Goldson

Very hard to replace and I hope he gets a good send off today. But for guys like Goldson, the only way is down. He will never experience a club like ours ever again and deep down he knows it.

A different angle on things. A theory only, no inside knowledge. Goldson will have interest from several clubs, there is no doubt about that. Better clubs than Forest I’d warrant too. However, he hasn’t signed for anyone yet. There is no secret deal. To me that suggests he‘d like to stay. The stumbling block is that neither he, nor the Club, are prepared to shift on the figures they think he is worth. It’s as simple as that - a financial consideration and the players view of where he fits in the Rangers pay scale.

The figure he’s looking for might not even be as much as he’s been offered elsewhere - but it’s what he believes he’s worth to Rangers. We could argue about whether our personal view is that the Club should move towards Goldson’s figure or that he should concede and accept the Club’s offer but that’s the basic impasse. It’s not entirely about the top line, he just doesn’t think Rangers are offering him what he merits, in comparison to others, to stay at Ibrox. A matter of pride, perhaps?

A different angle on things. A theory only, no inside knowledge. Goldson will have interest from several clubs, there is no doubt about that. Better clubs than Forest I’d warrant too. However, he hasn’t signed for anyone yet. There is no secret deal. To me that suggests he‘d like to stay. The stumbling block is that neither he, nor the Club, are prepared to shift on the figures they think he is worth. It’s as simple as that - a financial consideration and the players view of where he fits in the Rangers pay scale.

The figure he’s looking for might not even be as much as he’s been offered elsewhere - but it’s what he believes he’s worth to Rangers. We could argue about whether our personal view is that the Club should move towards Goldson’s figure or that he should concede and accept the Club’s offer but that’s the basic impasse. It’s not entirely about the top line, he just doesn’t think Rangers are offering him what he merits, in comparison to others, to stay at Ibrox. A matter of pride, perhaps?
It might be about the length of contract. I've heard this before, so maybe there's something in it after all.

I feel this is something we need to move on from. We idolise these current crop of players like they are irreplaceable.

I’m guilty of it too.

They’ve managed to pick up one trophy (hopefully two by tomorrow) in 4 seasons. They are not irreplaceable. That lot have shown that you can bring in quality at a low price.

We’ve had the same group of players for years now it seems. I can’t wait for a refresh.
Exactly this. He will miss us more than we will
him. Particularly if we replace him and others that understand the importance of trophies .

First few years he was good but had errors in him, the loss that night against Hamilton at home i think a lot of fans were done with him and a number of others. He came back and had a unbelievable season for 55, this year its been hit and miss at points but more good than bad.

Wish him all the best.

There was talk of him wanting to be made highest earner beyond our wage structure, citing the reason that because he played so many games, he deserves it. It's ridiculous tbh.

Davie Weir played 66 games in a season at 38. Likewise Bougherra, even though he couldn't be arsed at times, was turning close to 40 and 50 appearances in in respective seasons. CCV was closing in on 50 for them this season.

Because we have signed two injury prone cb's (with another one incoming), the durability thing is played up. The club are correct to be judging his getting a new deal on ability rather than that factor.

He is good enough to stand still with.
You cant always get a better player than you have when you are shopping in the markets we are. I doubt you were happy when gazza, laudrup, ferguson the first time, cuellar etc all left because them staying would have been ‘standing still’. Not comparing Goldson’s ability to them but the idea that u should move on a brilliant player who is never injured and leads the team on the park because to not do so would be standing still is mental.

I've slated him in the past and he was at fault for Frankfurt's goal on Wednesday. However he's hardly missed a game for us in 4 years. I doubt we'll find another player who can play that many games and I hope we can persuade him to stay. If he does go though, he goes with my best wishes. Hopefully it's to someone better than Forest though.

I feel this is something we need to move on from. We idolise these current crop of players like they are irreplaceable.

I’m guilty of it too.

They’ve managed to pick up one trophy (hopefully two by tomorrow) in 4 seasons. They are not irreplaceable. That lot have shown that you can bring in quality at a low price.

