Gordon Banks dead

Had always recognised it as a classic save but the more I look at it now he was moving towards his back post, it was a header hit downwards from 10 yards out (with power admittedly), but nowadays you'd expect your keeper to get a hand to it.

I saw it live on tv at the time and did appreciate it was brilliant. I cant help but think many of today's keepers have the agility to repeat it given the same situation.
It's been romanticized because it was Pele and the World Cup etc. No doubt it's a great save, not taking anything away from it but these days it would be a save most keepers would be expected to make. Great man and will be sadly missed.

He was before my time but he always seemed a proper gent and you could tell how proud he was to have represented his country. RIP

When I was a lad and you were put in goal you had to be one of the legendary keepers of the day, either Gordon Banks, Lev Yashin or...…..Billie Ritchie! :)
Gordon Banks was certainly one of the very best keepers of his era and by all accounts a real humble and modest gentleman.
The word "legend" gets bandied about all too often these days but he certainly deserves the accolade.

he's entrenched in his nations psyche the way archie gemmil or king kenny dalglish are in ours.that's what you call a legacy. and no slagging dalglish on this one please. that's for a diff groundhog day.

RIP He was GOOD. Him and Lev Yashin were the big names when I was growing up.....and Billie Ritchie of course

There's an argument England would have reached the world cup final again in 1970 if Banks hadn't missed the quarter final against West Germany.

Brazil would still have won it though!

Mine too. Undoubtedly one of the greats of the game. I always hated going in goals as a kid but when I had to I imagined I was him and instantly enjoyed being in goal.

As a kid when I played up front i was always Franny Lee .... whenever I went in goal I immediately became Gordon Banks :) One of the best that ever played the game.

RIP Gordon Banks, best keeper in the world when I was growing up. Am I correct in remembering he only won one honour, a League Cup with Stoke? Regardless of that up there with the best of the best.

Won a LC with Leicester too I believe...oh aye, and a World Cup ;)

As an aside, the thing that always staggers me is that in the 150 odd years of history, that was the only trophy won by Stoke City.

I was too young to remember the 1970 World Cup. My first was 1974 but for some reason every picture and clip from the 1970 tournament "reminds" me what football was supposed to be.

WC 1970 was the first football I remember watching on TV, as a 6 year old lad. It was that tournament that made me fall in love with football. I still get goose bumps when I see games from it.

he was one of the best but why didn't he go to man utd or Liverpool with all due respect stoke and Leicester were hardly world beaters

he was one of the best but why didn't he go to man utd or Liverpool with all due respect stoke and Leicester were hardly world beaters

In today's world he would. He would be on 200,000 quid a week probably and have 5 million Twatter followers. But back then there wasn't the massive disparity in pay and the difference in lifestyles of the top players wasn't that much. A top player may have lived in a slightly better house than you had and would certainly not be living in a secure compound.
Then of course there are things like loyalty, class and playing purely for the love of the game.

In today's world he would. He would be on 200,000 quid a week probably and have 5 million Twatter followers. But back then there wasn't the massive disparity in pay and the difference in lifestyles of the top players wasn't that much. A top player may have lived in a slightly better house than you had and would certainly not be living in a secure compound.
Then of course there are things like loyalty, class and playing purely for the love of the game.
I get what your saying and that's probably why I admired him so much class player class man

Very sad news, without a doubt the best goalkeeper from my era, definitely the best English one.

I saw one of, if not his last, game for Stoke, in Adelaide, Australia 1973.

After he tragically lost sight of one eye following a car crash the day after Liverpool v Stoke in 1972-73, he tried to make a comeback on Stoke's tour of Oz in 1973. Alas, being blind in one eye, it was a bridge too far and he had to quit football (though did play in the States a few years later) following the tour ending.

Had the privilege to meet Mr Banks at Malta airport returning from my honeymoon in 1986.

Absolute gentleman and goalkeeping LEGEND. RIP Gordon.

Jimmy Ping on Twitter just can't hide his bitter Scotnat pish.

"I'm a proud Scot but I feel a huge sadness at the passing of Gordon Banks"

What has Spence's nationality got to do with feeling sad about the death of an all time sporting legend?

What makes it worse is that rather than say "sorry folks, clumsy wording" or show any contrition, he doubles down, claiming his followers will know what he mean tg and it's only "dark minds" who would think differently.

This is a professional journalist paid by the national broadcaster who does not understand how words work apparently.

In this instance, it doesn't matter what country you are from. All football fans could recognise Gordon Banks as a great 'keeper.

Jimmy Ping on Twitter just can't hide his bitter Scotnat pish.

"I'm a proud Scot but I feel a huge sadness at the passing of Gordon Banks"

what he must mean is being a proud Scot you are supposed to get a delight in the passing of an ordinary Englishman but maybe not in this case because he was a good goalkeeper.

What a hate filled prick this douche bag is.

At times even though I love Rangers to bits I fucking dislike Scotland especially these fuckers.

Back