Great Article in the Athletic - Stephen Kelly

No offence. He is 21, if he was going to have a career at Rangers he would be in our squad already.

We need to move up to players who can cut it in the Champions Lge.

He's not in the same planet as Davis, ability wise at the moment.
He's a decent young player, but nowhere close to starting in our midfield yet.

His loan at Ross County has been mixed, some good, some not so good.
He was part of a midfield totally outplayed by Championship Inverness last Friday night.
Exactly, we as Rangers fans love a player coming through the ranks and as a club and fanbase we hate to let go.
I am one of those.
We need to be honest, the boy is not going to play for Rangers.
Players that are 21 and good enough to play for the first team are not out on loan

Exactly, we as Rangers fans love a player coming through the ranks and as a club and fanbase we hate to let go.
I am one of those.
We need to be honest, the boy is not going to play for Rangers.
Players that are 21 and good enough to play for the first team are not out on loan
Players mature at different rates, Kelly was handed a long extension in summer, management team obviously rate him.

He might not make it but saying that he's definitely not is just nonsense.

Any time I have seen Kelly on the ball I have thought he looked a decent prospect. At times with County he is getting the ball lobbed over the top of him and having to do everything with the limited times he gets the ball.

I am on the fence, deserves his shot in preseason though to play amongst better players.

Would like it if he showed enough to remain with us and pick up minutes.

We will likely spend on midfield in the summer and if we dont move anyone on it is going to be a huge ask.

Maybe needs to build up physically and be more aggressive but he looks like hes improved on his run at Ayr, where he did well.

Problem is, hes 21 and never played for the first XI. Unlikely to do so next season either.
It’s really good that you are or would never ever be, not near his game management.
stephen kelly is doing well, without your input...

Last edited:
A mate of mine, whose opinion on things football I value, is an Ayr Utd fan. He watched him every game when he was on loan there and thought he was the best player he’d ever seen there. A different class from the rest.
If he can develop physically we should give him every chance ( keeping in mind some players can be late physical developers ). I think big Hughes values skill and he is probably in the best place to develop up there.

For those mentioning his physique, this is taken from the article, with the bottom quote from Hughes.

Kelly’s dedication to improving his 5ft 9in physique is obvious to everyone he works with, which is why he has put on several kilos of muscle the past year.

“He’ll be the last one away home. What time is it now? Half-past two. I’ll go back over (after this) and he’ll be still in the gym, working with the sports scientist on how he becomes more explosive.

The Davis replacement chat isn’t helpful. Kelly currently isn’t a starter for Ross County, and they play three centre mids. Great to hear good stuff about him though.

Answer your own question here.
Who do you see him replacing?
I’m with the other poster here.
He isn’t going to displace Davis, Jack, Arfield or Kamara.
Could see him replace Arfield. Could see him cover for the others when required. Could see him improve further. Young players do improve.

The Davis replacement chat isn’t helpful. Kelly currently isn’t a starter for Ross County, and they play three centre mids. Great to hear good stuff about him though.
He has done very well for County in a struggling team. He has the potential to do better. He serves a chance in our squad.

Any time I have seen Kelly on the ball I have thought he looked a decent prospect. At times with County he is getting the ball lobbed over the top of him and having to do everything with the limited times he gets the ball.

I am on the fence, deserves his shot in preseason though to play amongst better players.

Would like it if he showed enough to remain with us and pick up minutes.

We will likely spend on midfield in the summer and if we dont move anyone on it is going to be a huge ask.

That's it. Let's see if he sinks or swims. Gerrard is a big fan of his.

People look way too much into performances alone when it comes to these loan deals. It's about developing physically and learning the game. Bear in mind Celtic were on the verge of punting Callum McGregor to League 2 before Deila came in and took a look at him in pre-season.

Arfield was having an outstanding season, until he got a serious injury and is still playing his way back to full match fitness.
To say he's been poor for months is embarrassing.

Kelly isn't at the same level of our current midfielders and if any of them leave, it won't be him replacing them.

Kelly could and in my opinion, should be one of our squad midfielders.
As regards Arfield, let's be honest, he has never been outstanding. He's had decent games and masked a lot of poor games with snatching a goal. In Europe he was well off the pace. The praise he receives is well over the top. I actually heard on 'heart n hand' that he played well against Cove Rangers. He wasn't even in the game. Now that's embarrassing

That's it. Let's see if he sinks or swims. Gerrard is a big fan of his.

People look way too much into performances alone when it comes to these loan deals. It's about developing physically and learning the game. Bear in mind Celtic were on the verge of punting Callum McGregor to League 2 before Deila came in and took a look at him in pre-season.

Smith was on the verge of letting Ferguson go, when he broke in to the team he had the physique of the skinny wee teenager he was.

If you have the ability the physique will come.

From the very little I have seen of him he can retain possession and pass.

I think he can make it with us.

Back