Good twitter thread explaining the current TV deal

Comparing to the EPL model doesn’t work. They truly have a sellable product worldwide, which was why they are able to breakdown tranches of games. In Scotland we could breakdown into 2 max (package includes min 2 OF games). I do agree allowing clubs to sell their own rights over and above the sky deal would help most, however, we are on a lot.
It doesn’t point out the lack of marketing from the games governors!

I don't think his points make much sense.

If the rest of the games were on clubs pay TV, sky would pay far less for the TV rights in the first place.

Sky are also limited with how many games they are allowed to show at each stadium, so how could you possibly limit them then let us or Celtic show all our home games on our own channel?

If Sky were allowed to show all Rangers and Celtic games, home and away, I'm certain the value of the deal we would get would be far higher.

The tv deal has gotten worse over the years.

When I first moved to the UAE in 2014, Scottish league football was available on BeIN Sports. Of course it was whatever game Sky had chosen for that weekend. We also got whatever cup competition matches were shown.

For the last 3 possibly 4 seasons Scottish football has vanished entirely from BeIN Sports, and considering some of the shite leagues they do show I can only presume it’s not getting marketed as available out here.

Interesting thread. Technology should be used where it exists to give all fans the opportunity to support their club, if they cannot, for whatever reason, get to a game, and where no live coverage of that game exists anywhere in the UK. Hopefully one day this can be examined by the time of the next TV deal.

We all know the current deal with Sky is undervalued. Sky don't care about the league. They got the rights on the cheap so they can largely keep Scottish viewers happy. The SPFL should have negotiated to have Sky market the league better, including promotion ads in their other football games.

Given the move by Apple for the MLS, it wouldn't surprise me to see a streaming platform make a bigger offer in a few years time.

Wait till the ladies get a better TV deal, with prime time slot, that will be far superior to the spfl

The SWPL has been taken over by the SPFL.

'A switch of governance for the top two tiers of the women's game in Scotland should "accelerate" a move to full-time professional football. SWPL interim managing director Fiona McIntyre is overseeing the organisation's move to the SPFL, which runs the men's senior game.'

Possibility of Doncaster negotiating a really inferior deal by selling 2 for the price of 1.

He makes some very valid points modernisation of TV rights is required but let's be honest we don't have a skilled leadership in SPFL to take it forward or be innovative

The SWPL has been taken over by the SPFL.

'A switch of governance for the top two tiers of the women's game in Scotland should "accelerate" a move to full-time professional football. SWPL interim managing director Fiona McIntyre is overseeing the organisation's move to the SPFL, which runs the men's senior game.'

Possibility of Doncaster negotiating a really inferior deal by selling 2 for the price of 1.
The epl ladies will probably be given a Saturday night slot, and double what the spfl accepts

If the rest of the games were on clubs pay TV, sky would pay far less for the TV rights in the first place.
That is true, but the SPFL needs to allow the clubs to look at what they make vs Sky paying less.

Sky are also limited with how many games they are allowed to show at each stadium, so how could you possibly limit them then let us or Celtic show all our home games on our own channel?
Limited by what? Genuine question.

Of course the problem with this always come back to an incompetent and submissive SPFL board. And even when we have a member on it, every other year, Rangers are powerless because of the voting rules.

Clubs need to be allowed to sell their own rights. I get that the sky deal (or anyone else) is guaranteed money, but surely clubs would make more with £9.99 PPV.

Again, we have the issue of two big fish in a small pond and no one else being interested in what we’re interested in.

That is true, but the SPFL needs to allow the clubs to look at what they make vs Sky paying less.

Limited by what? Genuine question.

Of course the problem with this always come back to an incompetent and submissive SPFL board. And even when we have a member on it, every other year, Rangers are powerless because of the voting rules.

Clubs need to be allowed to sell their own rights. I get that the sky deal (or anyone else) is guaranteed money, but surely clubs would make more with £9.99 PPV.

Again, we have the issue of two big fish in a small pond and no one else being interested in what we’re interested in.

