Gordon Banks dead

gordonbanks(2).gif

73 caps, FIFA goalie of the year 6 times, won World Cup and two League Cups (one each with Leicester and Stoke), lost two FA Cup Finals with Stoke. Was blinded in one eye just weeks after retiring.

He was 81.

A true goalkeeping legend. Met him many years ago and a truer gentleman you could not meet. Sleep well sir.

RIP Gordon Banks, best keeper in the world when I was growing up. Am I correct in remembering he only won one honour, a League Cup with Stoke? Regardless of that up there with the best of the best.

That save from Pele actually looks impossible. I'll never know how he got such a strong hand on it to clear the bar.

Will be a very sad day for those surviving team mates of that day in July '66. They had a unique bond which stretched back more than 50 years. RIP Gordon Banks. Your name will live on in sporting history.

Did he lose an eye in that crash I seem to remember reading that?
Correct. He was driving to a friend's house the day after his match to watch highlights of his game as a decision had gone against him. Had a Ford Consul. Bizarre the stuff you remember as a kid But very sad news for the 1966 squad.

Memories of the days when football players seemed like superstars for their ability and humility. Sad news.

RIP Gordon Banks, best keeper in the world when I was growing up. Am I correct in remembering he only won one honour, a League Cup with Stoke? Regardless of that up there with the best of the best.
Exactly will be remembered forever unlike some of the Prima Donnas of today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back