Goldson

Wherever he goes is a massive step down. He will soon realise that. Money talks .He's got to do the right thing for him and his family
Wish him good luck.

The gulf in money that even a lower level EPL team can offer compared to us is off the scale. CG will know fine well that in terms of high profile footballing glory when he leaves us it is all over but he will probably pick up a 3 or 4 year contract at silly money that we are unable or unwilling to match. Dufficult one to call but as long as we hold on to Bassey for a couple more years then a younger investment beside him would be my choice and wish CG all the best.

Have never taken to him and the way he has dealt with the contract situation the past year will make me glad to see the back off him.
He's a decent decent player but he also has many flaws .

He's better than decent....the uber critics I think are in for a fright when some of the scapegoats leave.
Goldson 100% rammed it down the throats of those who had said he had chucked it this season.

Goldson's been very good for us, but am still not over Wednesday yet - what on earth was he thinking about...
He was out of position. I find the goal odd in that less is made of the cross not being shut down and indeed I do wonder if Goldson was were Bassey was whether he'd get stick for that as well.

The other side of it-is that the ball in is superb and with pace and the striker does exceptionally well-if people want to scapegoat Goldson for it then fine....I'd say several other players could have done better-not Bassey he had the hardest job defending that.

When he was on his game few could match him but sadly,for me, those games were few and far between. Give him longer than 5 seconds on the ball and you can see his brain whirring away, unsure what to do which half the time meant giving possession away cheaply or over hitting a diagonal ball.
Don't get me wrong but I am very grateful for his contribution to us but I believe there will be better out there to fill his place.

Caught a snippet of the 5Live coverage when out in the car there. Alan Hutton was saying that on Wednesday night when all the players were back at their hotel and in their family groups - and the pain was evident all around - it was Tav and Goldson who were going around the groups trying to lift the players and already looking forward to todays match and the trophy on offer. Not sure I could have done that but hopefully its got them fired up for today.

Calamity is a bit much but, otherwise, you’re correct.
Certainly cost us as many as McGregor.
I did feel for him a little when he seemed to take the brunt of the blame for our January collapse. In that same game McGregor really should have kept out Jordan Jones’s rather tame effort.

But yeah I wish I was able to just erase Worrall’s gaffs from memory the way others clearly have.

Been a great player for us and a great leader on the pitch, big boots to fill and it will need someone new brought in as Souttar for me is injury prone.

You cant always get a better player than you have when you are shopping in the markets we are. I doubt you were happy when gazza, laudrup, ferguson the first time, cuellar etc all left because them staying would have been ‘standing still’. Not comparing Goldson’s ability to them but the idea that u should move on a brilliant player who is never injured and leads the team on the park because to not do so would be standing still is mental.
He's a good player. He has done well. He's been loyal, available, gives 100% and always been dignified off the pitch. I hope he goes on to every success. He isn't however a 'brilliant' player and there will be better out there. I hope he heads in the winner today as it would be a fitting send off.

Bassey is our main centre half next season anyway. But aye, goldson will be hard to replace

Absolute clown.

He was immense for us in this European run. Wouldn't have been anywhere near the final without him.
Absolutely correct. He has been a superb reliable defender with excellent leadership qualities.

But he is at an age if we resign him he will be declining in stature and value. He also this season has made a few mistakes at crucial times. No big deal in that. However I can’t see we would make him one of our top earners.

I would resign him like a shot at the right money. But has to be the right money.

Hope he savoured his last ever home game in front of 50,000 fans, playing in Europe and Cup Finals because he won’t be in any where he’s going.

I love how so many folk 3xpect a central defender who plays more than 50 games a season never to make a mistake.

I've watched some colossal centre backs in Rangers colours.

Gough, Butcher, Forsyth, Weir, etc as well as legendary defenders like Greig and Jardine.

I also watched all of them cost us goals in big games through making a mistake.

Goldson isn't up there with the very best, but he has been terrific overall for Rangers and deserves to be remembered as a very good player in a team who brought back pride to Ibrox.
Well said mate. I couldn't agree more. Even the very best make mistakes in big moments. As I pointed out yesterday, Gerrard against chelsea.

