Got to feel for Cedric Itten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright big man, hit me with your great football knowledge. What will our team look like?
Mcgregor, barasic, godlson, helander, tav, Davis, lundstram, aribo, kent, sakala Wright. I’ve nothing against itten, but he doesn’t start

I reckon Itten was rested to start on Tuesday and to give Sakala a first run-out in Scotland. Almost certainly going to be a shock to Fashion's system.

It’s easy in hindsight following a quiet afternoon for Sakala. Most of us would probably have started Sakala though. Having said that this is a big season for Itten, he’ll want to be more involved than last time around. It’s not going to be easy with a decent sized squad.

Mcgregor, barasic, godlson, helander, tav, Davis, lundstram, aribo, kent, sakala Wright. I’ve nothing against itten, but he doesn’t start
Hahaha, so pretty much the exact same team but I don’t know what I’m talking about :)) our teams are literally one player a difference. And sakala isn’t a main striker, think today’s performance showed that, he wasn’t terrible but a main striker needs to be able to hold the ball up better in our formation and sakala on today’s game doesn’t look to possess the ability to hold the ball up that Morelos/itten/roofe have. We will see on Tuesday but I think we will see itten start because he can hold the ball up better.

Thought he would have had a run out today but the gaffer probably didn't want to risk him prior to the qualifier. It's a long season and I'm sure he'll feature in a lot of game. Anyway, I wouldn't feel too sorry for him, he gets to be a Ranger. #livingthedream!

Seems like he would do well beside another striker. I wonder if we will try that now we have guys like sakala, with morelos still to come back, and roofe best in that position also. Plenty of options.

Just might be something we are working on in training

Why we need to down play our players I'll never know.
Itten to score on Tuesday.
You heard it here first.

Definitely the game would have suited him more today than Sakala due to Livingston’s tactics but the gaffers judgment was spot on with the two substitutes scoring.

I thought Itten would have started today as the big man has looked great in preseason. Sakala wasn't great today but I'd definitely go with him in Sweden as he's almost certainly going to get more space to run into.

I don't see him starting Tuesday-he's the least technical of our strikers -the ball won't stick to him but a lot will depend on whether SG thinks FS can step in...Roofe being out is a blow.

Hahaha, so pretty much the exact same team but I don’t know what I’m talking about :)) our teams are literally one player a difference. And sakala isn’t a main striker, think today’s performance showed that, he wasn’t terrible but a main striker needs to be able to hold the ball up better in our formation and sakala on today’s game doesn’t look to possess the ability to hold the ball up that Morelos/itten/roofe have. We will see on Tuesday but I think we will see itten start because he can hold the ball up better.
I’m happy to be proved wrong but players usually get some minutes in their legs if they are going to start the next game

I don't see him starting Tuesday-he's the least technical of our strikers -the ball won't stick to him but a lot will depend on whether SG thinks FS can step in...Roofe being out is a blow.
I'm not so sure mate.. He's had a good pre-season, knows how we play.. & having watched a wee bit of the Malmo/HK games, I don't think we need to worry about being overly technical when we are in and about the box, we need someone to have a shot on goal. If he gets half a chance that's exactly what he will do.

FS on for the last 25..

Morelos/Roofe both missing obv isn't ideal.. but if we concentrate & take it to them we will be fine.

Made sense to give Sakala a run today to help him get used to the team and the Scottish game. With Roofe and Morelos out for midweek, and Sakala still settling, it was imperative, probably more than in any other position, that Itten is fresh and fit for Europe.
I agree - that was probably close to Gerrard's rationale in deciding not to start him against. If however, he didn't get substantial minutes in Malmo, we'd likely have one very pissed off player on our hands.

I'm not so sure mate.. He's had a good pre-season, knows how we play.. & having watched a wee bit of the Malmo/HK games, I don't think we need to worry about being overly technical when we are in and about the box, we need someone to have a shot on goal. If he gets half a chance that's exactly what he will do.

FS on for the last 25..

Morelos/Roofe both missing obv isn't ideal.. but if we concentrate & take it to them we will be fine.

You could be right but against good quality opposition away from home Itten would be down the list for me but it's another guy who picks the team and he's done an ok job.

I thought he should've started today but SG was making a big point about 4 games in 10 days at all the post match stuff so he will undoubtedly get a chance.

I would like to see him get used more though.

You could be right but against good quality opposition away from home Itten would be down the list for me but it's another guy who picks the team and he's done an ok job.
Lol yeah he's done no bad.

It looks like he's favourite to be up front on Tuesday with no Roofe or Morelos so it makes sense. But I do feel sorry for the lad as he's done well whenever he's come into the team. Hopefully he'll get a good run and a good few goals.

I do feel for him too but im sure hes being man managed byvthe coaching staff properly and will know he has a part to play in this season. Gerrard said as much today, all going well it will be a 60 game season and we will need everyone when called upon.

Looked sharp in pre season scoring 3 goals.

Morelos missing and still can't get off the bench.

We spent quite a bit if money on him and I'd say overall he's shown more than enough in the limited game time he's had to warrant more starts.

I'd like to see him lead the line against Malmo if Morelos is still missing.
Most likely an start Tuesday as Gerrard said he picked today's team with Tuesday in mind.

He'll start when our gaffer decides so.
Exactly.

I get that it's an internet message board to debate precisely this type of nonsense, but ultimately Gerrard is the guy in charge who sees all of the players every day and decides what's the best team to pick for any given opponent.

Hazarding a guess about today, he firstly wanted Sakala to get a good run out because he's pacy and that's a commodity that should serve us well in Malmo who you'd expect to try and take the game to us leaving gaps at the back.

And secondly Roofe gets a run out too because he's proven himself to be a far more prolific striker, does well in big games and is likely to lead the line on Wednesday.

Itten, likeable big guy that he is, simply hasn't done enough in his Rangers career to date to be guaranteed a start today. He's also a different type of player and one the manager evidently felt wasn't needed for today's game.

This idea that he needs a run of games before we see him at his best is fanciful. It's not going to happen. Instead I simply think he needs to take his chance when he gets the opportunity.

Last season when given a start he didn't tend to do that. He really needs to change that this term otherwise I doubt he'll ever be anything other than a squad player.

* (Edit - just remembered Roofe is suspended for midweek so maybe big Ced will get his chance after all).

Last edited:
Today would have suited him much more than Sakala who I think would be better suited to our European games.

Sakala won’t get space to run into and use his pace in most SPL games but in Europe we are so good and sitting and attacking on the break with pace.
I agree. I felt today’s game would have suited big Itten rather than Fashion but what do I know. 3 points, 3 goals so that’s all that matters.

Sakala didn’t do much today. Difficult to say Itten would have done much better. The beauty of our team is we have goals all over.

I do think Itten deserved a chance today. Doesn’t look like his future at Ibrox is that secure

I think he will start Tuesday in Malmö , don’t think Sakala done enough to tell us he is ready for leading that front line today .
Morelos only one who really can , itten a distant next best

Correct. Itten has a good chance of starting on Tuesday.

I think he's perfect for a selfless role up front against Scandinavian opposition in a European qualifier.

Just don’t feel it was the right game for him. He will play n score plenty this season big man will be important for us this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back