Cups and run to the UEFA Cup final for Weir.

It's a weird one to compare as they're very different defenders in a way, but if I'm asked to take one at their peak going into an Old Firm game tomorrow, it would be Weir every time.

Comparing different eras as well. We had a very strong Rangers team back then whereas Goldson came to the club when we were in a transitioning period of Celtic dominating for so long.

Or... it was just genuinely shite defending by Goldson.

Wright should have shut the cross down, but I mean, Scott Wright vs Filip Kostic. A lad struggling at Dundee a few seasons ago vs one of the most in-form wingers on the planet. Of course he might lose his duels there at times.

Connor Goldson should absolutely be held to a higher standard. He wants to be the highest earner at the club and is our de facto leader. A bit of play like that comes in and he just... switches off. Likewise when he was lucky not to give a penalty because he went in on Borre. The frustration lies in the fact it isn't the first time he's done that.

No one, or at least I'm not, is scapgoating him. It's just pointing out that he isn't irreplaceable and continues to make errors in high level games.

The reality is though at the level we've been able to buy at we aren't really getting that level of consistency and the worry is that when we go to replace we will be struggling to get someone just as good as Goldson.
I'd argue Helander is arguably more dependable but isn't as dynamic as Goldson at his best -and of course there is the consistency of fitness of CG. Helander cost £3.5M and actually might be argued to be a bargain considering he came from Italy and was an internationalist.

And your other point might well be used to justify the "mistake" from CG that a whipped ball in of that quality might catch you out-you'd think reading the reaction to it it was a slow pop across goal he mistimed-at this level half a yard out of position against that quality of ball will leave you flat footed.

It is what it is, a player who clearly indicates he doesn't want to stay on at Rangers is always going to be in the spotlight more that's just reality at our club.

Just personal opinion really. I'd take the Goldson of last season over the Weir we had. Weir was blessed with having the likes of Cuellar beside him, Goldson's never had a solid partner really.

I know it's not really comparing like for like as Weir came to us at the tail end of his career though. Like Tav, I reckon a lot of fans will only realise how good Goldson was for us after he's gone.
Fair enough. But yeah I couldn’t agree at all, I think that other centre halfs were never better than when Weir was alongside them, it wasn’t the other way round, I mean how did Cuellar’s career go once he left Weir’s side? He wasn’t exactly a world beater post Rangers was he. Weir even had an 18 year old Danny Wilson looking like a player who could go to the top. I’d be much more confident going into a big must win game with David Weir at the heart of my defence than I would with Goldson, and I personally feel like there’s enough evidence from their respective Rangers careers to justify that feeling. I don’t really think this Rangers team have any irreplaceable players who we’ll be longing for after they’re gone, and that’s largely due to the fact that they just haven’t delivered anywhere near enough silverware.

Helander and Balogun aren’t diddies either, they’re good defenders. Helander for my money is a better defender than Goldson and the best in Scotland when he’s not injured. So I can accept that it wasn’t ideal for Goldson when he was bouncing back and forward between partnering Katic and Worrall, but apart from that he’s had solid partners.

The reality is though at the level we've been able to buy at we aren't really getting that level of consistency and the worry is that when we go to replace we will be struggling to get someone just as good as Goldson.
I'd argue Helander is arguably more dependable but isn't as dynamic as Goldson at his best -and of course there is the consistency of fitness of CG. Helander cost £3.5M and actually might be argued to be a bargain considering he came from Italy and was an internationalist.

And your other point might well be used to justify the "mistake" from CG that a whipped ball in of that quality might catch you out-you'd think reading the reaction to it it was a slow pop across goal he mistimed-at this level half a yard out of position against that quality of ball will leave you flat footed.

It is what it is, a player who clearly indicates he doesn't want to stay on at Rangers is always going to be in the spotlight more that's just reality at our club.

For me, Tav and Goldson have been whipping boys for years. Even if they'd lifted the Europa League the other night you'd still get posters saying they're not leaders amongst other shite.

Really? We pissed several points away pre-winter break that meant we only had a small cushion over a Celtic side that had a catastrophic start to the season the likes of which I’d never seen in my lifetime, so thats just not true. Had we shown a decent level of competence then even our dreadful form post January would have still been enough to see us over the line, that’s what makes this title loss so embarrassing and hard to forgive. Add to that the fact Goldson was terrible against Malmö too where we threw away any chance of that CL money.