If the Frankfurt defender hadn't made a c**t of it, then it may or may not have ended 0-0 and them being a german team would likely have won on penalties.

Nothing worse than reading pish from experts who would have Ibrox turned into flats in 5 years if they ran the club.

I often wonder what it would have been like if football years ago had so many TV replays of everything and internet messageboards like today.

A game my old dad had nightmares about was the 1969 cup final when the beggars beat us 4-0.

John Greig made an absolutely horrific mistake for one of their goals. The result meant Celtic had won the treble 2 years out of 3, added a European Cup, and we had now gone 3 full seasons winning nothing while they swept up.

I bet if FF existed there would have been some saying Greig was never a Rangers captain, that mistake was unforgivable and he'd be no loss if we got rid as there is better out there...

PS not in any way saying Goldson belongs in the same sentence as The Legend, more the expectation some folk seem to have that defenders who play 50+ games a season can never make a mistake that leads to a goal.

Not clearing a routine cross still to raw to have a balanced opinion on the good he’s done just now

Wilson’s negotiating isn’t very good, to the extent that he and Goldson’s agent weren’t even on speaking terms late last year.

Letting our £3.5m vice Captain leave for free is a monumental boob. We will need to spend several million just to bring in similar quality - so it’s several million just to stand still, really.

We failed to get in our first choice replacement (Doekhi) so it’ll be a tense few months, particularly as we also failed to land Skov Olsen.

We failed to capitalise on our 2008 run and I dearly hope we don’t do similar this time round.

Did you forget we won 3 in a row after that?

Goldson is easily better than Weir.
What’s that based on though?

Weir at the absolute tail end of his career was much more dependable than Goldson. By the time he came here Weir had already amassed over 200 games for a Premier League side, Goldson will be lucky if he ever gets near that. Furthermore, Goldson is far more likely to cost you points with a clanger than Weir ever was, big part of the reason one lifted countless trophies and the other hasn’t. Often find myself agreeing with you on here but that’s a strange take if ever I saw one.

Goldson is easily better than Weir.
I agree with this. I loved Weir but there were times we had to set up to cover his complete lack of pace and it just made us too defensive. There's no way we could've set up with 3v3 against Leipzig if Weir (during his time with us) had been in central defence up against a player like Nkunku.

He's been a good servant and part of a good team and a good vice captain. He goes with our thanks and we wish him all the best.
He's not exactly irreplaceable though. He's a good CH. We'll be able to get another good CH.

He’s been excellent for us as have we been for him, sad to see him go but goes with my best wishes, hopefully leaves with a Scottish cup winners medal after today, all the best big man

If I consider the risk factor Goldson has taken in running down his contract-
like the chances of sustaining an injury & ending up without a club (or a wage ) for any recovery period
Then I really have to wonder if that risk was worth it - only to end up at Forest ?

I know Rod Wallace made a point of avoiding contract commitments beyond their expiry dates - because he always wanted to go to a club of his choice - but Goldson doesn't seem to have quite the same approach from what I can see

The whole Goldson situation was weird IMO - but if he ends up at Forest- then it's just got even weirder

Goldson 100% rammed it down the throats of those who had said he had chucked it this season.
Yeah that might be true if a lot of the damage wasn’t already done by the time his performances picked up again. Sadly that’s how it happened.

I did feel for him a little when he seemed to take the brunt of the blame for our January collapse. In that same game McGregor really should have kept out Jordan Jones’s rather tame effort.

But yeah I wish I was able to just erase Worrall’s gaffs from memory the way others clearly have.
Hands up here, I’ve posted the correct answer but to the wrong question!
I thought it was Goldson we were discussing!
However, I’d still have posted same about Worrall.

What’s that based on though?

Weir at the absolute tail end of his career was much more dependable than Goldson. By the time he came here Weir had already amassed over 200 games for a Premier League side, Goldson will be lucky if he ever gets near that. Furthermore, Goldson is far more likely to cost you points with a clanger than Weir ever was, big part of the reason one lifted countless trophies and the other hasn’t. Often find myself agreeing with you on here but that’s a strange take if ever I saw one.

Found it ridiculous too that Goldson suddenly became better than Weir on here because he's more cultured and can ping a cross field pass.

