Great McGregor, Davis staying, next step players evolving from Youth set up.

The Goal Machine

I cannot stress how important this will be. We seem to have a lot of talent in the younger ranks. I know they have to be good enough but we have to trust them someday.

We keep talking about pathways and I am sure Gerrard and McAllister are aware of.this.

Getting players coming through obviously would save us transfer fees and through time make money for us.

The next step surely.

If they're good enough, absolutely.

I fancy the plan is for McCrorie to take over from McGregor.

I agree.
As we all know our youth set up, like everything else, was in tatters after 2012, it wasn’t until Warburton came in and totally restructured it did we have something decent again. But it takes years to bear fruit, I personally think in the next couple of years we will really start to see the benefit of this.

Agree with the OP, the first team squad cleared out of excess players. The youngsters to bolster these positions. The two Mcrorie's, Patterson, Mayo and Kennedy for starters.

Nothing better than seeing one of your youth players coming right through the ranks, aka Barry Ferguson. So difficult to make the step up but we seem to have a few contenders, trust Stevie G to manage them properly and give them every chance.

I cannot stress how important this will be. We seem to have a lot of talent in the younger ranks. I know they have to be good enough but we have to trust them someday.

We keep talking about pathways and I am sure Gerrard and McAllister are aware of.this.

Getting players coming through obviously would save us transfer fees and through time make money for us.

The next step surely.

I agree-these three signing are great for the next 12 to 18 months but we need to be sure that we have a couple who are ready to transition into first team players. We know we will need to pay out and buy certain players but hopefully we have some quality young kids that can make the jump.

I think that’s why the management are so keen to off load the older players. The youth team are showing up well, and Stevie will want to give them a taste of first team football, but there are too many bodies at the moment.

As well as the uptick in performances and results, another step forward this year is that we are far less reliant on loan signings than we were last year.

Obviously winning trophies is the main priority but you would hope that that can be achieved and see home grown players step up with the quality to fill the squad roles that we are spending a lot of wages on without too much playing time and then some of them start to make the breakthrough as first team regulars.

Like everything else Gerrard has done so far, I am confident he will deal with this correctly too. The youths that are good enough will flourish under him and will get their chance in the first team soon enough

The next step is to win a trophy.

Until we do this the pathway will become harder and harder.
This more than anything. Kids can get ridiculous offers financially from mediocre clubs. We want the kids who know they have to be outstanding just to be considered for first team duties. We definitely need those kids to know they have a real chance of getting into the first team

The kids must be looking at Grezda, Barker, King and a few others saying I'm far better than them but I'm not getting a chance to prove it.

As well as the uptick in performances and results, another step forward this year is that we are far less reliant on loan signings than we were last year.

Obviously winning trophies is the main priority but you would hope that that can be achieved and see home grown players step up with the quality to fill the squad roles that we are spending a lot of wages on without too much playing time and then some of them start to make the breakthrough as first team regulars.

According to tweets yesterday there’s an African and Yank playing for youth team not exactly home grown

Plenty of senior players that are not getting game time like Doc Halliday Polster King etc should make way for some of our Youth players to get into the first team squads on matchdays

Our squad is top heavy. I said in another thread that I think in the next year or two we'll release almost every senior player out of contract who isn't getting regular game time. Gone are the days of giving such players the benefit of the doubt and re-signing them.

This will give our youths a clearer pathway to the first team.

Back