We’ve had the same group of players for years now it seems. I can’t wait for a refresh.
While I agree with a lot of what you have said, the core of this lot were going through a complete rebuild under Gerrard vs a Celtic team with an excellent manager. They then won the league unbeaten and got us within a penalty kick of a European trophy. They should have won more medals but I think focusing on that does them a disservice.

I like Goldson, I like that he is seldom if ever injured and that he shows spirit and leadership.
Like most players he has flaws in his game.
My biggest concern is that the same “flaw” is repeated, as it was on Wednesday, and his reaction is usually to turn and point at the guy behind him.

If he wants to head south for family reasons or is after a big pay day who can blame him? - He’ll leave with best wishes.

Would I “break the bank” (or wage structure) to keep him? No.

I honestly think Forest is about his level. He's been great and had been relatively consistent.

If he goes, he's a big loss but isn't irreplaceable. I'll wish him well,and still hope he stays, but I'll forget all about him next year if he's playing for someone else.

Rumours doing the rounds that his destination is going to be Nottingham Forrest. Imagine it’s a big numbers contract that will set him up, can’t see the draw to go to them.
If that is true, he must be off his head. They will be cannon fodder in the epl next season.

If today’s is going to be his last game I hope he has a blinder.

I’d hate my last memory of him to be his error on Wednesday

You're wasting your time. If Connor Goldson in the last four years, bearing in mind what was before him, can't convince them he was a fine CB, then we on a forum won't do it.
Its knee jerk pish.

Ifs buts and maybes. But we win that penalty shoot out and the same guy saying hes pish has him as a legend.

I feel worse for him than Ramsay. It meant more to him. For 4 years hes been through everything with us. A cruel way to end it.

All the best to him wherever he ends up. Would be good to see him get a goal today but seeing him lift the cup will do

Its knee jerk pish.

Ifs buts and maybes. But we win that penalty shoot out and the same guy saying hes pish has him as a legend.

I feel worse for him than Ramsay. It meant more to him. For 4 years hes been through everything with us. A cruel way to end it.
Very cruel, and beyond doubt the lowest any of us have ever felt after a game.

People saying they are amazed he’s going to forest, where do you think he was going?

He’s not premiership level.
Where do you think Forest are going?

They'll be a Premier League club in a weeks time!

I'll trust you didn't see any of their FA Cup ties against Leicester, Arsenal or Liverpool.

Where do you think Forest are going?

They'll be a Premier League club in a weeks time!

I'll trust you didn't see any of their FA Cup ties against Leicester, Arsenal or Liverpool.
Yep I did and they might get there, did you see our performances v Dortmund Leipzig etc? And look where we finished in the league.
If you want to spit hairs he might get there with forest but they will be fighting for their lives. And a relegation battle championship is his level imo

If people would just engage some grey matter...

I give you Ajer of Brenntford, previously the rotten mob. Same with the bombscare that was big Duffy. There's your premiership level. Goldson is head and shoulders above them.
Duffy is nowhere to be seen, his good start soon fell away back to his level. I will give you ajer, quite surprised at his performances.

Goldson is definitely premier league level and I’m fairly certain he will end up with Gerrard at Villa.
His one weakness is his lack of concentration when we are dominating games. That won’t happen down south and I’m sure he will be a big success.
Disappointed he is leaving but he goes with my best wishes. He’s been a brilliant servant for us over last few years

People saying they are amazed he’s going to forest, where do you think he was going?

He quite clearly is.

Not just EPL level, but he'd walk back into the Brighton side. The same goes for the likes of Leicester and Wolves.

My personal view is he’s a very good player but prone to the odd mistake sadly one of them was in the biggest game of his career.
Had a major disagreement with a mate who has never rated him and seems to have slipped into border line hatred of him and a few others in the current side.
Goldson isn’t a Gough or a Butcher or even Weir. He’s still a very decent player and I’ll be sorry to see him go my bigger concern is replacing him with a better or similar player. The board seem unable or unwilling to provide the funds required. Add in a DofF that hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory.

