Graphic Showing Average Wages For Position and Age in the Top 5 Leagues

drgriffen

EU6QNsDXsAAkCKe

Average wage of £61,000 a week in the premier league.

There are people struggling to get by on £94 a week from the government. These PL players are making that every FIFTEEN MINUTES, 24 hours a day.

That's £1,525 per hour if you break it down in terms of a 40 hour working week.

To make Universal Credit amounts, a premier league footballer could turn up for training at 9am on a Monday and leave at 9:03.

People talk about how a footballers career is short blah blah. Imagine you had someone following you around handing you £400 on the hour, every hour, every single day for ten years

I love football but if you break it down.

Training 3 hours per day 4 days a week.

Playing 1 90 minute game once a week with 50 minutes warm up and cool down.

Folk will say but their lifestyle, the majority of folk these days eat well and dont drink the same as in previous decades.

Sickening.

The striking thing there is the huge difference in average salary for a 30+ forward in Spain in comparison to elsewhere, even the EPL. The English come out tops in virtually every bracket except that one - where they lag almost £2m per annum behind Spain. Presumably distorted by the big name forwards at Barca and Real who are, in the main, over 30?

There are people struggling to get by on £94 a week from the government. These PL players are making that every FIFTEEN MINUTES, 24 hours a day.

To make Universal Credit amounts, a premier league footballer could turn up for training at 9am on a Monday and leave at 9:03.

People talk about how a footballers career is short blah blah. Imagine you had someone following you around handing you £400 on the hour, every hour, every single day for ten years

The short career thing is an irrelevant pile of bollocks when it comes to top players. Especially when many of them will go into management, coaching, punditry or simply invest their riches elsewhere whilst also accumulating crazy interest every day. The top players also take in eye watering sums from multiple sponsorship deals, so when they’re crying about wages they’re not factoring in those sponsorships. I’m shocked at how many on here sided with Shrek when he was doing his “woe is me/poor tortured footballers” act.

If you're the best actor in the world, you get paid a pretty extravagant amount of money for it. If you're in the best bands, making the best music and getting the biggest crowds then you're going to earn a lot of money. Nobody ever gets really annoyed at Tom Cruise getting £20 million per film because they once acted in a local theatre or complains about Coldplay selling 2 million albums because they played a few gigs at the ABC. I really don't understand why people get annoyed footballer wages or the basic economic reasons for it. How much are you willing and or able to pay to watch football on TV or go to the stadium? That's risen in line with consumer demand. People will pay to watch it in their homes, in pubs and everywhere else. Hundreds of millions (if not something I would guess approaching over one billion or about 20% of the entire planet) probably watch football or are involved in industry that benefits from showing live sport or attending games. If you think of every single person in the world who's ever kicked a ball, these guys at the very highest level are going to be a very, very small percentage that are paid in line with their relative levels of skill. The only thing I can find myself being angry about is the tax avoidance that their earnings will undoubtedly be going through - but that can be said for almost everyone with wealth beyond spending their monthly salary.

Last edited:
If you're the best actor in the world, you get paid a pretty extravagant amount of money for it. If you're in the best bands, making the best music and getting the biggest crowds then you're going to earn a lot of money. I really don't understand why people get annoyed footballer wages or the basic economic reasons for it. How much are you willing and or able to pay to watch football on TV or go to the stadium? That's risen in line with consumer demand. People will pay to watch it in their homes, in pubs and everywhere else. Hundreds of millions if not something I would guess approaching over one billion or about 20% of the entire planet probably watch football or are involved in industry that benefits from showing live sport or attending games. If you think of every single person in the world who's ever kicked a ball, these guys at the very highest level are going to be a very, very small percentage that are paid in line with their relative levels of skill. The only thing I can find myself being angry about is the tax avoidance that their earnings will undoubtedly be going through - but that can be said for almost everyone with wealth beyond spending their monthly salary.

Folk get angry because every one of them thinks 'it coulda been me' LOL.:)

The striking thing there is the huge difference in average salary for a 30+ forward in Spain in comparison to elsewhere, even the EPL. The English come out tops in virtually every bracket except that one - where they lag almost £2m per annum behind Spain. Presumably distorted by the big name forwards at Barca and Real who are, in the main, over 30?

I wonder if that's something to do with the idea of players at their peak challenging themselves in Spain for Real Madrid or Barcelona. As great as Ronaldo and Suarez were in England, the second they exploded into world class players that looked by far and away the best players in England, they moved to Spain. I wouldn't be surprised if you see Salah/Firmino/Mane following suit.

I wonder if that's something to do with players being in Spain at the peak of their careers.

Probably more to do with Messi, Benzema, Suarez etc all being in the 30+ group I guess - and on eye-watering wages. Probably distorts the numbers - as will Ronaldo in Italy. In England the only big name 30+ I can think of is Aguero. Anybody else? Vardy?

Now do the same thing for billionaire company owners and those who have carried/inherited wealth.

At least you can see the footballers working for it on the training pitch and in games.

