Great English grounds that are no more

I used to love watching games at White Hart Lane in the seventies on TV. Also every game at the Baseball Ground was fascinating as the pitch would turn into a farmers field after about 10 minutes.

The league cup and FA cup semi’s always seem to be played at Villa Park and Hillsborough.

I think Hillsborough got done up for the 66 WC and was sometimes referred to as the Wembley of the North.

Attending a Leicester match { Walker Stadium] a number of years ago I was genuinely surprised at how close it was to Filbert Street, I'd say no more than half a mile. Leicester Tigers Rugby Unions'ground is in the same area,indeed we parked there for the game.
the Cricket ground is right there too inetween the old Filbert St and Welford Road.

FGD4nPz.jpeg

Maine Road obviously gets my vote! Some fun times there and the atmosphere on Derby days was much more vociferous because we were shit and for the most part huge underdogs. Will never forget how loud the boos were when the tannoy guy tried to announce Utds team but was completely drowned out by the whistles and boos.

Elsewhere, went to Highbury in Arsenal's last season there. A 1-1 draw with Bolton. Went to Upton Park as well. Tidy, tight grounds with decent atmospheres in both of them.

One of the first games I ever went to as a kid was Burnden Park, Boltons old gaff. Had a supermarket behind one of the goals. Was a bit shit there tbh. New ground is better and pretty good for noise actually even though it's one of those that's situated on a retail park.

This is the ground which immediately came into my mind. First ground I ever saw Rangers play at outside Scotland, in 1993 for Gary Bennett's testimonial. Superb day out.
Did you go to the strippers Roker club put on? I thought the bears were going to riot as the strippers wanted more money. :)

Old grounds visited..
Spurs , Brighton, Bournemouth, but to me it's the same, Wigan , Swansea, Cardiff ,Hull ,Cov , Sunderland, Huddersfield,Walsall , Shrewsbury stoke, Derby, Halifax and Wembley.Thats what I can think of without checking
Edit.Reading and Bolton

Did you go to the strippers Roker club put on? I thought the bears were going to riot as the strippers wanted more money. :)
Alas no, due to my age at the time and the company I was with that day.

Sounds like I missed an even better day than I actually had!

I was lucky enough to visit Goodison, Highbury, Upton Park and the old Wembley.
Maine Road as well, but that was for an Oasis concert.
All great grounds.

Only visit of the old Wembley I had was on a work trip to McDermott's across the road, and i nipped in to a tour one afternoon. Me in my suit and tie and a dozen or more primary kids. Talk about looking out of place. But I got to lift the cup at the top of the stairs, so well worth it!

Everton soon to leave Goodison which will be a sad day for me.
I was down last season for a game and enjoyed the ‘old’ feeling to the place, bang in the centre of the houses and the traditional concourse etc. The new stadium looks great, but with the modern builds come a slight sense of soullessness.
Every time you see our stadium facade in particular, it makes you admire it even more and gives you a sense of fascination for the history that’s went before us.

I was down last season for a game and enjoyed the ‘old’ feeling to the place, bang in the centre of the houses and the traditional concourse etc. The new stadium looks great, but with the modern builds come a slight sense of soullessness.
Every time you see our stadium facade in particular, it makes you admire it even more and gives you a sense of fascination for the history that’s went before us.
The new stadium does look good and is in a good location which is a bonus but Goodison will be missed.

Only visit of the old Wembley I had was on a work trip to McDermott's across the road, and i nipped in to a tour one afternoon. Me in my suit and tie and a dozen or more primary kids. Talk about looking out of place. But I got to lift the cup at the top of the stairs, so well worth it!
Went there on a school trip in 1979. Lined up beside an English school in the tunnel, then both schools walked out with the sound of the crowd played over the tannoy. Then did the same as you, walked up the steps and got to lift a cup, presented by some woman that must have worked there!

When I saw the ground for the first time, when the bus pulled up, I remember being a bit underwhelmed, it looked a lot smaller than I'd imagined it to be. There was a sign up advertising greyhound racing and I recall thinking that this was the greyhound stadium, and the football stadium was somewhere else!

Back