Anyway, he’s not being “scapegoated”, Ramsey and Kent are taking as much of the blame too, the former even more so.

Yeah really we were still in a winning position the Ross County, Motherwell, Aberdeen and two Celtic losses sealed our fate. It is what it is-without him last season 55 would have been a lot harder-he needs to take the share of the blame for the collapse and the manager had a huge hand in that as well.

Scapegoats are pointless but I would argue Ramsey gets a disproportionate amount of defending on here in relation to what he has done in our jersey.

Yeah really we were still in a winning position the Ross County, Motherwell, Aberdeen and two Celtic losses sealed our fate. It is what it is-without him last season 55 would have been a lot harder-he needs to take the share of the blame for the collapse and the manager had a huge hand in that as well.

Scapegoats are pointless but I would argue Ramsey gets a disproportionate amount of defending on here in relation to what he has done in our jersey.
Goldson was my player of the season last year. He was a colossus and the most consistent performer across the entire season. But that’s not the Goldson I’ve seen this season, certainly not in the first half the season. If we hadn’t been so complacent before the winter break then we could have been out of sight akin to the previous season. But we were poor, and we got caught and we blew it and Goldson and his defensive cohorts were a big part of that.

For me, Tav and Goldson have been whipping boys for years. Even if they'd lifted the Europa League the other night you'd still get posters saying they're not leaders amongst other shite.

That's a strawman. Tav is nothing like Goldson. You don't replace a RB doing numbers like does easily. He has also proper came into his own as a Ranger and clearly wants to be here.

A CB liable to mistakes on the biggest stage? Different matter.

Then on the other side of the coin, they just brought in CCV who was probably their most influential player in terms of winning the league. We spent 3 mil on Goldson with a hefty wage; I just don't think it's a difficult position to replace with that kind of money to play with.

When Boumsong left I heard we would never replace him. Kyrgiakos came and done a job for a bit. Likewise, when Cuellar left, it was the end of the world. Bougherra came in and people were saying he was better.

It's not an easy player to replace, don't get me wrong, but talk of "irreplacable", "we won't find a better CB" etc. is just so blown out of proportion.

Just looking at some of the Europa League stats. Look how far out in front of everyone Goldson is in terms of ball recoveries and clearences

32891693ce4a4d2a87e6b3aa817bfbc8.png

Now obviously playing more matches thatn most teams affects the stat but he's still a clear outlier in terms of the numbers.

One of the most remarkable stats though is the number of fouls he gave away. Despite playing in 14 games he only gave away 8 fouls which means he's ranked 85th (i.e. 84 players gave away more fouls). That is really incredible, especially considering there were some away games where we were under the cosh for lengthy periods.

4106aa44e420ec00be9c6c347ea7ff3a.png

Last edited:
Haha! Goldson has certainly not been a calamity. He’s a been a good signing and he was a big step up with regards to what came before him. But he’s certainly no world beater and I’m not massively bothered about losing him because he’s always got a big gaff in him and many of those have proven costly; but all in all I just think he’s entirely replaceable. My only real concern is that the man who will be tasked with replacing him doesn’t seem to really do anything here rather than swagger around in front of the cameras every now and then.
Frankly, these are the words I’ve been too cowardly to post.

Just looking at some of the Europa League stats. Look how far out in front of everyone Goldson is in terms of ball recoveries and clearencies

32891693ce4a4d2a87e6b3aa817bfbc8.png

Now obviously playing more matches thatn most teams affects the stat but he's still a clear outlier in terms of the numbers.

One of the most remarkable stats though is the number of fouls he gave away. Despite playing in 14 games he only gave away 8 fouls which means he's ranked 85th (i.e. 84 players gave away more fouls). That is really incredible, especially considering there were some away games where we were under the cosh for lengthy periods.

4106aa44e420ec00be9c6c347ea7ff3a.png
This is the type of stuff I was alluding to earlier when I posted a balance had to be struck.
These are great stats but they don’t hide the fact that he’s been culpable for too many goals we’ve conceded this season in particular.
Too often though, there is a bigger whipping boy getting in the way of the rest of the truth.
McGregor has lost some shockers this season but, he’s been blamed for too many where others are at least as much at fault.

Just watched his inch perfect pass to tav for the equaliser in the semi final (game is on premier sports) . Well struggle to find someone who loves doing those long diagonal balls with such accuracy

Souttar did it against us and they should’ve scored iirc, on the 5-0 game maybe?

Early in game

Back