Graeme Murty picking favourites & refusal to change

TrueBluesLoyal

Without trying to shift too much of the blame away from the shambles of a boardroom, what is the deal here?

IMO it doesn't even seem like inexperience is his main problem, he's genuinely just not picking his best players.. Guys like Hodson, Bates & Holt constantly in the team ahead of Cardoso & Pena and the like. He didn't even attempt to introduce anyone when it was clear something needed changed yesterday, and the only sub he appears willing to make is Herrera with 5 to go in every single game..

And it also begs the question, who exactly picked the team for the sheep games? Why has he since ditched the successful diamond (as well as Carlos Pena) and went back to the formation that wasn't working?

Just dreadful management.

I think he has picked Hudson twice. Yesterday it was to push Elton further up field which worked with him getting a goal.

Bates has played twice I believe. Though I would have started Cardoso instead.

Holt has been decent in midfield recently but was poor yesterday. He missed a Dorrans or a jack yesterday.

Well he won’t be picking KM.

Let’s see if he realises his reputation is on the line and he might try and pick a better team.

Appearing to pick favourites will win him enemies not friends

I hope he does well but cannot see it. Not filled with confidence or excitement

I've said this for weeks and was told I was accusing him of xenophobia

He clearly wants to stick to a core group that he knows. That is obvious.
What's also obvious is that there is another group of players who are held to a standard others aren't.

How can Bates be ahead of Cardoso for example ?
How can Wilson stink the place up and be untouchable ?
How can Holt be chosen as an attacking midfielder ahead of Pena?

Well he won’t be picking KM.

Let’s see if he realises his reputation is on the line and he might try and pick a better team.

Appearing to pick favourites will win him enemies not friends

I hope he does well but cannot see it. Not filled with confidence or excitement

What's weird to me is he already did this after the Dundee game.. and it worked!

Since then he was went back to a formula that wasn't working, and is just flat out refusing to play certain players that brought him success in those matches. It's bizarre and idiotic.

Is he only gonna play his best team/players after he loses in every way possible with his favourites beforehand?

I think it might be more to do with players wanting to leave the club in January.

Perhaps he has been instructed to ensure they avoid injury or that the players have displayed a poor attitude.

There is clearly a split in the squad but we don't necessarily know that Murty has caused it or can do anything about it.

Whilst i am not defending GM, what would you do if you knew that players didn't want to be here?

I think it might be more to do with players wanting to leave the club in January.

Perhaps he has been instructed to ensure they avoid injury or that the players have displayed a poor attitude.

There is clearly a split in the squad but we don't necessarily know that Murty has caused it or can do anything about it.

Whilst i am not defending GM, what would you do if you knew that players didn't want to be here?

We'll see if these rumours turn out to be true I suppose.

How it seems to me though, is that if these players do wish to leave in January, then it could be as much to do with Murty constantly overlooking them in favour of inferior players as it is certain players just not having the heart for it.

I mean who wants to stay in this league and play second fiddle to David Bates, when you were highly rated and have some suitors in your own country?

What's also obvious is that there is another group of players who are held to a standard others aren't.

- bates is terrible
- wilson has been steady at best
- holt was one of 2 midfielders, he was not an attacking midfielder!

We are potentially looking at 4 defeats in a row by the new year!

Top to bottom, we are a disgrace!!

Bates coming back in ahead of Cardoso absolutely baffles me.

I will be stunned if Bates is playing football for a living in 5 years time. He looks like his sole aim in a game is to get through it. Massively uncomfortable viewing.

I think these players are being held back because there are buyers lined up in January.

But Here’s the club’s problem now - IMO after the last two games Murty cannot do anything other than play Pena, Herrera and Cardoso against Motherwell. And I’m prepared to have a wee gentlemen’s bet that we wipe the floor with them on Wednesday, play good football, some of these players scoring a few.

What does the club do then? Another problem created where we needn’t have one. Becoming a pattern

He is sticking to the players that let him, and us down last season.

Danny Wilson, Captain? Let alone playing
Cardoso not getting a sniff
Pena, Excellent against Aberdeen, better goals to games ratio than anyone in the squad, actually provides meaningful passes forward, literally bombed out yet Holt, Candyass and Windass untouchable.
Hodson, Just WTF was he thinking
Miller straight back in, decent vs Hearts then stinking it out again

I guarantee, Halliday, MOH and Dodoo will be back and in the squads ahead of the better players we currently have.

Murty quite simply doesn't have the awareness, knowledge or Balls to be in charge.

He is looking towards the same players who let us down last season and its starting to cost us

Like it or not, we were far stronger and better without Wilson in defence, We are now losing the same amateur goals we were last season, and seeing the same crossfield to nobody passes and the bottling out of challenges.