Goldson is easily better than Weir.

Goldson has a lot of good qualities.
He also has a lot of not so good ones that we’ve seen a lot over the years.

No real hard feelings but feels like it’s time for everyone to have a change of scenery.
Agreed, a lot of folk seem to be too willing to forget his faults. A good player but we will hopefully find a replacement who doesn't have his lapses in concentration.

Aye you're right mate, Shane Duffy strolls it for Brighton who are 10th in the Prem but Goldson, who just played in a European final and who was part of a defence who broke a long standing British record for goals conceded in a single season isn't good enough.

I love how so many folk 3xpect a central defender who plays more than 50 games a season never to make a mistake.

I've watched some colossal centre backs in Rangers colours.

Gough, Butcher, Forsyth, Weir, etc as well as legendary defenders like Greig and Jardine.

I also watched all of them cost us goals in big games through making a mistake.

Goldson isn't up there with the very best, but he has been terrific overall for Rangers and deserves to be remembered as a very good player in a team who brought back pride to Ibrox.

There was always a bit of reaction vs. response with Connor Goldson in terms of fan judgments. Some of the abuse he took was absurd at times, likewise so was the praise as a reaction when he did play well.

His durability is impressive, but then again, if you have 4 capable centre backs, you shouldn't have to worry about one of them playing 60+ games. I think the fact we had two sicknotes in Helander and Balogun in reserve only highlighted this when it came to him. Davie Weir was similarly never missing.

He's a good CB but if I'm judging in the grand scheme of ones I've watched, I'd probably have him slightly over Bougherra. Miles behind Cuellar and from, what we saw in his brief time here, Boumsong.

Hopefully his replacement can actually read a run at the front post because it's actually ridiculous how much he switches off with that, ultimately costing us.

Rangers move on. Ross Wilson is doing something far wrong if he can't find a replacement at a decent price.

Agree with the vast majority of that PB, however give me Bougherra every day of the week mate.

Yep I did and they might get there, did you see our performances v Dortmund Leipzig etc? And look where we finished in the league.
If you want to spit hairs he might get there with forest but they will be fighting for their lives. And a relegation battle championship is his level imo
He's played group stage Europa League the last four seasons.
Last 16 twice.
The final just 3 days ago.

But aye, the championship is his level :)) :))

When he refused the new deal offered last season,that's when he should've been dropped and replaced.....if we had,we might possibly have 56 and europa league ,instead of ruing his costly errors this season (along with mc gregors).

And if he refused to leave during the last year of his contract?

You going to keep one of the clubs highest earners in the stands?

I'll not be overly sad to see Goldson go.

On the plus side, he's very consistent in terms of availability, he's a solid defender in the main, his long balls can be excellent, and he has leadership qualities.

On the negative side, he's prone to switching off, you always get the feeling he has a big error in him, his long balls can be atrocious, and he's always blamed others for goals we've lost that have clearly been his fault.

In the main, he's been a great signing, but it's best for both parties that we now part ways.
We've replaced far better defenders than Goldson in the past, and I've no doubt we'll sign far better defenders than him in the future.

I wish him well for the future... but, one thing's for sure, he'll miss us more than we'll miss him.

I honestly think Forest is about his level. He's been great and had been relatively consistent.

If he goes, he's a big loss but isn't irreplaceable. I'll wish him well,and still hope he stays, but I'll forget all about him next year if he's playing for someone else.
Hes certainly a higher level than forest. Ayer and duffy both play in the premiership. Are you telling they're better than goldson

Would love him to stay, but the big man has to look after his family. Goes with my best wishes and thanks for 55.

The club need to learn this lesson though.

I am not really bothered either way he can stay or go, better players have left.
If he is deemed good enough for the EPL then someone will sign him.
I'm not being dismissive it's just part of football the king is dead, long live the King sort of thing.

Back