Great Article in the Athletic - Stephen Kelly

Wokster

Official Ticketer
Yogi and Mark Kerr both raving about him. Gives everything in training, constantly trying to learn and the last one to leave etc. Stats look good for someone his age and taking in to consideration, Ross County's lack of possession in games. Hopefully, he fulfils his potential and can be earmarked as the successor to Davis.

Maybe needs to build up physically and be more aggressive but he looks like hes improved on his run at Ayr, where he did well.

Problem is, hes 21 and never played for the first XI. Unlikely to do so next season either.

Maybe needs to build up physically and be more aggressive but he looks like hes improved on his run at Ayr, where he did well.

Problem is, hes 21 and never played for the first XI. Unlikely to do so next season either.

He made 25 appearances last season which isnt bad.

Why is it hes unlikely to start next season though??

He isn’t much less phys than the Legend , but ye greater phys would defo help Stephen . Vg player .

He made 25 appearances last season which isnt bad.

Why is it hes unlikely to start next season though??
25 appearances for Ayr United in the Championship isnt bad but its nothing massively impressive. I think its important any young players not in the XI or close go out and play somewhere because theres no substitute for game time. Hes done that, build on it with more appearances for Ross County in the SPFL and looked good for them doing so.

However those things are a 1,000,000 miles away from doing it for Rangers week in week out. At his age he needs to play so unless hes going to play (replacing who?) theres zero point sitting on the bench or making 2 or 3 starts across a season. If youre not moving forward youre going backwards.

The last step is the biggest and its all down to the player. Hes got to show Gerrard hes good enough and hungry enough to make the grade.

Great play maker always looking to get that pass through to front men.
Watched him play from an early age and was always the MoM every game.

Doesn't need to play every week but if the management don't fancy him at this stage then best to move on with buybacks or sell ons.

We'd all love it to work out though.

He made his debut for the first team against Ayr Utd in the League Cup in 2018.

The coaching staff are apparently fans of him so he'll get a fair assessment on his return for pre-season.

He’s not a starter though.
I’m not sure what point you are making Taz , I’m just saying he could do at least as well as BZ has this season and get better across the season/s . So there is a role in the squad for him . Could he start games regularly ? Not by choice but were he in the squad then he would have to step up and cover at times . Possibly start vs weaker oppositions just like BZ done this season vs st mirren and Hamilton .

also remember Stephen has qualities they don’t , he is more of a goal threat and better dead balls than both BZ and SD

standards are rightly moving upwards bit I feel he can come to the squad next season or the one after , all being good .

I’m on record as saying I think he’ll got out on loan for 6 months, come back and learn from from Davis with a hope of taking over.

It’s massively unlikely, but I’m still and optimist.

He could easily be used to fill in for Davis when needed next season. His physicality doesn't hold him back either, he gets stuck right in.

He's not in the same planet as Davis, ability wise at the moment.
He's a decent young player, but nowhere close to starting in our midfield yet.

His loan at Ross County has been mixed, some good, some not so good.
He was part of a midfield totally outplayed by Championship Inverness last Friday night.

Answer your own question here.
Who do you see him replacing?
I’m with the other poster here.
He isn’t going to displace Davis, Jack, Arfield or Kamara.

Sorry I was assuming he would be at ross county on another loan.

Meant why would he not start for ross county.

Brain fart moment

Ross County fans are absolutely slating him on that thread

Not good reading

Ross County fans are pretty unhappy about their last three results.

They also don't seem fond of John Hughes. They're in general a bit deluded about where they are as a football team.

Most non-partisan assessments of Kelly have been pretty positive. Though those seem to factor in that he's a young player playing in a shite team.

N
I didn’t say he wasn’t a quality player nor did I say he wouldn’t be

I said the Ross County fans, of which there are many on that thread, aren’t speaking highly of his time there
either did I say you said lol

you did post a view of RCs fans and I posted a view of a Rangers fan who has watched Stephen . Me lol .

He was part of a midfield totally outplayed by Championship Inverness last Friday night.

County had 61% possession in that game, they weren't outplayed in midfield. It was their defence that was hopeless and attack toothless.

