Graeme Shinnie dumped into Derby u23 by Derby Manager Phillip Cocu

To answer your question OP, I worry that left back may be our Achilles heel at the moment. It is easily our weakest position, but the ship has sailed on Shinnie and we should be looking for a long term solution.

He was fucking chronic against the mighty Kazakhstan

As was Halliday against the mighty East Fife. And I say that as someone who likes Halliday.

Shinnie is essentially Halliday - a committed utility player who can play in a number of positions to a certain standard. Shinnie’s standard in all of them is slightly higher than Halliday’s. I would have nothing against us getting Shinnie as cover at some point but the only position where he might dislodge a first choice for us is left back. And we should not be looking to get a utility player to be a first choice. We should be trying to buy a good left back several levels above Halliday, Flanagan and Shinnie.

Where’s the poster that claimed he would stroll the Championship? :))
To be fair he was signed by Lampard and not Cocu, it’s just bad luck for him that a new manager came in with a new style.

Last edited:
May not be the most popular of signings but with a need for a left back at our club I don't see Derby not agreeing a loan deal for him if nessacery I'm sure Gerrard paid extra attention to him at full time during one of our games
If stories are to be believed he had his chance and made his career choice so no thanks we need players who are committed to the club.

Last edited:
Morelos previously played in midfield for Helsinki. Should we start playing him there?

I was merely stating a fact as many people were saying he isn't a left back, and yes he isn't now but he was and this is where the OP probably got the idea from

I’m not saying we should sign him but a lot of people are showing themselves to be a bit clueless by mocking the OP and saying he’s not a left back, he had never played in midfield until a few seasons ago!

Most will be forming their view of Shinty at left back based on the recent Scotland disaster.

Cnut should have been left back at Glasgow Airport

Last edited:
1. He's not a left back.

2. He's garbage.

3. If he did somehow sign for us, he'd set a record for the most amount of red cards in a season. Can you see him getting away with the tackles he did for Aberdeen while wearing a Rangers kit?

4. He's garbage.

Must be bad if he can't get into a bang average Derby side.
Derby could only draw at Stoke on Saturday and now getting humped at home by Bristol city.

May not be the most popular of signings but with a need for a left back at our club I don't see Derby not agreeing a loan deal for him if nessacery I'm sure Gerrard paid extra attention to him at full time during one of our games

No.

He gets dumped into Derby’s U23 and you think we can get him to play at leftback?
1 he isn’t good enough.
2 he isn’t a leftback
3 he is exactly the type of player we don’t need.
4 he is obviously shite if he cannot get a start at Derby.

100%

He gets dumped into Derby’s U23 and you think we can get him to play at leftback?
1 he isn’t good enough.
2 he isn’t a leftback
3 he is exactly the type of player we don’t need.
4 he is obviously shite if he cannot get a start at Derby.

That’s pretty compelling evidence :D :D :D

That’s utter bull mate Ryan is a terrific player way better than shinnie!

Neither of them are bad players. Neither good enough for us in my opinion. Again, in my opinion, Shinnie is a better player. Not a great deal in it but just has a wee bit more ability on the ball for me.

The reaction on here when we signed Jack was largely dead set against it, he's a diddy, etc etc. Just because he played for Aberdeen and certainly not through any actual informed opinion of the guy. That's the same reaction now with Shinnie.

Neither of them are bad players. Neither good enough for us in my opinion. Again, in my opinion, Shinnie is a better player. Not a great deal in it but just has a wee bit more ability on the ball for me.

The reaction on here when we signed Jack was largely dead set against it, he's a diddy, etc etc. Just because he played for Aberdeen and certainly not through any actual informed opinion of the guy. That's the same reaction now with Shinnie.

Wow! you were being serious. :))

He's not great in centre mid, but he's horrific at left back.

Would never get near our team.

Shinnie would only ever make sense as a replacement for Halliday - a versatile player who gives his all. But given he’s older and more expensive, I don’t think it works for us.

%^*& right off!

We already have 3 better left backs than Shinnie and most people aren't happy with any of them!

If we are to buy a left back then it has to be someone significantly better than the 3 current options

He's not great in centre mid, but he's horrific at left back.

Would never get near our team.
Based on the Kazakhstan game? You can’t judge him on that game. I thought he was very good at left back at Caley and then initially at Aberdeen before being converted to a centre mid. I actually thought we’d missed a trick by not signing him when Aberdeen did. At that time we only had Wallace at left back but we had no back ups and we’ve been through a fair few left backs since.

So, has he been dumped with the u23s or has he - far more likely - been injured and omitted from their first team squad? This reads like two pages of a non-story about a nonentity of a football player.o_O

Have you seen this fool play left back? Jesus christ on a mountain bike he is dreadful at left back.
Thank god we did not and will not sign this crank.

giphy.gif

Shinnie is a truly horrendous footballer who would be sent off every week if he played even nearly like he did for aberdeen.

Every single option we have currently for left back is better than him there and every single centre mid option we have is better than him.

He can't have played any worse than what little I saw last night, I can see him being in and around the squad for West Brom on Saturday.

Back