Murty is taking us back 10 months
He is making us worse than we were under Pedro and it was clear to everyone, but the board still went with him.

We are the ones that suffer.

I will be stunned if Bates is playing football for a living in 5 years time. He looks like his sole aim in a game is to get through it. Massively uncomfortable viewing.

That’s very unfair. He’s a simple, limited stopper-style centre half who has done a good job in games but who had a very poor game yesterday.

Cardoso is a better player all day every day but that doesn’t make Bates someone who won’t have a decent enough career somewhere. I agree with your point but you don’t have to trash the lad to make it

That’s very unfair. He’s a simple, limited stopper-style centre half who has done a good job in games but who had a very poor game yesterday.

Cardoso is a better player all day every day but that doesn’t make Bates someone who won’t have a decent enough career somewhere. I agree with your point but you don’t have to trash the lad to make it

I'm not. It's an honest opinion. I genuinely do not see him making a career out the game.

Just like guys like Hegarty and Ross Perry have struggled to do.

found myself screaming at the TV from the 47 min yesterday to get Barjonas and Cardoso on as a blind man could see what was coming

any time the camera panned round to Murty - like a rabbit in the headlights, like a wee boy who lost his mammy in a shopping centre...

Clarke must have thought this is Xmas come early - when u factor in they had Boyd and B foot in their side that is up there with the worst 45 mins I have seen from a Gers side only luck stopped it being 4 or 5 and he waits till the 83 min to bring on our Mexican Int - too late son, the game was gone from the 2nd half when u did not change anything

nice man and thanks for trying but the Board (his bosses) must replace him asap and back to the U20's please

Not even sure I want Murty back in the 20s after seeing just how unaware he is at handling first team affairs.

This is the problem the board have given us; ruining the man's credibility by giving him a job he isn't ready for.

I'm not. It's an honest opinion. I genuinely do not see him making a career out the game.

Couldn’t disagree more. He’s a far better player than those guys
He’s played well in games against decent opposition. If he doesn’t progress he’s still good enough to start for a Killie or a Dundee and absolutely good enough for a Falkirk or St Mirren

These fucking chancers will be laughing all the way to the vending machine that their wee pal ‘Murts’ has been appointed.

Have a bad game, no bother boys, Murts will all give us a wee cuddle when we come in the dressing room and tell us all how hard we are trying.......

Sigh.....

He is awful I honestly can’t see where our next win is coming from he stood on the touchline with his hands in his pockets the whole match it hardly sends a message to his players on the park
He won’t know what to do with himself now he doesn’t have a zip to chew....

Cardoso is the one the baffles me the most. The guys is far better than Wilson and Bates and can't get near the pitch - he's also desperate to play and do well here.

Pedro didn't do a lot of good, but we're fast undoing the few things he did right with this sh!te. Cardoso and Alves will be off as soon as they can and so will Candieas who can no longer kick a ball for some reason.

These fucking chancers will be laughing all the way to the vending machine that their wee pal ‘Murts’ has been appointed.

Have a bad game, no bother boys, Murts will all give us a wee cuddle when we come in the dressing room and tell us all how hard we are trying.......

Sigh.....
Those pals will get his head put on the block.......

Hodson, Bates have barely played under Murty and Holt has to play considering Dorrans injury and Jack suspension though he should be putting Holt in a better position to succeed than a 2 man midfield.

If you're talking about picking favorites it's Miller when fit and Danny Wilson that are regularly in the line up no matter what

Also the diamond won't work when playing teams with good wide players. Aberdeen have nothing out wide so you suffocate them through the middle and are able to contain them, that's why we were so good against them.

He's already making a career out of the game, at worst a championship side will pick him up if we don't give him a new deal

I think he has picked Hudson twice. Yesterday it was to push Elton further up field which worked with him getting a goal.

Holt has been decent in midfield recently but was poor yesterday. He missed a Dorrans or a jack yesterday.

Apart from his goal I though John was poor but saying that there wasn’t one outfield player who you could say played well

Bates was much better than Wilson yesterday, Wilson needs binned along with Windass and Holt,

As for our U20's if none of them are better than most of the chancers on show yesterday we would be as well getiing rid of them one and all as none of them will ever make it.

McCrorie was hung out to dry yesterday being played as a CM but wasnt the worst on the park Wes and Morelos the rest can all go as far as i am concerned as a bigger shower of imposters ive never seen.

All of the above.

Results like yesterday were also happening with Cardoso and Pena in the team.
We've got a squad of bang average players because of the last 2 managers

Couldn’t disagree more. He’s a far better player than those guys
He’s played well in games against decent opposition. If he doesn’t progress he’s still good enough to start for a Killie or a Dundee and absolutely good enough for a Falkirk or St Mirren

Fair enough mate and no harm to the guy. I just don't see it.

