Graeme Murty picking favourites & refusal to change

Have no evidence but just a thought: are Pena Cardoso etc. maybe on a play so many games and it triggers part of their transfer fee/wages???? hence they are benched regardless of whether they are the best option or not

Regarding Pena ( and I’m a fan ) it’s a total lottery as to what your going to get from him ,you know within the first ten mins whether Pena is up for it ,you’re either going to get a 2/10 or an 8/10 and right now id take the percentage call for me ,if ever there was a luxury player then it’s Pena ,positionally and as far as executing chances go he’s top drawer for us but I’m willing to guess that he would drive any manager up the fu cking wall ,100% unreliable .

Something similar was said to me the other day by another fan -- along the lines of
"If he's like this with the senior team, I wouldn't like to think he's doing the same with our youths, to the detriment of other promising youngsters coming through, who might not be getting their fair go."

I think it's a different scenario when working with younger players, as they can be taught to the managers disgression.
Most clubs will ask that the youth's coming thru into the first team squad, play in a similar manner to the experienced players so it's easier for them to adjust to the system. Omo.

Results like yesterday were also happening with Cardoso and Pena in the team.
We've got a squad of bang average players because of the last 2 managers

No they weren't.

Look at the team sheets, we only lost 2 league games up until Murty got the gig again. Robbed at home v Hibs by John Beaton and at at home to Celtic. Not losses to bottom of the table teams like Hamilton and Dundee or mid table Kilmarnock or St Johnstone.

A Hamilton team that hadn't won in the league at Ibrox for nearly a hundred years and a St Johnstone who hadn't won at Ibrox for nearly fifty.

I still dont think Holt is anywhere near good enough, we saw it last season aswell but yes if course the 442 doesnt help but we need bigger more powerful centre mids in there for the fight.

I fully agree but you have to play with what you have, with Jack and dorrans out we have Holt Barjonas and McCrorie, in possibly the most important part of the field so why not play to their strengths.

Holt is very energetic and is a complete nuisence and very effective when allowed to press higher so use him that way, but for some reason its like we must change shape to avoid Pena playing, despite Pena proven to be rather effective player in the final 3rd.

No they weren't.

Look at the team sheets, we only lost 2 league games up until Murty got the gig again. Robbed at home v Hibs by John Beaton and at at home to Celtic. Not losses to bottom of the table teams like Hamilton and Dundee or mid table Kilmarnock or St Johnstone.

A Hamilton team that hadn't won in the league at Ibrox for nearly a hundred years and a St Johnstone who hadn't won at Ibrox for nearly fifty.

You've forgotten to mention Europe. the league cup semi, draws against Hearts, Thistle and Killie.
We have a terrible squad of players and these results will continue to happen no matter the manager unless there is a massive improvement in the quality of the players

I've said this for weeks and was told I was accusing him of xenophobia

He clearly wants to stick to a core group that he knows. That is obvious.
What's also obvious is that there is another group of players who are held to a standard others aren't.

How can Bates be ahead of Cardoso for example ?
How can Wilson stink the place up and be untouchable ?
How can Holt be chosen as an attacking midfielder ahead of Pena?

I was banned for suggesting this prematch

Windass up top with Peña in behind absolutely destroyed Aberdeen twice.

Peña dropped for having a poor half in which the entire team did.

Windass put back out wide left.

Why?

found myself screaming at the TV from the 47 min yesterday to get Barjonas and Cardoso on as a blind man could see what was coming

any time the camera panned round to Murty - like a rabbit in the headlights, like a wee boy who lost his mammy in a shopping centre...

Clarke must have thought this is Xmas come early - when u factor in they had Boyd and B foot in their side that is up there with the worst 45 mins I have seen from a Gers side only luck stopped it being 4 or 5 and he waits till the 83 min to bring on our Mexican Int - too late son, the game was gone from the 2nd half when u did not change anything

nice man and thanks for trying but the Board (his bosses) must replace him asap and back to the U20's please
For me, I was shouting for cardoso on for Hodson, go 3 at the back, and Peña on for Candeias. Tav and John would then slot into wingback roles, McCrorie, Holt and Peña in the middle, with Peña just behind Morelos and Windass.

Wed have been harder to break down, and might even have kept the football for more than 3 passes.

Instead we stuck with a 4-4-1-1 as Windass had to try and be the link man, rather than playing alongside Morelos where he was very effective against Aberdeen.

I really don't understand why he changed something that was working then refused to change something that wasn't.

Why did Murty not give Barjonas a chance against Kilmarnock when that big boy for killie was rag dolling Holt all game?

For all his faults one thing Pedro would do is promote the youth to fill a gap in the squad and it appears that because
Barjonas didn't have a good game against Hibs, he is getting the same treatment Pena did after Ross County.

Seeing certain players discarded for not playing well when the favourites are piss poor every game with impunity is pathetic and for me is one of the main reasons Murty is not the man for the job.

