Gordon McQueen diagnosed with dementia

I think the fact that modern balls are so much lighter will have a big impact on today’s footballers probably not being affected as much with dementia in later years.

That’s very sad, he is only 68 as well. I was hearing yesterday that COVID and lack of social interaction speeds up the process of dementia, very sad to hear .

Sorry to hear this news, hope all the help is there for the family to recieve

This is awful news. I had dealings with Gordon, way back when he was St Mirren manager.
A really nice guy, who was humble and helpful, even when dealing with someone at a lower
level, than him. Unlike some of the big heads.
Is this the CB heading issue coming up again?

My father played senior football for 16 years at centre half and left half in the fifties and early sixties. Died of a degenerative atrophy of the brain age 60 after a gradual decline over about 8 years. Never associated it with heading the ball at the time but think it very likely now, playing in a position where heading a very heavy ball from kick outs was a big part of the game.

So sorry to hear that. Best wishes to the big guy. Bumped into him a couple of times around Renfrewshire years ago, think he was from Kilbirnie.

Dreadful news.
Best wishes, an early memory was seeing the big blonde defender playing for Scotland, he also was very successful playing in England when there was a lot of Scots in all the big teams.

This is awful news. I had dealings with Gordon, way back when he was St Mirren manager.
A really nice guy, who was humble and helpful, even when dealing with someone at a lower
level, than him. Unlike some of the big heads.
Is this the CB heading issue coming up again?
yup, he was always heading the ball away or scoring headed goals :( poor guy and his family, a horrible disease

will be interesting to see if the lighter balls make a difference to today's generation

Tragic to hear this, a good Rangers fan. Great footballer in his day, vascular dementia is just so horrid, as is all forms of dementia. He was known for his heading in football. Could be a major factor.

That's really sad news, wish him and his family all the best through it. Hellish disease!

Loved him as a player, such a shame.

Sadly he won’t be the last of that generation. And even sadder as it only ever ends one way, it’s an awful disease in its final months.

Think I read a report somewhere that ex footballers had something like double the risk from all brain related disease, be it dementia or motor neurone disease.

The statement from his family makes for tough reading (via Sky news):

A statement released by his wife Yvonne and children Hayley, Anna and Edward read: "In January, Gordon McQueen, our dad, was formally diagnosed with vascular dementia.

"As a family we felt it was important to let people know, particularly if raising awareness can help others in similar situations.

"Whilst as a family we've found it hard to come to terms with the changes in dad, he has no regrets about his career and has lived life to the full.

"He had unforgettable experiences in his playing days with Scotland, Manchester United and Leeds United, and also took so much from his coaching and TV work in more recent times.

"Football has allowed him to travel the world and experience things he could only have dreamed of.

"But he wants other footballers of today's generation to know there may be risks with persistent heading of the ball.

"Dad scored some important goals in his career and memorable headers but used to stay back in training, heading the ball to the goalkeeper for practice over and over.

"He does wonder if this has been a factor in his dementia as his symptoms appeared in his mid-60s.

"The last year in and out of lockdown has been tough as dad is such a sociable person and thrives off company.

"Social interaction is key for someone with dementia and he has been deprived of this for so long. He is fully aware of his friends and family still and his memory of all things football is sharp, but his cognitive functions are not the same.

"We don't want people to be surprised by his condition or continue to ask him for media interviews or autographs which he is not able to do any more.

"Whilst he is looking forward to seeing people again after lockdown and getting the social aspect of life back, we know people will see a big difference in his health so wanted to be transparent.

"We thank everyone in advance for their understanding and hope sharing this news will help dad to face the future in a positive way."

Horrible news. A good Bear a lovely big guy by all accounts.

Was too young to see him play, but always loved the video of him celebrating McFadden’s winner for Scotland in Paris.

Best wishes to him and family.

What dreadful news. It’s probably just because I’m getting older but the players being diagnosed seem to be getting younger. It’s horrible when you start moving up the queue and it starts to get closer to your own generation of players.

Best of luck in your fight Gordon.

Back