Not even sure I want Murty back in the 20s after seeing just how unaware he is at handling first team affairs.

Something similar was said to me the other day by another fan -- along the lines of
"If he's like this with the senior team, I wouldn't like to think he's doing the same with our youths, to the detriment of other promising youngsters coming through, who might not be getting their fair go."

He is what he is an under 20s coach

he’s probably scared to make substitutions incase he makes things worse

he’s not got enough experience to manage Rangers absolutely shocking decision from the board

Bringing Hodson back in is another concern. The guy is woeful.

Pedro didn't do a lot of good, but we're fast undoing the few things he did right with this sh!te.

This is one of my big fears. Whatever the situation with Miller really was, it’s clear that “the old guard” view at Ibrox won the day. Miller made captain the week after Pedro goes and all the rest of it.

People seem to forget that Miller started to kick off (at least knowledge of it emerged) when he was dropped in favour of Pena. If that whole debacle has now been legitimised by the club hierarchy then we’re in a bad place because whatever else Pedro did wrong, he certainly brought in higher quality players. The good results we have achieved this season were typically when more of those players were in the team.

The teams picked in the past two games really do scream “agenda”

Been saying it since Pena was out the team. He may be like a man down at times but that formation with the diamond with pena as the head is our best formation. Pena brings our strikers into the game.

The most important part to it though is McCrorie sitting as a holding mid, it allowed Jack and Holt to get a hold of the middle of the park but here we are back to us ignoring all that and back to our original problem in my opinion we lose the battle in the middle nearly every single week.

Wes - Signed from Swindon
Hodson - Signed from MK Dons
Bates - Signed from Raith Rovers
Wilson - Signed from Hearts
Tav - Signed from Wigan
Holt - Signed from Hearts
McCrorie - First season in first team
John - Signed from Cardiff
Candeias - Journeyman
Windass - Signed from Accrington
Morelos - Signed from Helsinki

Look at where our starting 11 against Killie have all came from and is it any wonder we are struggling? None of them have the experience playing of playing with a big club and having the expectation of winning every week.

Out of all of them I'd keep McCrorie and Morelos for the starting 11 so that 9 positions we need to improve on and pretty much a whole new team again.

Murty is not the answer to fix this and we need to get a manager in Asap to start the rebuilding. We should be looking at buying 2 or 3 established players each season and if it takes 3 years to build a solid team then so be it. We can't keep signing below average players each season just to make up a team.

Been saying it since Pena was out the team. He may be like a man down at times but that formation with the diamond with pena as the head is our best formation. Pena brings our strikers into the game.

The most important part to it though is McCrorie sitting as a holding mid, it allowed Jack and Holt to get a hold of the middle of the park but here we are back to us ignoring all that and back to our original problem in my opinion we lose the battle in the middle nearly every single week.
Spot on

It really is an utterly lamentable , almost unbelievable position we find ourselves in.

One can only imagine players like Pena , Herrera, Cardoso , Alves, Dalcio and Nemane are all being sold or returned to their clubs come January .

Its crazy we are still.playing a lot of players from last season, yes they will play well now and again but Holt looked like a wee boy yesterday and last Saturday, Wilson & Hodson etc its depressing, i know we dont have many options but even when Murty got off the coach his face looked like he was bricking it.

The whole team is a shambles and only a decent manager and another decent budget in the summer can start to change that.

Its crazy we are still.playing a lot of players from last season, yes they will play well now and again but Holt looked like a wee boy yesterday and last Saturday, Wilson & Hodson etc its depressing, i know we dont have many options but even when Murty got off the coach his face looked like he was bricking it.

The whole team is a shambles and only a decent manager and another decent budget in the summer can start to change that.

Holt played poorly because we had a system in place where we lose the middle of the park, it is as simple as that. The diamond allowed him and Jack to press further up the park allowing them to control midfield.

But for some reason we seem to need 4 players attacking from wide and isolating our midfielders.

Holt played poorly because we had a system in place where we lose the middle of the park, it is as simple as that. The diamond allowed him and Jack to press further up the park allowing them to control midfield.

But for some reason we seem to need 4 players attacking from wide and isolating our midfielders.

I still dont think Holt is anywhere near good enough, we saw it last season aswell but yes if course the 442 doesnt help but we need bigger more powerful centre mids in there for the fight.

Holt suffered because Murts.played our defensive midfielder further up the park to play behind our front two, i ask myself Why ? we were doing well playing the diamond formation, and all of a sudden he changes the system and players.
Was that to show his authority, or was it being plain stupid, or lack of experience.
As we had no cover in the middle of the park as big McCrorrie was being played out of his normal defensive role.Murts will need to learn quickly or were in big trouble, as from now. Imo.

Back