Gordon Banks dead

I told this story on the old board of being at a wedding and in the company of Lawrie Reilly, Frank McClintock and Davy Gibson. They spoke of Banks with reverence and awe, all commenting on him being fundamentally one of the nicest guys that they every played with and against.

RIP Gordon Banks, best keeper in the world when I was growing up. Am I correct in remembering he only won one honour, a League Cup with Stoke? Regardless of that up there with the best of the best.
Before Keepers were appreciated, Brian Clough and Peter Shilton changed that

He played against us for Leicester in a friendly in 1967. We had a “spare” weekend to fill after Berwick knocked us out of the Scottish Cup!

m9x4cj.jpg

We lost this game 1:0.

England had great keepers for a while: Banks, Shilton, Clemence. They've gone downhill in this department in recent years. The Pele save is an iconic world football moment. Condolences to Gordon's family.

Sensational goalkeeping ability. That save of his from Pele's header is without doubt up there with the greatest of all time

Watched that happening, live. Honestly couldn't believe he'd managed to keep that out.

Way more than a one legendary save goalkeeper, though. His general form was astonishing and his career really was cut far too short by the accident.

Sad loss to football.

Very sad news. Banks must now be the 4th member of the England 1966 World Cup team to die. He was a magnificent keeper back in the day. Many in the game also thought that had Banks been in goal in the 1970 World Cup QF (he couldn't play due to 'food poisioning'!) they would not have lost 3 v 2 to West Germany after being 2 v 0 up. Peter Bonetti replaced him and he wasn't half as good.

I am not an England fan, and I am not much fond their media going on about 66 either but maybe they should retire the No 1 jersey in Bank's honour as the only World Cup winning England keeper. The English FA won't though. They even treated their World Cup winning captain, Bobby Moore abysmally. Moore should have had a knighthood and a job as an ambassador representing English football in the years after his retirement.

However, one minor point is when George Best cleverly kicked the ball into the net when Banks had thrown it up in the air to kick it upfield in the Northern Ireland v England match at Windsor Park in 1971, it was a perfectly good goal and Banks had made one his few mistakes!

Sad news, the loss one of the truly great keepers of my youth who always came across as a good guy.

A winner of the WC in 66 and but for his illness on the day of the 70’s quarter final who knows. One thing for certain is the England would have progressed to the semi final had Bonetti not sold the jerseys and England were the only team to give Brazil a game in that tournament.

A great keeper. Met him once as a young boy and he was happy to chat , especially after my dad told him I was a goalie.

A genuine legend of world football and I was priviliged to see him play. A true great and he will be long remembered.

Certainly lost a FA cup final with Leicester in 1963 v Man Utd but don't think Stoke were in a FA cup final while he played, might be wrong . Greatest keeper in my lifetime.

Sad news, the loss one of the truly great keepers of my youth who always came across as a good guy.

A winner of the WC in 66 and but for his illness on the day of the 70’s quarter final who knows. One thing for certain is the England would have progressed to the semi final had Bonetti not sold the jerseys and England were the only team to give Brazil a game in that tournament.
Furthermore, I think Sir Alf took off Bobby Charlton which was an error.

I
Very sad news. Banks must now be the 4th member of the England 1966 World Cup team to die. He was a magnificent keeper back in the day. Many in the game also thought that had Banks been in goal in the 1970 World Cup QF (he couldn't play due to 'food poisioning'!) they would not have lost 3 v 2 to West Germany after being 2 v 0 up. Peter Bonetti replaced him and he wasn't half as good.

I am not an England fan, and I am not much fond their media going on about 66 either but maybe they should retire the No 1 jersey in Bank's honour as the only World Cup winning England keeper. The English FA won't though. They even treated their World Cup winning captain, Bobby Moore abysmally. Moore should have had a knighthood and a job as an ambassador representing English football in the years after his retirement.

However, one minor point is when George Best cleverly kicked the ball into the net when Banks had thrown it up in the air to kick it upfield in the Northern Ireland v England match at Windsor Park in 1971, it was a perfectly good goal and Banks had made one his few mistakes!
I was at Windsor that day. Seems like yesterday getting lifted over for an international !

RIP Gordon Banks.

So sad. My thoughts are with his family & friends.
It is ridiculous that he had to sell his winners medals to get some cash for his family especially when you read yesterday about an average player being paid £400k per week.

A true great has departed the football world.
He continues to be the best goalkeeper I ever saw.
A fine man as well.
Sad.

He had agreed to guest in the Ibrox Disaster benefit match but unfortunately had to withdraw due to injury and Peter Bonetti stepped in. Bears from the era may remember Bonetti also stepped in for Banks at Mexico 70 with unfortunate consequences for England.

Huge mistake by Sir Alf in retrospect. Charlton's withdrawal freed up Becekenbauer who scored the goal which turned the tide.

Not sure! Agree the goal was the turning point but Bonnetti was all over the place after his first mistake for Becekenbaurs goal. With the comfort of Banks, probably the greatest goalkeeper in the world at that time, in goals West Germany would have been comfortably dispatched being a work in progress team at the time.

Had always recognised it as a classic save but the more I look at it now he was moving towards his back post, it was a header hit downwards from 10 yards out (with power admittedly), but nowadays you'd expect your keeper to get a hand to it.

I saw it live on tv at the time and did appreciate it was brilliant. I cant help but think many of today's keepers have the agility to repeat it given the same situation.

Back