Of the three goals County lost - 1st and 3rd were balls floated into their box from free kicks 40-50 yards out which they failed to defend. 2nd goal Inverness broke from a County corner with one ball up the pitch and the solitary Inverness attacker managed to outdo two useless County defenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPP

That has happened to every footballer imo MU . But I didnt see the match in question so cannot commment. However yes we can all have bad games off days and ones where the team collective just doesn’t work .

It is hard for our youngsters.
When you look at the likes of Viniscus jnr at Real Madrid at 22, you realize how far they need to go. Patterson looks like the only realistic prospect.
Others have flattered to deceive.

You'll need to show me where I said he was on the same planet as Davis, ability wise? We're not getting anyone who is.

I said he can be used to fill in when needed when Davis needs a rest, games like Accies/St Mirren/County at home.

I've watched Kelly quite a few times this season and he's always impressed. Friday night I didn't see but by all accounts the whole County team were poor.

You only have to look at this thread to see why so many of our young players don't make it though, they don't get given a chance.

I’m not sure what point you are making Taz , I’m just saying he could do at least as well as BZ has this season and get better across the season/s . So there is a role in the squad for him . Could he start games regularly ? Not by choice but were he in the squad then he would have to step up and cover at times . Possibly start vs weaker oppositions just like BZ done this season vs st mirren and Hamilton .

also remember Stephen has qualities they don’t , he is more of a goal threat and better dead balls than both BZ and SD

standards are rightly moving upwards bit I feel he can come to the squad next season or the one after , all being good .
No problem mate.
I just thought you’d have the lad starting in our midfield ahead of those mentioned.
For what it’s worth, I think you’re right in that he could easily do what Zungu was asked to do last season.

And the fact is that the names you mention will very probably be competing with new midfielders which SG brings in. For various reasons, which have been discussed previously, our midfield is set for a bit of an overhaul in the summer.

You'll need to show me where I said he was on the same planet as Davis, ability wise? We're not getting anyone who is.

I said he can be used to fill in when needed when Davis needs a rest, games like Accies/St Mirren/County at home.

I've watched Kelly quite a few times this season and he's always impressed. Friday night I didn't see but by all accounts the whole County team were poor.

You only have to look at this thread to see why so many of our young players don't make it though, they don't get given a chance.
I watched the Inverness game county were poor especially in defence but Kelly was always looking for the ball and working harder than any other county player he was the best of a bad lot ....to see the best of Stephen he will need to play with players on his wavelength and see if he can make the jump just like Kent Morelos Kamara jack Paterson barasic aribo they all had ability got the chance and stepped up ... unfortunately for our youth it’s the getting the chance that’s the hard bit as for the county supporters their team has struggled the last two seasons and it’s very easy to blame it on a 20 year old gers loanee

Generally accepted that most players hit their peak about 26-29?!? Its needle in a haystack to find one who will take a place in a team like ours at a young age. We don't have the patience, we never have. We need to be at the stage though where players coming through are given every opportunity and then moved on for a fee and not just released like we seem to have been doing for years.

I can’t see why Stephen Kelly can’t be one of our 6 midfielders next season , we’ve had not a lot from Zungu , Joe Aribo has played a lot , but imo , he can struggle in the very hardest matches with the off the ball side of the game , he’s perfect for the games against parkthebus fc tbf.

Kelly’s got 2 victories vs septic this season on his cv , & sooner or later we need to promote our best youngsters.

I would take him into the squad next season and give him game time when we can. Look at Scott Wright - his dedication to improve, build himself up physically and give everything on the pitch when he gets the chance, this is how I see Kelly progressing under our own management and coaching team.

County had 61% possession in that game, they weren't outplayed in midfield. It was their defence that was hopeless and attack toothless.

Of the three goals County lost - 1st and 3rd were balls floated into their box from free kicks 40-50 yards out which they failed to defend. 2nd goal Inverness broke from a County corner with one ball up the pitch and the solitary Inverness attacker managed to outdo two useless County defenders.

I watched the game and I didn't think he'd a particularly good game, although he put a great corner in for County's goal.

I've seen him have some good games this season, but some quiet ones too.
I like Kelly and he was an absolute stand out at Ayr Utd last season in the Championship last season, but I thought he'd have more of an impact at County than he has.

