Graham Sharp

KazKoz

Just listening to a “Quickly Kevin” podcast where a Everton fan wrote in to tell a story about Graham Sharp if Everton game from 80s and early 90s..
In 1990 BsB had the rights to the Skol Cup Final. In those days not many people had a subscription and somehow the grandad of the writer happened to mention to a friend of Graham Sharp that his son in law had a subscription and if he ever wanted he was welcome to come over.
Well unexpectedly he said wanted to come round to watch the Rangers v Celtic Skol Cup Final of 1990.
Sure enough he turned up with 8 cans of Skol to support Rangers, even congratulating the writer, who was a 13 year old Everton fanatic, on his quick reaction to Gough’s equaliser. Walters then went on to get the winner.
Funnily I don’t really remember Graham Sharp being linked with us but I could be wrong.

Think his dad was editor of the herald (maybe) back in the day. Vaguely knew him and played footy once or twice with him as a lad in millerston/ steps. I think he was a gers fan at the time. Seemed like a decent bloke.

I think Sharp was linked with us as Souness was looking for that big target man at the time as it did not work out with Colin West and Mark Falco but we got Kevin Drinkell instead. Sharp formed a very prolific partnership with Adrian Heath at Everton and if we had got him, he would have been a good partner for McCoist.

I always wanted to him play for the Bears, he’d have been immense beside Hately or McCoist and would be been a great replacement for Johnston at the time.

That's what I remember, did Ricky Sharp go on to be a policeman or am I thinking of someone else
Just googled him and indeed he did join Strathclyde police. It also refers to the Hibs game I mentioned in my earlier post, says we were losing 3 0 at HT, can remember losing 3 1 but couldn’t remember that.:oops:

Just listening to a “Quickly Kevin” podcast where a Everton fan wrote in to tell a story about Graham Sharp if Everton game from 80s and early 90s..
In 1990 BsB had the rights to the Skol Cup Final. In those days not many people had a subscription and somehow the grandad of the writer happened to mention to a friend of Graham Sharp that his son in law had a subscription and if he ever wanted he was welcome to come over.
Well unexpectedly he said wanted to come round to watch the Rangers v Celtic Skol Cup Final of 1990.
Sure enough he turned up with 8 cans of Skol to support Rangers, even congratulating the writer, who was a 13 year old Everton fanatic, on his quick reaction to Gough’s equaliser. Walters then went on to get the winner.
Funnily I don’t really remember Graham Sharp being linked with us but I could be wrong.
He was never linked with us but never hid his affection for Rangers.

Remember an old story about Everton v Rapid Vienna euro final in 1985. Before kick off, Sharp turns to Andy Gray (or vice versa) and comments about how unthinkable it would be if they didn't beat a team playing in green and white!
Now that would be a real bluenose striking partnership

Cool story bro . . .

Back in the early 80's I was contacted by a friend of my aunt's, to photograph her daughter's wedding.
I had a meeting with them beforehand to discuss stuff and the girl told me to deliver the proofs to her mum as she was "heading off to England to live". I asked her if her fiance worked down there and she nodded.
I turned up on the day, to discover that the guy who worked in England was actually Graham Sharp.
Most of the Everton squad were there and I got a few decent shots. Graham's dad was quite high up in The Glasgow Herald and he gave me a contact number at the Liverpool Echo - "You could end up with a good few quid" he told me.
I called the guy in Liverpool the following day, only to be told, "Nah, mate, not really interested in them. Now, if it had been Liverpool, different story". Daft Scouse git.
I think Everton went on to win the FA Cup the following year and went on to have the most successful period in their history over the next few years.
Still, I managed to get Adrian Heath's dinner at the do, as he hadn't turned up.

Grateful For Small Mercies Loyal.

im sure he scored against us in colin jacksons testimonial game (we won on pens),still works at goodison as an evertonian ambassador, and does a bit on local radio,

Goals are round the wrong way mate.

Walters equalised.

Goals are round the wrong way mate.

Walters equalised.
Yep of course your right I was listening to the podcast in the wee small hours on a bus in the middle of Kazakhstan and temporarily lost my mind.. actually I was repeating what was on the podcast and at the time I couldn’t recall any final where Walters scored the winner but didn’t think it mattered anyway.. I stand corrected

Walters got the equaliser and Gough got the winner

He had a brother at Rangers, Rikki.
Rikki got a half against Hibs at Easter Road but never developed from there.
Last I read of him was that he became a policeman.

I remember we were linked with him in the late eighties at the height of the Souness revolution and he looked a good fit for Rangers. I guy who was training our football team knew Sharp and told us that he he had no interest in returning to Scotland so we could forget about him coming to Ibrox.

Back