Good article on Ajax turnaround and how cruyff was stabbed in the back

frankfurterbear1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...egend-John-Cruyffs-image.html#article-6971601

Also worth noting the two coaches who made the great young players play under 16 when they were 14 and so on played 2 years above to keep them on their toes.

Moved defenders into midfield to see what it was like to see having no time on the ball so when moved back into defence and facing these situations they could think quick.

Can hire Win jonk and his sidekick coach who implemented this change at Ajax.

Ajax has been plagued by politics/internal feuds/coups for decades.

Dennis Bergkamp's autobiography gives a great deal of insight into this.

Cruyff was always hurting at how poor Ajax had become. He was once sitting in the stand at a home match when Marten Olsen was the manager and Ajax were 3-0 down. He came down from the stand, took over in the dugout and Ajax ran out 5-3 winners.

In Cruyffs autobiography My Turn he talks about Ajax and mentions the back stabbing. Saying that too many directors at that time were in it for themselves and they felt he was interfering. By the way if you haven't read it I would highly recommend it.

Cruyff made barcelona what they are too. he has had the biggest influence of anyone on european football in the last 50 years. A true visionary as a player and as a coach / director

I remember watching Cruyff and a 17 year old Gullitt play at Ibrox in 1983 in monsoon conditions on a mud bath, both were exceptional even in those conditions, as was Davie Cooper.
1984, and I remember it well. Found this too on the subject:
Rangers v Feyenoord

KLM Challenge Cup 11.1.1984
3-3, Feyenoord won 7-6 on Penalty`s
Attendance 16,900
Rangers Goalscorers, Williamson, Redford, Prytz (Penalty).

The Rangers Team
Walker, Fraser, Dawson, McClelland, McAdam, Redford, Prytz, Williamson, Clark, McPherson, Cooper
Substitutes Used, Nicholl, McCoist, McDonald, McKay

1984, and I remember it well. Found this too on the subject:
Rangers v Feyenoord

KLM Challenge Cup 11.1.1984
3-3, Feyenoord won 7-6 on Penalty`s
Attendance 16,900
Rangers Goalscorers, Williamson, Redford, Prytz (Penalty).

The Rangers Team
Walker, Fraser, Dawson, McClelland, McAdam, Redford, Prytz, Williamson, Clark, McPherson, Cooper
Substitutes Used, Nicholl, McCoist, McDonald, McKay
I forgot that it went to penalties. I remember Gullitt playing on the right wing and my old man banging on all night about Cruyff in his heyday. Scott Fraser, whatever happened to him? He played a dozen games then disappeared.

Do you reckon the attendance is legit?

I forgot that it went to penalties. I remember Gullitt playing on the right wing and my old man banging on all night about Cruyff in his heyday. Scott Fraser, whatever happened to him? He played a dozen games then disappeared.

I was 10. I remember McPherson going on a mazy dribble from the halfway line and pinging a shot just over the bar, followed by some wag shouting ‘gaun yersel big Johan!’

Probably accurate. I went to a number of midweek friendlies (West Brom, Leicester, Billy Mackay testimonial v New Zealand) around that time because a school pal’s dad knew folk on the gate and used to get us in for free knowing it would always be half empty for these games.

I was 10. I remember McPherson going on a mazy dribble from the halfway line and pinging a shot just over the bar, followed by some wag shouting ‘gaun yersel big Johan!’

Probably accurate. I went to a number of midweek friendlies (West Brom, Leicester, Billy Mackay testimonial v New Zealand) around that time because a school pal’s dad knew folk on the gate and used to get us in for free knowing it would always be half empty for these games.
I would have been 12. I think the only game I was ever at that had more rain was the Osasuna game around 85 or 86.

Think Fraser lives in Oz .

I usually take these sort of articles with a pinch of salt. Ajax are now flavour of the month when it comes to youth development, I assume the wider Dutch youth coaching system will soon be similarly lauded. The previous flavours of the month were Belgium & France, before them Croatia and Spain. Even further back were Germany and France(again). The next system to be lauded will probably go full circle back to Germany; rinse & repeat the cycle, again, depressingly, missing out England or Scotland.

I suppose what I'm saying is that a successful youth development set-up is probably more art & luck than science.

I usually take these sort of articles with a pinch of salt. Ajax are now flavour of the month when it comes to youth development, I assume the wider Dutch youth coaching system will soon be similarly lauded. The previous flavours of the month were Belgium & France, before them Croatia and Spain. Even further back were Germany and France(again). The next system to be lauded will probably go full circle back to Germany; rinse & repeat the cycle, again, depressingly, missing out England or Scotland.

I suppose what I'm saying is that a successful youth development set-up is probably more art & luck than science.

Ajax youth development is now flavour of the month ?

Ajax have been developing , playing and selling on players for nearly half a century now .

71 European cup winners team had 6 home grown players
72 team had 6
73 team had 7
95 team had 9 in the squad
Current team has 7 in the squad
( figures are off the top of my head )

Ajax academy players are scattered through every league at various levels .

I understand the argument about flavours of the month but I think that has more to do with success of national teams rather than individual academies .

Ajax youth development is now flavour of the month ?

Ajax have been developing , playing and selling on players for nearly half a century now .

71 European cup winners team had 6 home grown players
72 team had 6
73 team had 7
95 team had 9 in the squad
Current team has 7 in the squad
( figures are off the top of my head )

Ajax academy players are scattered through every league at various levels .

I understand the argument about flavours of the month but I think that has more to do with success of national teams rather than individual academies .

Yet even the article claims Ajax were in 'years of disarray'. So yes, flavour of the month in terms of fawning newspaper articles and sports science eggheads telling everyone to follow the Ajax system - until the next time Ajax fall into the doldrums and some other academy or youth set-up will be lauded over.

Btw this is no criticism of the Ajax set-up,rather a criticism of those who WILL now suggest there is only one youth development set-up to copy.

Back