Great headers of the ball?

Big Bawz Baloo

Watching Bobby Charlton tonight on t.v
What a player;what a player for heading the ball.Some of his headers were like some players shots.
I know there is a thread open on him but what im asking is are there or were there any other players you can remember are just as good with the head?

Watching Bobby Charlton tonight on t.v
What a player;what a player for heading the ball.Some of his headers were like some players shots.
I know there is a thread open on him but what im asking is are there or were there any other players you can remember are just as good with the head?
Mark Hateley, peter withe, Paul mariner.

Best I’ve seen for us was Hateley. He and Laudrup were a match made in heaven.

In terms of other players, Tim Cahill was famously very good with his head. Bierhoff wasn’t bad either, Cristiano of course.

Hateley,Gough,Butcher and I’d even add Trevor Steven into this category aswell, he scored some cracking headers for us,the one at Tannadice and the one v them at Ibrox immediately spring to mind.

If my old dad was still here, he would insist on the name Willie Thornton being put forward.

Willie Waddell cross, Willie Thornton header.... goal.

The Tommy McLean and DJ partnership of their day.

If my old dad was still here, he would insist on the name Willie Thornton being put forward.

Beat me to it.

All the rest mentioned weren't too shabby either!

The 2 partnerships you mention are the 2 I was brought up hearing about from my late Grandpa and dad.

Some of the footage I've seen of DJs headers are incredible.

Parlane seemed to score his fair share of headers too.

Those 3 plus Gray and Hateley must be up there as our best.

Was never aware of Bobby Charlton being known for his heading ability.
All I ever heard about was how he could skelp a ball with either foot.

Surprised Gus Poyet hasn't had a mention. Seem to remember half his goals for Chelsea being bullet headers.

My late Dad was also of the opinion that Willie Thornton was a great header of the ball. I did not see Thornton so Derek Johnstone for me.

andy gray seemed to prefer heading to kicking.
Graeme sharp seemed to able to hover when he jumped for headers

If I was to mention Rangers players only, I would suggest the best that I have seen would be:
Derek Johnstone
Mark Hateley
Duncan Ferguson
Andy Gray
Daniel Cousin - remember his cleaning out McManus!
Butcher, Gough and Marvin Andrews were superb with their defensive headers.

Another vote for big DJ. If he got his head on it, it was in the net. Power, accuracy, ability to actually get up there and win the header. Best I've seen. With Tommy McLean and Davie Cooper supplying him we were unstoppable back in the day.

For a Rangers player i would have to say Hateley.

The first non Ranger that springs to mind is Les Ferdinand.

Big DJ, Hately, Butcher, Colin Jackson, Big Marvin (of course) and Andy Gray.

Also as a young pup I remember the Welsh forward line of Wyn Davies, Ron Davies and John Toshack being called the 'Welsh Flying Squad' because of their aerial prowess. Toshack in particular.

WATP

DJ, Mo Johnstone was decent in the air for his height and of course Laudrup for his bullet header to win us 9 in a row :):):)

Marvin Andrews for me he once headed a ball from our own box to the half way line i couldn't believe what i saw.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Jimmy Millar. He was unbelievable.

And for non Rangers players, Alan Gilzean was peerless.

Best that I've ever seen in a Rangers jersey is Derek Johnstone, without a shadow of doubt.

Tommy McLean supplied the crosses and big DJ did the business

Both D J and Hardly,took everything to get there first,big McQueens' goal against England comes to mind as well

Back