Graham Roberts conducting the Orchestra

He did an online Q&A along with the magnificent bastard a few weeks ago that I was privileged enough to be involved with and it was certainly one of his sweetest moments in his time with us.

jKR6fb0.gif

this needs brought back to the emoji section

There were a few left early, so God knows how loud it might have been when King Richard equalised.
Because it was as loud a roar as I remember.
Butcher himself described it as `like a plane taking off` iirc

I think we were losing 2-0 at halftime and seriously worried it would be a tanking
One of the few games we didn’t win but the draw felt like a victory.
All goals scored into the broomloan stand as well

I was in the Govan front, right at the end near the the Celtic fans and had a great view of the goals.

The Celtic fans were utterly destroyed by that equaliser, it was fantastic to dance, sing and taunt f*ck out them as they trooped out trying to avoid eye contact with the bears.

He left under a cloud and there have been clouds at other teams he played/managed for.

Maybe he’s just been unfortunate and not got on with lots of people.

You could be right, although he was hugely popular and had played a crucial role in us winning our first title in 9 seasons, he was well on the way to legendary status before he left.

History has been kind to Roberts due to this.
I was a massive fan of Graham Roberts as a kid... one of my early heroes in a Rangers shirt. I started following Chelsea when he went there.. and they were in the old Second Division.

But you are 100% right - 3 seconds of “conducting” the crowd brought him favour that far exceeded what he deserved over the piece.
He was key to winning the title in 86/87 - nobody could question that.
He was equally as instrumental in the bad feeling in the squad the following year, especially when Butcher was injured and Roberts wanted to be top dog... in a dressing room with McCoist, Durrant, Gough & Souness.

I think Roberts only played in one victory against the Vhermin and that was just after he had signed for us, we beat them 2 nil in the new year match at Ibrox.

Robbo is a very good mate of mine. Stayed at mine when he got the Clyde job and was told it was a mistake to have Joe ‘the dip’ Miller as his No2. Proven correct later.

He gets on well with Souness nowadays. Used to engage mouth before brain!!

I was a massive fan of Graham Roberts as a kid... one of my early heroes in a Rangers shirt. I started following Chelsea when he went there.. and they were in the old Second Division.

But you are 100% right - 3 seconds of “conducting” the crowd brought him favour that far exceeded what he deserved over the piece.
He was key to winning the title in 86/87 - nobody could question that.
He was equally as instrumental in the bad feeling in the squad the following year, especially when Butcher was injured and Roberts wanted to be top dog... in a dressing room with McCoist, Durrant, Gough & Souness.
Apparently Souness gave him the captaincy in Butcher's absence to appease him and even Richard Gough stated in his book that Roberts was very nasty towards younger members of the squad when he should have been encouraging them.

He met his match in Souness when he thought his popularity with the fans would see him stay after the bust up they had. I loved Roberts in his time with us and he never speaks ill of us but I suppose the way he got on at the time off the field was just the way the guy was.

I was just behind him in the Copland Front Yellow Section that day, unbelievable scenes when we scored the equaliser and the conducting was brilliant.

Wasn't even born when this game took place but definitely one of the most iconic images in our history.

Wasn’t at this one so I listened to this game on Radio Clyde which was generally a good listen back then before it morphed into Kiddy Fiddler FM. When King Richard equalised NEVER HEARD A ROAR LIKE IT SINCE OR BEFORE! Thought the speakers on our stereo had blew!

I was right at the back in the Club Deck and ended up several rows further down when big Rico scored, the whole place went crazy with people standing on their seats giving it laldy, it was a magnificent moment, one I will certainly never forget, it was the best drawn game that was ever at.

Still annoys me till this day that I missed Roberts goalkeeping debut,I got thrown out after our first goal.

I was right at the back in the Club Deck and ended up several rows further down when big Rico scored, the whole place went crazy with people standing on their seats giving it laldy, it was a magnificent moment, one I will certainly never forget, it was the best drawn game that was ever at.
You were at the back of the Club Deck in 1987?

You're luck you're still alive then, the club deck was not there in 1987. What a great fall you would have had.

Back