I'm definitely not slagging him off, I just don't think he he's ready for our 1st team squad quite yet.

I think he's a good young player, but not good enough for our squad yet.

I also think Kennedy, Maxwell, Mayo and a few others out on loan are good players too, but none of them are at Patterson's level at the moment and that's why they're not in our squad.

It's not a criticism of them, but we're league champions and a Europa League last 16 level team.
Only exceptional players make it into our squad.

I watched the game and I didn't think he'd a particularly good game, although he put a great corner in for County's goal.

I've seen him have some good games this season, but some quiet ones too.
I like Kelly and he was an absolute stand out at Ayr Utd last season in the Championship last season, but I thought he'd have more of an impact at County than he has.

I'm definitely not slagging him off, I just don't think he he's ready for our 1st team squad quite yet.
To be fair to him I think it would be difficult for any good prospect to stand out in that Ross county side so I think that has to be taken into consideration. But he'll have learned loads playing in a side that's struggling compared to a team that's flying.

I think a 6 month loan at a higher level would suit him I actually think if we could get him loaned out to a side in Europe depending on how things are with this pandemic maybe somewhere in Holland, Denmark or Belgium look what that type of loan has done for Hendry at the mentally challengeds

In my opinion he will not make it at us and I've saw him quite a few times this season, he's always on the move, always available for a pass, but I think he really doesn't have the quality required while on the ball, I hope I'm wrong though.

I think he's a good young player, but not good enough for our squad yet.

I also think Kennedy, Maxwell, Mayo and a few others out on loan are good players too, but none of them are at Patterson's level at the moment and that's why they're not in our squad.

It's not a criticism of them, but we're league champions and a Europa League last 16 level team.
Only exceptional players make it into our squad.

are you classing Zungu , Bassey , Stewart and Itten as part of that statement ?

are you classing Zungu , Bassey , Stewart and Itten as part of that statement ?

All 4 of them would stand out a mile at Ross County.

Itten is a Swiss Internationalist and has scored big goals for us.

Bassey is younger than Kelly and has already impressed in our 1st team.

Stewart stood out at Dundee, Killie and Aberdeen and got his move to us on the back of it.

Zungu is a full South African internationalist, but can't get in our team because we've got the best midfield in the league.

That's why they're currently in our squad and Kelly isn't.

I like Kelly and I think he's still got a chance to make it with us, but he's not good enough yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Davis is 36, Jack is always injured, Arfield has been poor for months (and plays in slightly different position) and Kamara could be the one player we cash in on.

Davis is 36, Jack is always injured, Arfield has been poor for months (and plays in slightly different position) and Kamara could be the one player we cash in on.

Arfield was having an outstanding season, until he got a serious injury and is still playing his way back to full match fitness.
To say he's been poor for months is embarrassing.

Kelly isn't at the same level of our current midfielders and if any of them leave, it won't be him replacing them.

So we fall back on a first division player?
Do you believe Stephen Kelly has the quality to be playing in the Rangers first team for next season?
I’m not saying he can’t be part of a squad but I just cannot believe he can be any more than Patterson is this season.
If that.

All 4 of them would stand out a mile at Ross County.

Itten is a Swiss Internationalist and has scored big goals for us.

Bassey is younger than Kelly and has already impressed in our 1st team.

Stewart stood out at Dundee, Killie and Aberdeen and got his move to us on the back of it.

Zungu is a full South African internationalist, but can't get in our team because we've got the best midfield in the league.

That's why they're currently in our squad and Kelly isn't.

I like Kelly and I think he's still got a chance to make it with us, but he's not good enough yet.

what about answering the question that was asked ?

Think something people need to bare in mind is that Kelly has been playing a holding midfield role all season with County. Last season with ayr he played as an attacking box to box midfielder which is more natural to him.
I think this loan has been very good for his development as its put him out his comfort zone. Biggest weakness in Kelly game is his awareness, he's always been a terrific ball player with good technique and can carry ball well but his game awareness is what he's had to work on and he's been forced to due to position he's playing where that is very important.

Whether Kelly makes it at rangers remains to be seen but its a very big preseason for him and upto him to make an impression.

Back