Most of us would do it for nothing. For them to get paid so much is unreal. But that’s the market rate

If you're the best actor in the world, you get paid a pretty extravagant amount of money for it. If you're in the best bands, making the best music and getting the biggest crowds then you're going to earn a lot of money. Nobody ever gets really annoyed at Tom Cruise getting £20 million per film because they once acted in a local theatre or complains about Coldplay selling 2 million albums because they played a few gigs at the ABC. I really don't understand why people get annoyed footballer wages or the basic economic reasons for it. How much are you willing and or able to pay to watch football on TV or go to the stadium? That's risen in line with consumer demand. People will pay to watch it in their homes, in pubs and everywhere else. Hundreds of millions (if not something I would guess approaching over one billion or about 20% of the entire planet) probably watch football or are involved in industry that benefits from showing live sport or attending games. If you think of every single person in the world who's ever kicked a ball, these guys at the very highest level are going to be a very, very small percentage that are paid in line with their relative levels of skill. The only thing I can find myself being angry about is the tax avoidance that their earnings will undoubtedly be going through - but that can be said for almost everyone with wealth beyond spending their monthly salary.

I do haha. I think actors and pop musicians are the most overpaid people on the planet. You don’t even have to be great at either to be a success now days, you just need to be good looking.

One of the reasons why modern day players are so tough to manage if you look at under 23s in England averaging over £40k a week, crazy when most will not have played 100 first team games.

Crazy money. Would be interesting to see the table expanded to include other leagues in Europe to see just how much of a difference there is.

The EPL in particular, this shows why they are so desperate to restart the current campaign.

So many fans of all clubs will have died.

Hold a minutes silence or applause, depending on the feelings of the nation, and all is fine.

Continue as if nothing has happened and take up 15 minutes TV time debating a VAR decision.

Money is bordering on ruining football.

Reactions: cav
The sums involved are crazy. Surely the bubble will burst at some point? Perhaps the current crisis will see things change but can’t see it sadly.

The EPL in particular, this shows why they are so desperate to restart the current campaign.

Hold a minutes silence or applause, depending on the feelings of the nation, and all is fine.

Continue as if nothing has happened and take up 15 minutes TV time debating a VAR decision.

The EPL has gone to shit imo before this all came about,ruined by too much money.I don't even think the product is very good anymore either,it's mostly propaganda imo.

In comparison the German Bundesliga is very well run more so for the fans,and the matchday experience as such is night and day with the EPL.

Bordering?

Money has ruiled football for years, if not decades now. I don’t think we’ll ever see a time where it doesn’t anymore, unfortunately.

This just proves that players want to play in the EPL, not because it’s the best league in the world, but because they pay shit loads of moola.

Reactions: cav
I love football but if you break it down.

Training 3 hours per day 4 days a week.

Playing 1 90 minute game once a week with 50 minutes warm up and cool down.

Folk will say but their lifestyle, the majority of folk these days eat well and dont drink the same as in previous decades.

Sickening.
They’re getting paid for having a unique talent.
You could teach a professional ninety percent of our jobs in five years plus ongoing on the job learnings.
Ninety odd percent of us could never learn what even the lowest professional footballers do.

Interesting that it highlights how important young keepers are to the Italians. Up to 23 they earn more than everyone else in the league.

I do haha. I think actors and pop musicians are the most overpaid people on the planet. You don’t even have to be great at either to be a success now days, you just need to be good looking.
You dont even have to be good looking. The films that gross the most in the last few years are Superhero films, action franchises and animated films so you could throw either throw a mask and cape on or sit in a cosy recording studio knowing that you're film is going to pull in a billion and you are going to be paid pretty handsomely because of it

They’re getting paid for having a unique talent.
You could teach a professional ninety percent of our jobs in five years plus ongoing on the job learnings.
Ninety odd percent of us could never learn what even the lowest professional footballers do.

Okay I'll grant you this.

It is a unique talent.

However not at this crazy weekly wage. Many players from decades ago would have to go find a job once retired from the game. They never drove a Porsche or had a fancy house. They were normal men.

Baxter was the best we will ever see, he didnt have this luxury of all the money.

You dont even have to be good looking. The films that gross the most in the last few years are Superhero films, action franchises and animated films so you could throw either throw a mask and cape on or sit in a cosy recording studio knowing that you're film is going to pull in a billion and you are going to be paid pretty handsomely because of it

Or take steroids, bulk up within a year and boom you look amazing.

It is a unique talent.

However not at this crazy weekly wage. Many players from decades ago would have to go find a job once retired from the game. They never drove a Porsche or had a fancy house. They were normal men.

Baxter was the best we will ever see, he didnt have this luxury of all the money.

They were by and large playing in front of crowds in Scotland and limited TV money.

These players are being watched by hundreds of millions of people worldwide. The difference in how much they're paid is all about the difference in scale.

It is a unique talent.

Just before that, we sent kids up chimneys etc.
I’ll bet its not just footballers as well.
I’ll bet you Murray and Federer etc are earning more by comparison than McEnroe and Connors.
Bolt more than Christie.
Rose more than Faldo.
Johnson more than Heath
I‘d even bet there is a bigger gap between a GP and the average earnings today than thirty years ago.
The world has moved on.
Not always for the better but, if you were getting it, you wouldn’t be complaining.

A famous footballer of yesteryear once said on this subject, “I could learn to be a nurse in five years, a nurse could never learn what I do”.

Back