Just the three titles, x3 Scottish Cups, x3 League Cups and run to the UEFA Cup final for Weir.

It's a weird one to compare as they're very different defenders in a way, but if I'm asked to take one at their peak going into an Old Firm game tomorrow, it would be Weir every time.

Just watched his inch perfect pass to tav for the equaliser in the semi final (game is on premier sports) . Well struggle to find someone who loves doing those long diagonal balls with such accuracy

Just watched his inch perfect pass to tav for the equaliser in the semi final (game is on premier sports) . Well struggle to find someone who loves doing those long diagonal balls with such accuracy
Was there more than one accurate pass on Wednesday?
Yes, he could hit a cracker but, certainly not always.

Found it ridiculous too that Goldson suddenly became better than Weir on here because he's more cultured and can ping a cross field pass.

Just the three titles, x3 Scottish Cups, x3 League Cups and run to the UEFA Cup final for Weir.

It's a weird one to compare as they're very different defenders in a way, but if I'm asked to take one at their peak going into an Old Firm game tomorrow, it would be Weir every time.
Can’t get my head around it at all. Weir was far more dependable, Goldson’s always had a clanger in him where as Weir slipping up was an extreme rarity, even in his old age. Goldson’s definitely a player who benefits from a large portion of our support having memories that stretch back no further than a few weeks. I mean his early season form and demeanour has largely been forgotten about already.

Also have to say I can’t imagine Weir would have ever went in front of the cameras after a league cup semi final humiliation to say he knew it was game over at half time either, all after turning in an embarrassing display that made a couple of Hibs non-entities look like world beaters.

He's a great player for us in many ways, his ever presence will be hard to replace and those long diagonals will be difficult to replace too. However it's also an opportunity for our club, there's every chance that the defensive line next year is even better, just need to get our transfers right. Also I hear Souttar can do those long diagonals too, plus you could see Bassey has been working on them from our last game

Hands up here, I’ve posted the correct answer but to the wrong question!
I thought it was Goldson we were discussing!
However, I’d still have posted same about Worrall.
Haha! Goldson has certainly not been a calamity. He’s a been a good signing and he was a big step up with regards to what came before him. But he’s certainly no world beater and I’m not massively bothered about losing him because he’s always got a big gaff in him and many of those have proven costly; but all in all I just think he’s entirely replaceable. My only real concern is that the man who will be tasked with replacing him doesn’t seem to really do anything here rather than swagger around in front of the cameras every now and then.

The gulf in money that even a lower level EPL team can offer compared to us is off the scale. CG will know fine well that in terms of high profile footballing glory when he leaves us it is all over but he will probably pick up a 3 or 4 year contract at silly money that we are unable or unwilling to match. Dufficult one to call but as long as we hold on to Bassey for a couple more years then a younger investment beside him would be my choice and wish CG all the best.
Unfortunately if the rumours are to be believed that Dortmund want Bassey then am afraid we need at least 2 centre half's & another left back just to start with .

He has been a warrior for us - not quite Mr. Dependable (as we saw to our cost in midweek) but somebody who was a first pick almost every single game.

If we were not willing to make him one of the top earners at the club then he had every right to get that sort of money elsewhere - that's the reality at his age.

He was out of position. I find the goal odd in that less is made of the cross not being shut down and indeed I do wonder if Goldson was were Bassey was whether he'd get stick for that as well.

The other side of it-is that the ball in is superb and with pace and the striker does exceptionally well-if people want to scapegoat Goldson for it then fine....I'd say several other players could have done better-not Bassey he had the hardest job defending that.

Or... it was just genuinely shite defending by Goldson.

Wright should have shut the cross down, but I mean, Scott Wright vs Filip Kostic. A lad struggling at Dundee a few seasons ago vs one of the most in-form wingers on the planet. Of course he might lose his duels there at times.

Connor Goldson should absolutely be held to a higher standard. He wants to be the highest earner at the club and is our de facto leader. A bit of play like that comes in and he just... switches off. Likewise when he was lucky not to give a penalty because he went in on Borre. The frustration lies in the fact it isn't the first time he's done that.

No one, or at least I'm not, is scapgoating him. It's just pointing out that he isn't irreplaceable and continues to make errors in high level games.

Back