Graph - Points at the 20 game mark - Past two decades

HinshieBluenose

A bout of insomnia has me creating graphs at 2am! I'm pretty sure that the data is correct having checked it against info on wiki but if there is a glaring error please let me know. I should mention that I added our deducted points back on for the 2011/12 season. The outer bars on the horizontal show the points at the 20 game mark and the inner bars show the points by the end of the season.

It shows we have had our best points return after 20 games, in the premiership, for the past two decades. Personally, I think the tally this season will be very similar to 2001/02, in our favour this time of course.

[url=https://postimg.cc/K4HXB5Fr][/URL]

Edit: You should be able to open image in new tab, to see the graph in more detail, by right clicking the graph and selecting that option. If you get an error, you can save the image and view it that way.

Last edited:
Great post. Helps to show how incredible this season has been so far but also a reminder of how long we have to go. Although, could the distance to go be exaggerated by the left axis seemingly not starting at 0? Ie we’re on 56 points at 20 games, but that bar isn’t anywhere near half the height of c****c’s 100pt season? Also nice to know we’ve played another 3 since then and won them all, which helps my graph induced anxiety.

A bout of insomnia has me creating graphs at 2am! I'm pretty sure that the data is correct having checked it against info on wiki but if there is a glaring error please let me know. I should mention that I added our deducted points back on for the 2011/12 season. The outer bars on the horizontal show the points at the 20 game mark and the inner bars show the points by the end of the season.

It shows we have had our best points return after 20 games, in the premiership, for the past two decades. Personally, I think the tally this season will be very similar to 2001/02, in our favour this time of course.

[url=https://postimg.cc/K4HXB5Fr][/URL]

Edit: You should be able to open image in new tab, to see the graph in more detail, by right clicking the graph and selecting that option. If you get an error, you can save the image and view it that way.
Well done mate

Great post. Helps to show how incredible this season has been so far but also a reminder of how long we have to go. Although, could the distance to go be exaggerated by the left axis seemingly not starting at 0? Ie we’re on 56 points at 20 games, but that bar isn’t anywhere near half the height of c****c’s 100pt season? Also nice to know we’ve played another 3 since then and won them all, which helps my graph induced anxiety.
You make a good point QP... updated graph below.

[url=https://postimg.cc/5XSYqQCx][/URL]

Thanks for this.
It shows that we did have a poor post Christmas last season.

However in simple terms it is not an annual thing.
The previous couple of years we were consistently inconsistent earning about the same points before and after the 20 game line.

Wish you had shared this in a better format, OP.

Going by this I would have a generous guess that the tims will finish the season somewhere between 90 and 95 points.

Right now. Maximum points between now and the end would give them 98 points.
I just don't see that happening.

If anything we are the team more likely to get maximum points.
(Which would put us on a pretty spectacular 110 points)
Though I reckon if we are approaching that then the league will be done with 3 or 4 matches remaining and we'll drop points and not care once we are champions.

With them getting 90 to 95 (my opinion) that gives us a cushion of between 15 and 20 points, realistically.

HOWEVER, in every season where they have gone over 90 points they have been ahead of their current points total. So I am being really generous to them by even predicting a 90 point finish.

You could make the argument that the SPFL teams are worse than ever meaning a long tim winning run is more likely.

On the other hand they have only had a lower points total than this on 4 other occasions.
Finishing the league with 89 (winners on last day), 81 (losers), 79 (winners) and 87 (winners) points. OK so maybe you could argue that they dropped daft points because they knew the league was done in the latter 2.

You could also make the argument that they should be terrified of playing us instead of their "we can win the two OF games and then the gap is X" nonsense. Aye, good luck beating Rangers this season. Go ask Benifica how picking up 6 points against us went.

At the end of the day this is ALL about Rangers now.
We have 45 points to play for and picking up 34 of them wins us the league.

We are very, very, very, close now. I need to go and lie down.

Going by this I would have a generous guess that the tims will finish the season somewhere between 90 and 95 points.

Though I reckon if we are approaching that then the league will be done with 3 or 4 matches remaining and we'll drop points and not care once we are champions.

With them getting 90 to 95 (my opinion) that gives us a cushion of between 15 and 20 points, realistically.

HOWEVER, in every season where they have gone over 90 points they have been ahead of their current points total. So I am being really generous to them by even predicting a 90 point finish.

You could make the argument that the SPFL teams are worse than ever meaning a long tim winning run is more likely.

On the other hand they have only had a lower points total than this on 4 other occasions.
Finishing the league with 89 (winners on last day), 81 (losers), 79 (winners) and 87 (winners) points. OK so maybe you could argue that they dropped daft points because they knew the league was done in the latter 2.

You could also make the argument that they should be terrified of playing us instead of their "we can win the two OF games and then the gap is X" nonsense. Aye, good luck beating Rangers this season. Go ask Benifica how picking up 6 points against us went.

What’s wrong with the format?

I have all the data stored on a spreadsheet... if you have any suggestions then I'd be happy to oblige.

I concede that precedent doesn't count for much in this game, but interesting to note no team has had the level of points we have at that stage and the lost the league. Added to that we've won 3 games since and the scum have dropped further points, it's hard not to get optimistic.

Looking back over this. Tims have played 2 more games now and only put another 2 points on their total.

Seems very unlikely that they will manage to go higher than 90 points this season.

Seems almost certain that we will go over 90 by some distance.

Looking back over this. Tims have played 2 more games now and only put another 2 points on their total.

Seems very unlikely that they will manage to go higher than 90 points this season.

Seems almost certain that we will go over 90 by some distance.
We would need to lose 6 of our last 14 games not to get over 90 points now. They only need to lose 1, draw 2 of their last 16 not to reach it. Gives a bit more perspective as to the absolute car crash of a collapse required for us to lose the league from here.

Checking in on this again, great work Hinshie Bluenose. Worth a bump to keep the discussion going.
I'll do a 25 game version after the mhanks have played their 25th game on Tuesday 2nd Feb. The 30 game comparison will be interesting as that is when they have caught up with their games in hand. They play Aberdeen on Saturday 27th Feb and we play Livingston on Sunday 28th. That's assuming no postponements mind you.

Back