We have a very poor and small squad , take Wallace , Cardoso. Alves, Jack , Pena and Dorrans out of it , and their isnt much left . If our first picks are fit and available with a good experienced manager in charge we would not be far away from challenging , unfortunately we
dont

The permutation of one barely average player versus another can only be improved if there are tactical and motivational factors that overwhelm the shortcomings-
It's obvious we aren't any where close with either now despite doing it to perfection against dolly
Beginning to wonder if these 2 results were just flukes ?

Totally agree with what a lot of people saying here about the formation. Murty appeared to have found a winning formula with the midfield diamond, but for some reason ditched it for the last two games with dire consequences. Why change a winning formula? I know the performance was poor against Hibs but they still ground out the win. There was no need to make such drastic changes.

Going back to the 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 means we're now really struggling to control the midfield area again. Windass is now being shunted out of position again, he should be upfront alongside Morelos or not at all. Candeias shouldn't be playing on current form, apart from one decent cross in second half he did nothing again yesterday. Hodson should be nowhere near the starting lineup, especially as a makeshift left-back. He was caught out badly for the equaliser yesterday. Wilson has done okay alongside Alves at times recently but really seems to struggle when Alves is missing. I'm not Cardoso's biggest fan but he needs to be given another chance in the team ahead of Bates now.

If Murty has any sense he needs to learn his lesson and get back to using the formation and team selections that served him well against Aberdeen and Hibs. It won't work all the time but it's got to be an improvement on what we've seen in the last couple of games.

Also Murty needs to develop a mean streak, I get the impression he's far too friendly with the players at present still. He is not there to be their friend he is now their boss and he needs to start showing it and demanding better performances from the squad. No player should be assured of a starting place.

I am counting the games until he's gone. I still can't believe he's got the job. It's a fucking disgrace.

He bloody doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Tactically inept and weak, cannot change a game, offers no positivity from the touchline and is about as dull and boring as you can get.

He spends his 90 minutes chewing his top with his hands inside a pair of gloves looking glum, uninterested and out of his depths. There is no inspiration or motivation.

The board have really done it this time. They are clearly Rangers men but they don't have a clue about football..

Totally agree, from 60 minutes it was obvious that a change was needed then we are 2-1 down game over.

Just a joke
got to agree was watching game at my auld dads yesterday an i kept saying murty has to make some so of change as we couldn't sustain that amount of pressure

Wes - Signed from Swindon
Hodson - Signed from MK Dons
Bates - Signed from Raith Rovers
Wilson - Signed from Hearts
Tav - Signed from Wigan
Holt - Signed from Hearts
McCrorie - First season in first team
John - Signed from Cardiff
Candeias - Journeyman
Windass - Signed from Accrington
Morelos - Signed from Helsinki

Look at where our starting 11 against Killie have all came from and is it any wonder we are struggling? None of them have the experience playing of playing with a big club and having the expectation of winning every week.

Out of all of them I'd keep McCrorie and Morelos for the starting 11 so that 9 positions we need to improve on and pretty much a whole new team again.

Murty is not the answer to fix this and we need to get a manager in Asap to start the rebuilding. We should be looking at buying 2 or 3 established players each season and if it takes 3 years to build a solid team then so be it. We can't keep signing below average players each season just to make up a team.
Good accurate post mate,sums it up perfectly.

You would think part of his remit would be to get something out of these players. Reminds me of when Pedro came in and decided nobody was good enough when a good manager would probably have got something out of a few of them.

Without trying to shift too much of the blame away from the shambles of a boardroom, what is the deal here?

IMO it doesn't even seem like inexperience is his main problem, he's genuinely just not picking his best players.. Guys like Hodson, Bates & Holt constantly in the team ahead of Cardoso & Pena and the like. He didn't even attempt to introduce anyone when it was clear something needed changed yesterday, and the only sub he appears willing to make is Herrera with 5 to go in every single game..

And it also begs the question, who exactly picked the team for the sheep games? Why has he since ditched the successful diamond (as well as Carlos Pena) and went back to the formation that wasn't working?

Just dreadful management.
I hope the supporters that chanted his name and made it easy for the board to shafts us are happy.

His appointment is the greatest insult bestowed upon us by this inept board.

Or has he turned to the old guard as he"s been told we need to get rid of the bigger wage earners?

Or has he turned to the old guard as he"s been told we need to get rid of the bigger wage earners?
Even if so that would show terrible forward planning. It might get to the point where a high earner could decline this club if they look at, the club needs soft loans, plus Pena and Herrera's gametime and subsequent binning. They would probably feel they need to score every game or else be benched/targeted and may turn it down.

They came here with aspirations to get into the Mexico squad and Calves Portugal and it's being taken away from them IMO not a good look for a club in the market

The centre half pairing he picked against killie was horrific, but I refuse to believe he is just picking favourites. The guy is trying to get the job full time.

I think he’s p!ssed off with Alves’ attitude, my view is that he’s unhappy about the amount time it too Cardoso to recover from the broken nose.

Murty isn’t without his flaws, but he really is p!ssing into the wind with that defence

He could do without Miller, Doranns, Wallace and Jack being missing.

GiveGM some time.....

Back