Great headers of the ball?

James Beattie seemed to score a fair few headers for So'ton. I genuinely thought he could have replicated that for us.

Naismith is fantastic in the air for his size, dado And as mentioned hately, marv, Dj,

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Jimmy Millar. He was unbelievable.

And for non Rangers players, Alan Gilzean was peerless.

Gilzean was brilliant in the air. He scored 4 against us at Ibrox in a league game. Don't know how many were headers.

Watching Bobby Charlton tonight on t.v
What a player;what a player for heading the ball.Some of his headers were like some players shots.
I know there is a thread open on him but what im asking is are there or were there any other players you can remember are just as good with the head?

Wullie Bauld, Billy Simpson, John Chasles Derek Johnstone.
What a player;what a player for heading the ball.Some of his headers were like some players shots.
I know there is a thread open on him but what im asking is are there or were there any other players you can remember are just as good with the head?

John Charles, Wullie Bauld,Billy Simpson, Derek Johnstone,Wullie Thornton.

Great player and honest with it, he could do most things on the park, including being good at heading a ball.Im proud to say that he was in the RAOC.2 yrs before myself also. A gentleman.

The first time I ever saw him was in a scoreless draw at Ibrox when he was playing for Livingston, and several of his headed clearances went straight into our half!

I spoke to a Motherwell player once, and he said big Marvin could header the ball further than some of them could kick it.

I remember headed passes were once a feature of the game. In the 4:1 New Year game of 88/89 season, Rangers scored two goals that started from headed passes.

In the lead up to the penalty, Butcher won a header and the ball went straight to Walters; for the 4th I think it’s John Brown who wins a header and passes the ball to Drinkell.

DJ was before my time but Hateley, Ronaldo and Butcher were the 3 that sprang immediately to mind.

Sergio Ramos also very good.

Another vote for big Derek.

I remember seeing Frank Stapleton scoring with some brilliant headers.

Big George Young could head the ball from his own 6 yard box into the opponent's half. Denis Law with his flicked headers was tremendous and Jimmy Millar was a great header of the old tube and cover. I remember that Welsh forward line and Ron Davies was tremendous. But the best header of a ball for me, was John Charles.

Dj, Hateley obv, Les Ferdinand and big Josh.

For a Ranger it's big DJ for me, unsurpassed as far as I'm concerned. Out with Rangers too many to mention but I'm surprised no-one has gone for Pele, scored a fair few with his head including the first in the 1970 WC final with what many will regard as being a textbook power header, magnificent.

From the teddy bears it has to be Butcher and Hateley, further afield Marco Van Basten and Miroslav Klose....

Davie Dodds was superb in the air.Always scored headers against us.Was done when we got him though.

I remember the Toshack - Keegan partnership for Liverpool in the 70s. Keegan scored more, but Toshack set up loads of them by winning headers, as well as scoring a fair number with his head too.
It did help he was about 6 feet 5 right enough.

Big DJ, Hately, Butcher, Colin Jackson, Big Marvin (of course) and Andy Gray.

Also as a young pup I remember the Welsh forward line of Wyn Davies, Ron Davies and John Toshack being called the 'Welsh Flying Squad' because of their aerial prowess. Toshack in particular.

WATP

Good call. DJ was the best I saw but Andy Gray was the bravest. Each of the other guys you quoted were excellent.

Hately was great but one of my all time favourite goals from a header would be Laudrup against Dundee Utd.

John Clark Dundee united he could header it Further than I could kick it, played in the same team as him a few times and he was a beast going for the ball .

Derek Johnstone was better, he scored from 18 yards with a bullet header during the 1978 home internationals and proceeded to score with his head right through his career.

From what ive seen derek johnstone for me is the best rangers player ive ever seen head the ball.

But my favourite is cristiano ronaldo, the way he hangs in the air is tremendous

Back