From my understanding Sky (and previously BT) are only allowed to show 5 games at each stadium, hence why home games for the old firm are rarely shown unless we are playing each other or it's the run in at the end of the season.

I don't know who makes that decision but I'd imagine its the Spfl as I'm sure sky would rather show all home OF games.

From my understanding Sky (and previously BT) are only allowed to show 5 games at each stadium, hence why home games for the old firm are rarely shown unless we are playing each other or it's the run in at the end of the season.

I don't know who makes that decision but I'd imagine its the Spfl as I'm sure sky would rather show all home OF games.
SPFL really do need to look at their rules and modernise.

Sky must have photographs of Doncaster wearing the gimp gear and blackmailed the cnut into agreeing this fcukin deal. Sky really are the sports direct of broadcasters.
Doncaster is a place man for the scum. That’s the only reason the guy is still in a job. If I was as bad at my job as him then I’d have been sacked years ago. Tbh he’s deserves his specky baws booted!

Ridiculous really, stifling its own product.

If Sky were allowed to show all Rangers and Celtic games, home and away, I'm certain the value of the deal we would get would be far higher.

Something I hope doesn’t change tbh. Would be a pain in the arse for match going fans having the majority of home games moved to a tv slot

Doncaster, Shifty et al need to be removed for any progression up here.
But as long as a certain football club‘s financial future is up in the air with regards to compensation payments we’re stuck with all the placemen.

Absolutely no way that doncaster and maclennan are the best people for the job, why are they so scared of trying some new people?

Iptv is everywhere. If there is a way we could broadcast games for free on YouTube and make an equivalent amount as the pitiful tv deal by throwing in adverts at every opportunity, we should do it.

At least it would have the potential to grow if free to all.

Spfl tv deal?

53413264bee9ac4643cd38fd9bea7b20.gif

Rangers and celtic won’t allow all our home ties on sky, we made sure there was a claus3 to stop it

Iptv is everywhere. If there is a way we could broadcast games for free on YouTube and make an equivalent amount as the pitiful tv deal by throwing in adverts at every opportunity, we should do it.

At least it would have the potential to grow if free to all.
There’s nothing stopping us showing all our games on tv, we are free to bid for the rights

All the games need to be live all the time and should all be available on one platform. £20pcm on HD & £25pcm on UHD sounds fair to me.

I'm fucking sick of constantly getting ripped off every time I watch us in a different competition, it's no wonder thousands use illegal streams every game.

No need for 3pm blackouts either, these ideas haven't affected crowds anywhere in the world for any sport and only a braindead retard would still think so despite all the evidence to the contrary... hence the reason why our resident specky hotdog Dungcaster hasn't implemented it yet.

That prick couldn't sell his arse for a fiver at a gay pride event if his life depended on it.

Sky must have photographs of Doncaster wearing the gimp gear and blackmailed the cnut into agreeing this fcukin deal. Sky really are the sports direct of broadcasters.

Doncaster and Liewell travelled to London together to negotiate a long term deal when we were excluded from the SPL and accepted into the SFL.
Chickens have come home to roost.

So the league's daft rules? We've seen last season rules changed on a wim. Subs/winter break etc

While it give you some understanding of how it works it can't solely to blame at Sky Sports for blocking the right to stream/show games that going not be picked by them as the same issue was with any other broadcast deal in the past

It can't be compared with the EPL as that is done differently but it is something that the SPFL should be doing better

The clubs themselves need to move with the times and stop worrying - Rangers and Celtic are the reason that amount per home game is limited and that has been the case since 1998 when the 1st proper TV deal was struck to stop both club's home games mostly been picked

The last 2 seasons showed why we could have a main broadcaster with other games streamed by the clubs themselves and should be continued that way the clubs need to work on that

Whether it is Rangers v Kilmarnock or Partick v Hamilton it should be available if not picked under a broadcast deal

To make Scottish football mores sellable it has to move to summer start less games elsewhere on TV, also gets clubs up to speed for Euro qualifiers. It would also allow a bigger break or early finish and stop winter football.
Clubs are gonna get killed with energy costs for under soil heating and floodlights etc.
Let's play when we need neither.

Back